Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS! >

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Someone have 30,000 dollars to throw and initiate a business and no promising on returns.......I d like to see if someone really could but I don't think anyone is able to put up front that much, tell me wrong. This astro-turf is for off road racers who doesnt want to drive down to Salem or Albany. I think to make this work is someone administer the registration online for racers to sign up for quantity, to make the plan worth set up the track for the weekend. Trailer could fill some common parts broken on the track. Just a thought to begin the seasonal racing until someone becomes an entrepreneur for RC industry.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_best
My two cents...
I think a track, especially indoor, can only survive with a shop attached to it. I'm just coming back from Southern California from TQ Racing.... Great place, great store and they seem to do really well.

I get the whole "cabin fever" thing in Oregon, but if you want race outside outdoor (on-road) there is Rose City Scale Racing ... I wanna say I doesn't get better than this one.

A indoor on-road track is missing in the Portland area after Premier R/C closed down.

Again, anything indoor (regardless if on or off-road) needs a shop with it to cover for costs.
Otherwise I don't see it working -- but on the other hand, I'm not an expert in running a track -- just mentioning what I observe.

Still having my hopes for an indoor on-road carpet track in Portland
A popular alternative throughout the country is a temporary track, set up in a gym. Churches, schools, community centers... Which is exactly what's happening this winter. RCSR will be running a carpet track up slightly north of Timezone.
I wish people would quit complaining about what we don't have, and start utilizing what we DO have. Premier was a pretty damn nice track - exactly what on road racers have been praying for over the years, and much of the time, you'd be lucky to see more than 25 racers on a club night. There wasn't much hope of keeping that place open, though the owners did their absolute best. There is a direct correlation between healthy turnouts, and quality, long term race facilities. It also improves the odds for a new track popping up should an existing facility shuts down.
Yeah, we don't have a carpet indoor track at the moment, but we do have one of the nicest on road tracks in the US less than an hour north of Portland, which is affiliated with the club that's running the carpet track this winter. I know asphalt is scary, but the "I'm a carpet guy!" racers are really missing out. For like, half of the year.
T-Hawk likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
A popular alternative throughout the country is a temporary track, set up in a gym. Churches, schools, community centers... Which is exactly what's happening this winter. RCSR will be running a carpet track up slightly north of Timezone.
I wish people would quit complaining about what we don't have, and start utilizing what we DO have. Premier was a pretty damn nice track - exactly what on road racers have been praying for over the years, and much of the time, you'd be lucky to see more than 25 racers on a club night. There wasn't much hope of keeping that place open, though the owners did their absolute best. There is a direct correlation between healthy turnouts, and quality, long term race facilities. It also improves the odds for a new track popping up should an existing facility shuts down.
Yeah, we don't have a carpet indoor track at the moment, but we do have one of the nicest on road tracks in the US less than an hour north of Portland, which is affiliated with the club that's running the carpet track this winter. I know asphalt is scary, but the "I'm a carpet guy!" racers are really missing out. For like, half of the year.
If everything goes as planned, we should be able to hold our first race no later than Thanksgiving time.... We will run an every other Saturday program.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

To clarify, is RCSR will be both off road and on road track for carpet race? I was visioning about building only offroad at different locations.
T-Hawk likes this.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nwsc5m
To clarify, is RCSR will be both off road and on road track for carpet race? I was visioning about building only offroad at different locations.
Onroad only for now. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Tech Rookie

You didn't hijack thread, just for the readers to follow the points clearly that this intentionally was for off road. It appears that not any off-roaders is interested coop with any establishment for a track at this time. It's sounds like more for an individual to take risk by buying the products and make it happen to see what kind of game we re up to.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I have personally looked into setting up a track myself. I even found a space, the money just isn't there for me. If you are going to do it, it has to be done top notch. No taking short cuts. The Dunlaps had it right, and Tom did it right also. It just burns people out.
It's funny to me that in the NW there are two tracks that have been around for over 20 years plus. All you have to do is take a drive to Salem and talk to Ron and to Tacoma and talk to Scott. Both know what they are doing, and might be able to get some insight into what needs to be done.
The track takes on the owners personality. Tom's was friendly and fun, just like Tom. Dunlaps was family friendly and competitive. I have always thought the west side is where a track should be, but finding space is the problem on that side of town.
Good luck to whoever is willing to take a chance.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

I think more of ideal and cheapest way to go is race and practice on weekend event. I have found carpet that is same at NW Hobbies and time lap computer for sale. The carpet sells for .50 cent per sqft and approximately 2,500 to 3,000 dollars for 40 x 100 sqft race track. Also the time lap computer usually sell around 5,000 dollars, found a used one for 2,500 dollars. Additionally pipes and woods for jump adds up cost. In ball park around 6,000 dollars to set up the track. The coordinator for Bratton Canyon park is willing to work with this plan. I don't have that kind of money either but sources are available to grab! Somebody got to jump in. Next We need to be searching for indoor community court we could use for weekend. I even thought get personal loan but I don't have any idea if anyone would commit to race. Too concern to lose money on this. Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nwsc5m
I think more of ideal and cheapest way to go is race and practice on weekend event. I have found carpet that is same at NW Hobbies and time lap computer for sale. The carpet sells for .50 cent per sqft and approximately 2,500 to 3,000 dollars for 40 x 100 sqft race track. Also the time lap computer usually sell around 5,000 dollars, found a used one for 2,500 dollars. Additionally pipes and woods for jump adds up cost. In ball park around 6,000 dollars to set up the track. The coordinator for Bratton Canyon park is willing to work with this plan. I don't have that kind of money either but sources are available to grab! Somebody got to jump in. Next We need to be searching for indoor community court we could use for weekend. I even thought get personal loan but I don't have any idea if anyone would commit to race. Too concern to lose money on this. Any thoughts?
Rose City's plans for a temporary carpet track (exactly the model you're referencing) has already been mentioned a few times in this thread. They're currently running on asphalt at Timezone, will be changing over to carpet this fall. If off road is your thing, Dave's will continue to run through October, weather permitting. RC Plus, NW Hobbies, Cottage Grove for turf and clay indoor off road. Again, support what we have. The more racers we pull in to existing tracks, the more likely they'll stick around.
KR145 likes this.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hey guys, please come check out my fb page for the new track. If the fundraising goes as planned, we will be racing very soon! https://www.facebook.com/pdxrcunderground/
Allen Drebi likes this.