Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Novarossi RX21P5XS a good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

are you running the engine in a buggy or a truck ? the reason i didnt suggest the pipe being the problem is i haven't ever really had that sort of problem running any pipe header combo (i have ran alot of different pipe/header combos). pipe/header doesn't really effect the throttle down effect but more over the way it builds its power . anyway , hope you figure it out topcat
monty
if you have a tight fitting body , try the rb header , its made for that and still gives you the length .
Old 04-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Topcat , I too had this same trouble ,I found it was the damn throttle linkage causing the slide to "vibrate back to final closed" This issue drove me nuts! It did the EXACT thing you are discribing. Also had the slide boot "balloon" as it was closing and this too caused the same issue. fixed it with a stonger throttle return spring and a little bit of cleaning and polishing.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think any nova,rex,top motors are good
Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I think the P5 is one of the best all around motors you can buy. I have a p5 that probably has about 7-8 gallons on it and never had a problem with it you can let it sit and idle all day and it wont die always runs about 215-220 temps and has just as much power now(if not more) as what it had new.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

ok well went racing on sunday.

first race with it ran a bit lean came it bit hot

then richened it up and lost a grub screw in drive shaft so had pull in outa of that 1

next race ran really well a lot of low end and every quick down the staright loved it but bit mor epower full than i was used to as for fuel times after a 6-7 min heat i had 1/3 of a tank left very efficent indeed during the 10 mintute heats didnt want to chance it so pitted anyway.
but over all was very good performence.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So how is everyone liking the P5?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Tech Adept

Well was racing on sunday there i decided during the practices to run it until it ran dry so first time i got 9.48 seconds 2nd time i got 9.39 seconds whilst racing. i feel i could have gotten longer runtimes if the track conditions had not of been very skiddy and dusty as i couldnt grip and had loads of wheel spin due to wrong tyre choice.

was using the stock insert 8mm i think with jp-3 pipe and rb.no6 plug.

overall performence and reliablilty was excellent.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? P5 for buggy racing.....

Hey Monty,
What pipes are you finding best for run time on these P5s? I have 2 brand new ones for the season and have a bunch of pipes to try. Right now the JP-3 seems to be my leader for power and fuel.
Have you tried a JP-4? RB2045 with different headers? Any other suggestions?

Also, what would cleaning it up for a fuel mod do for it? Before you ask, I do have one of the best engine mod guys around. This guy used to travel with the likes of Paris and BK to the onroad worlds events. He was responsible for tuning and engine setup. I asked him but he was wondering if it would make too much power for what we do in offroad. Just really looking for runtime here. Horsepower is good. But runtime you can take to the bank.
TEX
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For run time, a ceramic bearing should help. Reducing drag always helps. Lightened crank also, but will change the feel also. The filled S421B crank fits in the P5 and has the same timing.