Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You do not want to use the little orings that go behind the little diff gears. They make the diff inconsistent.

As to the 10/10/3 diff oil setup that depends on where you are racing. I suggest 5/7/5 for US tracks.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

hi guys any advice for setups diffs ect hopups

just picked up a base line mugen truggy bnib cheap

and in need of some help only been in nitro for around a year now so any help would be great

ps it will be beat on uk track

pics below

Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome info on gearing guys, thank you very much.

Tonyscrews - Its great when you can get an accurate, descriptive, quantitative explanation of what a change does.

Thanks for the verification on you shock measurement - I thought i had it figured correctly, just wanted to be sure.

I have a second center diff with the 48t spur, I think I'm going to put it in and leave the c0272 and c0273 out. I also ordered a 14t clutch bell to try 13/48 and 14/48.

thanks again for all the info guys.

My bet is the gear style and ratio will be one of the most dramatic changes on the mbx6 but i have to say, i think the mbx5 and/or 5r are the most reliable, well-built and easy to drive fast buggies you can buy!

someone asked why i couldnt keep an 8b together - i think - In my opinion the losi buggy's part's quality is not nearly as good as the mugen. If you run the 8 buggy for about 30 minutes the front end immediately develops so much slop it makes you sick. also all of the outdrives and dog-bone ends wear very quickly, the chassis flex burns up throttle servos, even with the orings, kingheadz stiffener, appropriate adjustment etc. etc. My brother has bought losi sliders and losi mini trucks for his kids and those things are even the biggest pieces of junk i've laid eyes on - radio shack toys have better quality. the mini lst wheels break constantly, for no reason, the slider motor shuts off all the time, i know I'm off the subject here, and losi's growing stable of mini's and other toys are not the same echelon as the 8B, but I used to be a huge losi fan, in fact at one time I had every competition car in their lineup. these days losi is more interested in 1/36th scale, 1/12th scale gas muggies, and stupid monster trucks with beetle bodies, its all crap and that's what horizon has done to that brand - sad for the losi brand-loyal folks out there. Also horizon has trimmed inventory so dramatically that losi parts are sometimes hard to find. I also can't stand that they and associated have the nerve to market as "AMERICAN COMPANIES" their stuff is all made by slave labor in taiwan and I'm not sure whereelse. I know Mugen is a Japanese company and Mugenracing usa is the United states entity of Mugen Seiki, but at least they don't pull slimy marketing tactics - its pretty much what you see is what you get, and their products rock! whoever is in charge of marketing at horizon has lost there minds, why not market the toyish garbage under the sportwerks brand and let the losi brand remain solely competition level vehilcles? All reasons I'm now a staunch Mugen supporter - absolutely nothing in their line up is crap, their phone support is awesome, their designs are sound and solid, nothing is gimmicky - an effort to turn a quick buck on a second rate product, and they are a small company, its fun to run and root for the underdogs to topple the giants on the national and international stage - rocky balboa style! Lets hear it for Scott Hughes, Renaud Savoya and the rest of the Mugen team to take down the likes of drake, truhe, cavaleri, mayfield, tebo, ashton and all comers at the 2008 world championships!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Tonyscrews - Its great when you can get an accurate, descriptive, quantitative explanation of what a change does.

Thanks for the verification on you shock measurement - I thought i had it figured correctly, just wanted to be sure.

I have a second center diff with the 48t spur, I think I'm going to put it in and leave the c0272 and c0273 out. I also ordered a 14t clutch bell to try 13/48 and 14/48.

My bet is the gear style and ratio will be one of the most dramatic changes on the mbx6 but i have to say, i think the mbx5 and/or 5r are the most reliable, well-built and easy to drive fast buggies you can buy!

