GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

lol Jaun I am aware what works for you might not work for me I just trying to get an idea of what others use for there set ups. Its like pulling teeth to get any one to just post there set up in here.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
This is what I helped Bvoltz come up with as far as a list of engines for the "spec" class when we were running these cars in the Bass Pro Series in Jackson, MS:

1. OS .21VG-X, part # OSMG 2059
2. Sportwerks .26 V2 pull start, part # SWK 8085
3. Dynamite Mach .26 pull start, part # DYN 0887
4. Dynamite Mach 427 pull start, part # DYN 0895
5. OFNA Force .28 pull start, part #52217
6. Axial .28 spec 1s pull start, part #AX001 (green), part #AX002 (black)

All of the engines were comparable as far as HP was concerned and all were at a low cost. We did not require a racer to change to any of these over the stock engine in the car, but, if they were having difficulties with their stock engine, these were the replacements that could be substituted. So, a racer could run the RTR engine that came in the car or change to one of these. This was also done as not to leave the LHS out since most of these are carried or easily acquired by the LHSs where we raced. The Texas series (SWCS), we decided to also have an open class where anything goes as far as engine choices because some guys like to spend tons of monies on that stuff. But as far as "spec", the box engines or one from the above list only, no exceptions!!

Oh, thanks for the link. Very useful info as far as true engine HP.
I am trying to confirm the HP info. I have asked Uriah Murnan of Murnan Modified to get involved.

Based on this list comparing the GXR28 you have the following differences on your approved spec engines;

Sportswork .26 = +.14 hp but -3 in-oz torque
Dynomite 427 is not listed but the Trinity version is and it is = -.14 hp and -8 in-oz torque
OFNA force 26 = -.14 hp and -.8 in-oz torque
Axial .28 = +.27 hp and +.19 0n-in torque

Have you seen all these engines run and do their performance on the track line-up with the info published in the article?

Lee

Who knows what pipes were used.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Robert R
lol Jaun I am aware what works for you might not work for me I just trying to get an idea of what others use for there set ups. Its like pulling teeth to get any one to just post there set up in here.
Robert,

Are you running a GT1 or GT2? I have had them both and the set-up is very different from the GT1 to the GT2 that worked for me. I will gladly share my set-ups.

Let me know which version you have.

Lee
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am running GT1 with GRP 28
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

I am running GT1 with GRP 28
I ran a GT1 all last year and now I am running a GT2. The difference for me is that the GT2 is easier to drive. I thought that the longer wheelbase of the GT2 would make the car difficult to turn but it actually turns better than the GT1.

Our Spec class requires that the cars remain stock except for; 1) radio, 2) brake upgrade, 3) sway bars, and 4) front stiffener. I put the Kyo IFW324 brake pads and sway bars on my car. The set-up that worked best for me on the GT1 car was;

front
camber = +1/2
tow = +1 per side
shock angle = top in lowest hole and bottom in the furthest out hole
sway bar = stiffest
tires = Ipanema 45
ride height = about 1mm lower than the rear
Diff lube = I tried everything from 100k to 3k. I ended up with 7k in the front.
Shock oil = Serpent 50 (really thick - their thickest oil)
I experimented with ackerman angle but could not tell much difference.
I used the front Droop Screws to control the ride height and cranked the front spring keepers down some to make the front springs stiffer.

rear
Camber = -2.5
toe = stock
shock angle = top in the highest hole and bottom furthest out
sway bar = softest
tires = Ipanema 45
Ride height = dog bones angled slightly up from the diff
Diff lube = I tried everything from 30K to 3k and ended up with 3k
Shock oil = either Serpent 45 or 50.
I used the rear droop setting to control the ride height. Whenever I loosened the rear droop the car would get loose.

Gear = I put the GT2 gears on the car which made it faster.

My GT1 car was ballistic! This is what worked for me. I sold the car and the new owner races with us and it is fast for him too.

Lee
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
wwoodruff

Juan, looks like I will be stuck running what I have. Its a Kanai 3 chassis with the GT shock towers etc to allow mounting a GT body on it. It will probably not have a 2 speed in it. Do you think the .26 you are running has enough grunt to pull tall gears and get it off the corners.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info, I am running 100 in front and 5 in rear, I have not tried anything else yet, but here in Vegas and In cali , when we run rubber I use the PMT tires.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info, I am running 100 in front and 5 in rear, I have not tried anything else yet, but here in Vegas and In cali , when we run rubber I use the PMT tires.
We too run rubber tires. I have tried Kyosho V slicks, Twisters, Ofna slicks and Ipanema tires so far. I want to try the PMT tires but I have not had a chance yet. Of the ones I have tired I like the Ipanema tires the best.

If you go to a lighter oil in front you should get more steering especially off throttle. The only draw back is the possibility of diffing under braking. I only experienced this when I applied too much brake when I was already well into the turn. Overall the lighter diff oils gave my car more traction at the front and rear which resulted in a car that was easier to drive and one that turned faster lap times.

Lee
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
Juan, looks like I will be stuck running what I have. Its a Kanai 3 chassis with the GT shock towers etc to allow mounting a GT body on it. It will probably not have a 2 speed in it. Do you think the .26 you are running has enough grunt to pull tall gears and get it off the corners.
Will,

Your car would classify you for running in the GTRTR open class only. So, you could run any onroad or offroad .21 or any engine up to size .28 you want. The Sportwerks would probably be okay but with your car classified as an open car, you can used any of the higher powered, non-pullstart motor for the power and torque you need, especially with tall gears.

Juan
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM
wwoodruff

Yea, thats the problem. If I could spend $300.00 plus for an engine I would just get a new car and run the spec class. Looks like the Axial is the ringer of the bunch for the money. I may try it. I have too much RC junk sitting around and none of it runs except my T-Maxx, Its going on the self to sell shortly. Time to clean house.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
Yea, thats the problem. If I could spend $300.00 plus for an engine I would just get a new car and run the spec class. Looks like the Axial is the ringer of the bunch for the money. I may try it. I have too much RC junk sitting around and none of it runs except my T-Maxx, Its going on the self to sell shortly. Time to clean house.
Yea, I was thinking about getting the Axial engine as well to try out in my IGT2. All of the Axial engines are very affordable and look to produce good power and torque. It would be nice to see you at the next race if you could make it. I have slowly been cleaning house myself.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
wwoodruff

I am working on it.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Yea, I was thinking about getting the Axial engine as well to try out in my IGT2. All of the Axial engines are very affordable and look to produce good power and torque. It would be nice to see you at the next race if you could make it. I have slowly been cleaning house myself.

For me, the gray headed axial ran much better on 20% than it did on 30%. Your actual mileage may vary....
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
For me, the gray headed axial ran much better on 20% than it did on 30%. Your actual mileage may vary....
Thanks for the tip. Your last one worked like a charm. After blowing up the very first engine, I have been using 20% no matter what engine I run. I did have one gear issue though. I had my second gear on the second qualifier this past Saturday snap almost in half. I thought the gear had stripped. I will try to post a pic of it to show what happened. The gear only had about 10 minutes of run time on it before it snapped. The brake upgrade that I did with the Kyosho Acer pads and upgraded disk was the bomb. No more brake fade or failure thus far.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have been have steering issue going into the turns I will try the lighter oil. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.