Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
thanks robk. both cars were good all weekend.
Now just think if you had an X-ray car, Jaco tires and some other sticks how much faster you would have been..... Nice job man.....even with one good hand you still did that. Now lets see that setup for the stock EC car.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

STLNLST hard at work......

Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil

That's what happens when spektrums go wild....LOL
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dude, what's funny is I was sitting in the bleacher, couldn't really see that part of the track cause I was sitting, I remember seeing PW coming close to STLNLST and thinking "watch STLNLST panic and take out his team leader" ...looked somewhere else on the track and heard

C-R-A-C-K P-O-W S-M-A-S-H

...my 1st thouht was "oh crap, STLNLST's gonna be gettin a NIIICCCCEEE email"

Originally Posted by Advil

Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I wish we could have gotten a picture of Chris' (Crimson Eagle) face when STLNLST's car hit. He was standing right there! When I looked up he was even whiter than normal (if that is possible LMAO!).

I think his comment was "I almost shat myself" complete with British accent.

Totally funny!!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

LMAO
Old 03-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Interesting, I was running rubber on carpet today and had the problem where the front had too much grip and the back kept swinging out at all but dead slow speeds, it never grip rolled etc but I couldn't get the smooth lines I wanted as I was having to concentrate on steering inputs too much.

I added rear droop to try to make sure that the wheels were always in contact with the ground which did improve things, I tightend the rear diff to try to induce some understeer (it was too loose anyway due to a recent rebuild), then tried a stiffer rear roll bar and stiffer front springs to reduce the steering.

These all helped a bit but what else would you guys suggest?

Ideally I want more rear grip but reducing the front grip might be the better way to go.
What do you think?

Thanks
Skiddins

Skiddins,

My first question is at what part of the turn are you loosing grip, mid-corner or exit... Then we can figure out more precisely what is happening...

HOWEVER,
From what you are describing it seems that the the rear end of your car is roling excessively. That is why you have added a stiffer rear roll bar, and increased the droop....

The first thing I would try before playing with the suspension is to increase the rear down force. If that does not help then I would start working with the suspension.

When the problems are with excessive rear roll you can also increase the rear spring rate... and try higher viscosity shock oil.

NEXT....
Readjusting your roll centers to transfer less wight through the springs and more through the RC. To do that you RAISE the RC. Try raising the FRONT RC to decrease the weight transfer at the front (reduce front traction). To do this with Mi2EC you have to get creative as there are not enough holes on the shock tower to lower the camber link (you lower the camber link towards the center of the car to RAISE the RC). YOu can raise it 0.50 - 1.0mm at the C-hub and see if that helps to reduce the weight transfer.
The key factor is to maintain the car balanced.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys just looking at tuning options whats the upper hole for the rear hinge pin in the carriers do?? you have two hole for the hinge pin and the manual doesnt explain what the upper of the 2 does? do you guys ever use it?? what characteristics (leave the spelling alone i know its tempting) does it ad or change??
thanks all
Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

for those of you interested in the setup on my stock ec car this weekend at the nationals, see below.

it wasn't perfect, but it had the cornerspeed to get the lap times. i am going to work on the ec car more over the next few weeks and i'll let you know what i learn.

- chris -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MI2EC_foam_Goetz.pdf (252.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Chris, YGPM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Chris,
How did you come about getting the width measurement?
later
jim
Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
PW
Tech Elite

I'm assuming the width should read: Front/189mm Rear/190mm
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PW
I'm assuming the width should read: Front/189mm Rear/190mm
I figured that, but with Seaball you never know
BTW how was your car at the Nats?
Later
jim
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BATT_MAN
Skiddins,

My first question is at what part of the turn are you loosing grip, mid-corner or exit... Then we can figure out more precisely what is happening...

HOWEVER,
From what you are describing it seems that the the rear end of your car is roling excessively. That is why you have added a stiffer rear roll bar, and increased the droop....

The first thing I would try before playing with the suspension is to increase the rear down force. If that does not help then I would start working with the suspension.

When the problems are with excessive rear roll you can also increase the rear spring rate... and try higher viscosity shock oil.

NEXT....
Readjusting your roll centers to transfer less wight through the springs and more through the RC. To do that you RAISE the RC. Try raising the FRONT RC to decrease the weight transfer at the front (reduce front traction). To do this with Mi2EC you have to get creative as there are not enough holes on the shock tower to lower the camber link (you lower the camber link towards the center of the car to RAISE the RC). YOu can raise it 0.50 - 1.0mm at the C-hub and see if that helps to reduce the weight transfer.
The key factor is to maintain the car balanced.
It was mainly mid-corner.

In hindsight the rear roll bar should have come off if anything, certainly not stiffer, I was tired and there wasn't really enough time between rounds for major changes, front roll centre would have been my next step to reduce the front grip.

How does the change in handling compare between just moving the top link and/just adjusting the roll centre with the spacers?

Skiddins
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah 189/190. also the rear toe is whatever the stock kit produces. i thought that was 2*?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.