someone asked why i couldnt keep an 8b together - i think - In my opinion the losi buggy's part's quality is not nearly as good as the mugen. If you run the 8 buggy for about 30 minutes the front end immediately develops so much slop it makes you sick. also all of the outdrives and dog-bone ends wear very quickly, the chassis flex burns up throttle servos, even with the orings, kingheadz stiffener, appropriate adjustment etc. etc. My brother has bought losi sliders and losi mini trucks for his kids and those things are even the biggest pieces of junk i've laid eyes on - radio shack toys have better quality. the mini lst wheels break constantly, for no reason, the slider motor shuts off all the time, i know I'm off the subject here, and losi's growing stable of mini's and other toys are not the same echelon as the 8B, but I used to be a huge losi fan, in fact at one time I had every competition car in their lineup. these days losi is more interested in 1/36th scale, 1/12th scale gas muggies, and stupid monster trucks with beetle bodies, its all crap and that's what horizon has done to that brand - sad for the losi brand-loyal folks out there. Also horizon has trimmed inventory so dramatically that losi parts are sometimes hard to find. I also can't stand that they and associated have the nerve to market as "AMERICAN COMPANIES" their stuff is all made by slave labor in taiwan and I'm not sure whereelse. I know Mugen is a Japanese company and Mugenracing usa is the United states entity of Mugen Seiki, but at least they don't pull slimy marketing tactics - its pretty much what you see is what you get, and their products rock! whoever is in charge of marketing at horizon has lost there minds, why not market the toyish garbage under the sportwerks brand and let the losi brand remain solely competition level vehilcles? All reasons I'm now a staunch Mugen supporter - absolutely nothing in their line up is crap, their phone support is awesome, their designs are sound and solid, nothing is gimmicky - an effort to turn a quick buck on a second rate product, and they are a small company, its fun to run and root for the underdogs to topple the giants on the national and international stage - rocky balboa style! Lets hear it for Scott Hughes, Renaud Savoya and the rest of the Mugen team to take down the likes of drake, truhe, cavaleri, mayfield, tebo, ashton and all comers at the 2008 world championships!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by thewholeyearinn

I agree, the two big american companies AE and Losi are not the companies they used to be, there 1/10 scale cars a few years back oozed quality and now the quality has dropped, the AE to me looks cheap.

I am not saying the 8 or the RC8 are not any good, but in my opinion a few years back they would have been much better quality wise.

My 2c.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

how does a 44t spur and a 15 bell go for accelartion
Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

pitdog, going down on the spur from 46 to 44 and up on the clutch bell from 13 to 15 are both going to reduce torque/acceleration and increase top end speed.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

i read in the xray manual and in the hudy setup board book that running less kickup will give more overall steering, I've never tried that adjustment, has anyone tried anything other than the 0 degree kickup block behind the front gearbox? If so, can you explain your opinion regarding what changed?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

ok thanks for that i seen the rc8 have that ratio and thought i could do the same on the mugen
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No comment on the Losi Subject....ill only get myself into trouble.....think what ud like thewholeyearinn.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

but you did comment anyway i think most will agree the mugen does excel compared to the 8B in quality of parts materials, i have run the mugen for close on 4 years and have broken 3 lower front arms all within a short time of each other which i believe was a fault from the manufacturer supplier (not mugen) non since, only transmission prob ever was after a pin let go on a cvd and as it was the last race of the season i carried on and torpedoed the centre diff, to the point all the internal gears were spewed over the chassis it was that severe, i cleaned all the melted plastic from around the gears checked them over and kept them as spares they were still that good try that with ANY other car, have to say i like the mugen as i can 99.9% guarantee it WILL get me to the end of the race

Pitdog the RC8 runs the thunder tiger truggy diffs and it runs a lower ratio compared to the Mugen this is why the spur/cb is so different.

thewholeyearinn not tried them out just stick with the one normally, prob cause i dont have time to change at club meets as they are quite small in numbers.

Cant wait to see some pics of the MBX6, which will really make me want them to release it sooner.

please anyone whats mugen doing
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know some of the Mugen team drivers are running the truggy diffs (10/46) in their buggies with a 16T clutch bell and 44T spur gear. It is a VERY expensive change.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

New skin for Ronda Skelton. www.upgrade-rc.com

Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Dayum, nice work Ryan Now you are gonna get thousands of request to do custom jobs, LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

guys its personal preference i've tried it and decided it wasn't worth the effort FOR ME. the harder the car accerlates the the more the setup changes to keep the rear under the car. the 48t spur with the stock gearing for MOST club racers works well. i can accerlerate just as hard out of a corner as the rc8 or the losi. REMEBER GUYS:"FOR EVERY ACTION THERE IS AN OPPOSITE AND EQAUL RE-ACTION". in order to gain something here you have to give up something somewhere else.

the 10/10/3 diff setup is good if the surface has alot of bite really helps the car rotate.(as if it needs help) similar diff setup to what savoya won the worlds warmup with.
5/7/2 NO ORINGS is the most widely used here on the east coast.

as far as the "mbx6" the car will be totally redesigned with some of the same 'trademark' features found on the 5r.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.