GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Every once in a while there's has been discussion about the belt cars (rally game) that are popular in southern europe, france, spain, italy..

Well after waiting the whole long winter I finally got to run mine for 1st time on the track today. Man, I loved it!!

But it wasn't a dance on roses, it was very difficult at first, just like someone said seeing this happen in races in south america. Any shaft GT would have beaten me up clearly and easily. I was all over the track, spinning etc.

However, after setting the car up like 3-4 hours it really started working out and finally I left the track with a big smile on my face. It really was that good and plenty of potential for more. I must have done a dozen of adjustments during the evening.

I used the Kyosho Ferrari body, not a lola type if someone wonders.

Car really looked like a real car, it's not a brick on wheels. Much more lively than a 1/10 sedan (and not that fast even it's plenty fast), too.

And finally I have to mention that my custom made Evolva gear box worked very well too with 15/19 gearing and Orion US Spec offroad motor. Sweet!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
RT3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys, I am working on purchasing a few items for my Associated RC8 GT conversion. I need to purchase some heavier diff fluids and shock oils. I will be using the center diff to make the conversion simpler. Could you guys please give me some tips on a good starting setup so I know what diff and shock oils I need to purchase right away?

I will be using shorter towers and Revo shocks if that makes any difference. Also, what tires should I get for running around the street and possibly taking to the track later? Thanks for all your guys help. I'm extremely excited to get this project going!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 PM
JSA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

If I convert a buggy to a GT and still running 3 differential can it be match with the production GT car with 2 tranny in the middle. Or shall I convert the centre diff to 2 speed tranny as well........

Your advice are very well appreciated......................show me your way......
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Whats happening!

I am back from Downing Atlanta and Road Atlanta racing full size cars. Best two weeks I have had in a long time. Not sure what I have missed on here.

Hope to have the new IGT Hobbies website up and running this weekend, and just got done ordering the trophies for the "IGT Hobbies 1/8 Scale GT Class" for The Texas Biggie 2011. I encourage all 1/8 GT racers to try to make this race!

Here is the flier.....

http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/attach...6&d=1304020429

For all the new racers and bashers on here, we are the leaders in specializing in all things GT8 racing, be it replacement parts, option parts, bodies, or information. I have 25+ years in racing RC cars alone, and also race Vintage IMSA GT 1:1 Mazda rotary cars.

The link to our shop is http://www.igthobbies.com

Here is a link to check out our new website. http://igthobbies.3dcartstores.com/

Race On!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JSA
Hey Guys,

If I convert a buggy to a GT and still running 3 differential can it be match with the production GT car with 2 tranny in the middle. Or shall I convert the centre diff to 2 speed tranny as well........

Your advice are very well appreciated......................show me your way......
It kind of depends, what size track you're running on?

In Europe they run a similar class called Rally Game, they all use single speed set-ups. Most also use specific "RG" engines that are really like 1/8 scale on-road units that offer a little more bottom end punch.

So, depending on the size of the track, engine and gearing used, it may be very possible for you to run well with a single speed.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Yes, and still they put chicanes on tracks to slow the speeds down.

I've seen also center diff nitro GT's on our track, they're relatively fast, but it kills me hearing the engine revving in the main straight. DNF is relatively propable if the main straight is long in a 60 minute race.

2-speed is so much better for many reasons: It keeps the engine temps down, saves the engine, improves performance, sounds cool when it shifts and there are really no durability issues if you can use a shoe -type tranny (like OFNA or Kyosho IGW008).
Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

+1
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WildBill, I like the new site. good luck with it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Has anyone tried running a Losi L8ight in this class?? Where there any major things that needed to be cahnged??
Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I know someone who runs the Losi oval car. He swears by the shock towers, and you would need the ofna 2 speed.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

can someone tell me the part # for the inferno gt2 rear universal??? not the dogbone ....thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrz93
can someone tell me the part # for the inferno gt2 rear universal??? not the dogbone ....thanks
If you are running the stock 2-speed, with the old shaft (GTW20-1), than you can use the IFW160. http://www.igthobbies.com/product_p/kyoifw160.htm Kyosho changed the shaft (IG108) last year on the old trannys, and it will not work with those.

If you are running the new 2-speed, they changed the outdrive on the new shaft (IGW008-01), and the IFW160 is about 2mm too long and it binds. We are working on a solution.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
If you are running the stock 2-speed, than you can use the IFW160.

If you are running the new 2-speed, they changed the outdrive on the new shaft, and the IFW160 is about 2mm too long and it binds. We are working on a solution.
thanks yeah i got the new evolva 2-speed...i have an old losi LST cvd that fits but it's huge!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I know someone who runs the Losi oval car. He swears by the shock towers, and you would need the ofna 2 speed.
If someone has jammed a 2 speed into the losi oval chassis, I would love to see it.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Was doing some testing today, which included tires. I wont name any of the other names but the Impanema WIDE rears are a winner! Was the only tire that would lock down the rear today! These are great tires Jeff, Where the hell are they?? Scotty said its going to be a while Mike L let me try a set of his WOW

PS they look bad ass also!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.