Wiki Posts
Search

Help, dirt got in my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Originally Posted by rc-mike
Are you sure the engine is broken to start with? You said everything looked okay inside. Before I worried about fixing it I would see if it is broke first.
Engine can't even hold it's own weight up any longer, where as before it could hold itself the pipe and the filter assembly all day long.

I'm going to need a pinch, probably a new con rod and new bearings.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfrosty
Let me worry about my bills, and yes they are covered. I'll find something soon, but I'm just SO pissed right now, racing season starts next month and I'm without a mill.

And for you to assume that I would let my family go without for some toy cars is really ignorant of you.
I've got a brand new Go 3-port for sale for $99, a skilled driver can win with that engine all day long at the club racing level.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Engine can't even hold it's own weight up any longer, where as before it could hold itself the pipe and the filter assembly all day long.

I'm going to need a pinch, probably a new con rod and new bearings.
you need a new piston/sleeveset, dont pinch it(I would'nt JMO)...........check con-rod tolerances and replace if need be, replace bearings with TKO ceramics since they are shot anyways.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I've got a brand new Go 3-port for sale for $99, a skilled driver can win with that engine all day long at the club racing level.
Yea, I saw your FS thread, thanks but that's not enough engine for me. If I have to end up getting a new engine I'm definately going to just go ahead and get one from MM. I'll just have to try to pick up a few side jobs to make a little extra $$
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
you need a new piston/sleeveset, dont pinch it(I would'nt JMO)...........check con-rod tolerances and replace if need be, replace bearings with TKO ceramics since they are shot anyways.
Trevor, if he needs to buy all that, he might as well buy the Go engine rearviewmirror is offering.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Why another modded engine so soon? Why not get a more budget based engine to start with? And if you do choose modded, why not get the real deal and get a Hotmods from Jim H. @ Fusion or a "Houston Tuned" from Monty>>>see my sig, you WILL NOT find a better guy than Monty Houston to walk you through troubleshooting issues / anything nitro engine tech related, dude is a walking dictionary of Novarossi's entire product line and the sport in general, and his prices are KILLER.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by GregH
Trevor, if he needs to buy all that, he might as well buy the Go engine rearviewmirror is offering.
true dat' bro, but I figured he would want to keep his current mill, as I remember another thread of him raving about how good it was.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

frosty, quick story for you on engines and NOT needing the fastest baddest engine out there.

I bought a Mayhem years ago when they first came out from Horizon. It was a very cheap car that came with an engine. From the start, I sold the engine for $150 on e-bay. While looking around, I saw a Omega sport engine listed and decided to buy it. I won the bid of $80 on the engine. When I got it, I opened it up and cleaned it good, stuck a larger cooling head on it and got it bolted in the car. I went to a big event with about 160 entries. I qualified 2nd over all and finished 3rd over all. I had about $350 invested in the entire car RTR. The engine lasted the rest of the season.

Point being, a $99 engine new will work as well if you know how to drive and set everything up. Not saying you don't but you could easily buy the Go engine and not have a ton of money invested and STILL do good with it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yea, I saw your FS thread, thanks but that's not enough engine for me. If I have to end up getting a new engine I'm definately going to just go ahead and get one from MM. I'll just have to try to pick up a few side jobs to make a little extra $$
No worries.. I just threw that out there. I started using them when I saw our local Xray sponsored driver runs them on club weekends, he puts in his high end mills only at the large points events. Not a bad way to save money, and watching him drive with a "low end" mill is impressive. A lot of people spend heaps on mills and never use a fraction of the power they offer. It's like a noob motorcycle rider on GSXR 1000. I've seen guys go through gallon after gallon on a $400 engine and never even get a proper tune on it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm just waiting on 22Racer to get back to me with his address and I'm sending the engine out to him today. I'd rather a professional go through it and determine what needs to be done. Once that's determined then I'll have to make the decision of fixing it or replacing it. If I decide to replace it then I'll just wait for whenever amain or someone has the Go parts in stock and just do a total rebuild ($80 + the cost of some TKO's). I'll be working again in no time, several jobs in my line of work out there, it's just going to take some time. I'm just frustrated as hell right now is all.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

true dat' bro, but I figured he would want to keep his current mill, as I remember another thread of him raving about how good it was.
I LOVE this engine, it makes SO much power everywhere. The RB doesn't have shit on this GO, it just walks all over top to bottom. Don't think I could go back to anything else after that. You guys know how it is. And if it comes down to it I can easily swallow coming up with $210 for a new modded engine from Massive, here I'm looking at more than that for any decent stocker. And if I can get more motor for less money, why the hell wouldn't I?

I'm competitive and will definatle be attending some large event this spring and summer, I want to make sure I have what it takes to place well

But really if things get bad I'll just wrench/pit/teach my daughter, I could never pull the engine from her car, she's really looking forward to racing, and she can drive the thing really well.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I LOVE this engine, it makes SO much power everywhere. The RB doesn't have shit on this GO, it just walks all over top to bottom. Don't think I could go back to anything else after that. You guys know how it is. And if it comes down to it I can easily swallow coming up with $210 for a new modded engine from Massive, here I'm looking at more than that for any decent stocker. And if I can get more motor for less money, why the hell wouldn't I?

I'm competitive and will definatle be attending some large event this spring and summer, I want to make sure I have what it takes to place well

But really if things get bad I'll just wrench/pit/teach my daughter, I could never pull the engine from her car, she's really looking forward to racing, and she can drive the thing really well.
cool man, whatever rocks your boat.....but man, if you tweak on a MM GO, you would literally freak out on Jim Hottinger hotmods or Houston Tuned Novarossi.....................good luck this season with your racing
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Clips of my 9 yr old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxSB-WyENw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZbR...eature=related

And the last run of my PTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gio3_Z12NR8
Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

cool man, whatever rocks your boat.....but man, if you tweak on a MM GO, you would literally freak out on Jim Hottinger hotmods or Houston Tuned Novarossi.....................good luck this season with your racing
Trust me, I'd love to try one, and if things were a little different I probably would. I just can't put down $400+ on a new engine and pipe right now. That may change next week, but it might not change until next month. This county's in such a mess right now you never know. Ahh well what can you do??
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

oh wow.....those are extreme conditions man, that dirt is like a fine powder......YOU MUST be dialed in the airfilter area when running in conditions like that.......from here on out, MAKE SURE the filter is oiled well, OUTER AND INNER, and you should replace probably after each day of running in places like that.......dont even bother attempting to clean them, just toss them in garbage and replace with fresh assembly......cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.