Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
A 120T could fit and smaller would fit of course. However, the Mi3 takes special spur gears and the available range is 114-118T.
'Special' spur gears So my PRS ones are no good
Old 05-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

A few things that have made the Schuie diff bullet-proof and extremely reliable for me...

1. Sand/Polish the diff rings...
Remove small scratches, etc.
2. Tighten it very slowly...
take time to rotate it several times between small, tightening turns
3. Break in the diff...
Leave it loose initiallly (like maybe an 1/8th to 1/4 turn from std setting) and run the car on a stand at 2 volts. At first, only apply enough pressure to the tire to slow it, and then to the other side. After a few minutes, pull the car off the stand, and loosen the set screw and tighten the main screw 1/16th--repeat the break-in procedure.
The diff should be just a little looser than your normal setting by the time you're done on the bench. Running it on the track will finish the break in. After one run, tighten the diff another 1/16 turn.

Too much tension on diff with no break in will cause it to go gritty very quick.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As I mentioned before, there seems to be a fitting issue with the square Lipo packs like the Orion 4800. Has anyone tried the Orion 3200 pack in their car yet? Does it fit better than the other Lipo packs?

Seriously, these are the ONLY packs that I run. If neither of these fit properly, then I'm screwed...

Since the first question about this was missed or whatever...I'll ask again. Whats going to be the solution to this problem for those of us who use the Orion 4800?

Thanks...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:05 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

No I don't have my MI3 yet but my MI2 EC was dialed tonight and in 11 months might of been the best it has ever worked. It did everything I could of wanted. Steering was excellent and so was the rear traction. It was very easy to drive.

WHen the MI3 shows up it will be cool to see if I can get it like my EC is right now because it was that good for me tonight.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sorry but your PRS gears won't work on the car. But the RW/Schumacher gear that comes with the car and the optional ones are really nice.

Dark-Sorry, but I don't run any Lipo's so I can't say if either one will fit. But I know the car was designed with those packs in mind so maybe someone was just missing something. Wish I had a better answer for you.

I did get my first track time with the car today. The track we were running on is an outdoor, permanent asphalt track that hasn't been used for 6 years. Today was the first time cars have been on it. So traction was a little weird. It was actually quite a bit higher than I expected. But still a little weird. The track was really small with a VERY tight layout. Everyone was pushing bad. So I wasn't too surprised when the car pushed right off the bat. The best thing about today was that every adjustment I made did exactly what it "should" do. My adjustments were all very predictable and I never came back off the track saying "I didn't like that." The first run, like I said, the car pushed pretty bad, just like every other car out there for the most part. It seemed like it was more from the rear end being too planted. I made an adjustment each run and got the car considerably faster by the end of the day. I took out a little rear toe (I love being able to make this adjustment and in less than a minute. ) changed the upper shock locations, but the biggest change I made that gave a ton more steering, was lowering the front diff. What a change that made for the super tight track. I'm pretty sure we're going back to the same track again next weekend for some more track time.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Got to run a friends Mi3 tonight at SoCal raceway for a few packs, steering definately wasn't scarce on his car, yet the rear end stayed planted pretty well. Cant wait to hit the track this week with my car and see what it's capable of.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Sorry but your PRS gears won't work on the car. But the RW/Schumacher gear that comes with the car and the optional ones are really nice.

Dark-Sorry, but I don't run any Lipo's so I can't say if either one will fit. But I know the car was designed with those packs in mind so maybe someone was just missing something. Wish I had a better answer for you.

I did get my first track time with the car today. The track we were running on is an outdoor, permanent asphalt track that hasn't been used for 6 years. Today was the first time cars have been on it. So traction was a little weird. It was actually quite a bit higher than I expected. But still a little weird. The track was really small with a VERY tight layout. Everyone was pushing bad. So I wasn't too surprised when the car pushed right off the bat. The best thing about today was that every adjustment I made did exactly what it "should" do. My adjustments were all very predictable and I never came back off the track saying "I didn't like that." The first run, like I said, the car pushed pretty bad, just like every other car out there for the most part. It seemed like it was more from the rear end being too planted. I made an adjustment each run and got the car considerably faster by the end of the day. I took out a little rear toe (I love being able to make this adjustment and in less than a minute. ) changed the upper shock locations, but the biggest change I made that gave a ton more steering, was lowering the front diff. What a change that made for the super tight track. I'm pretty sure we're going back to the same track again next weekend for some more track time.
Good post! Nice to hear something other than the usual "itīs the best car in the world"-theme...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

What happened...is it gritty or did it get loose?
Very gritty, the problem is that the plates stay in bad shape after this.

I do the same as i use to do with mi2EC, and with them one day of racing and the still nice.

Now i have to go racing, is the first National race for MI3 here in Portugal.

But i know i have to look for the rear diff.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Got to run a friends Mi3 tonight at SoCal raceway for a few packs, steering definately wasn't scarce on his car, yet the rear end stayed planted pretty well. Cant wait to hit the track this week with my car and see what it's capable of.
randy.. you need to hit up BCR. that track has tons of potential. got to see jon's car. nice piece of engineering.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr

How did you setup differ by the end from the 'kit' setup?

Was that starting with Chris Ashtons asphalt test or the build in the manual?
Provided rain keeps away mine will be used in anger for the first time tomorrow, local kids keep chucking dirt etc onto our track so dust and switching under/oversteer is a problem.

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkseid
As I mentioned before, there seems to be a fitting issue with the square Lipo packs like the Orion 4800. Has anyone tried the Orion 3200 pack in their car yet? Does it fit better than the other Lipo packs?

Seriously, these are the ONLY packs that I run. If neither of these fit properly, then I'm screwed...

Since the first question about this was missed or whatever...I'll ask again. Whats going to be the solution to this problem for those of us who use the Orion 4800?

Thanks...
Same here...I only run Orion 4800mah Lipo packs...the info posted about the Mi3 does say that the Mi3 was designed to carry Orion 4800packs. However, some has complained that they actually dont work well on the Mi3, since the bulkhead covers the area where the negative plug on the battery hooks up. This could be due to the close parallel proximity of the Mi3 bulkheads, which are the closest in the world. The Yokomo BD has a similar issue, and the only way around it is to dremmel off the top deck if you want to keep it inside. Or just move it outside where it sits almost overhanging the chassis...which throws off balance...I hope this is not the case with the Mi3. Someone please get some Orion Lipo and test please....
Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
How did you setup differ by the end from the 'kit' setup?

Was that starting with Chris Ashtons asphalt test or the build in the manual?
Provided rain keeps away mine will be used in anger for the first time tomorrow, local kids keep chucking dirt etc onto our track so dust and switching under/oversteer is a problem.

Thanks
Skiddins
The setup I started with was the one PW sent us to start with for the Reedy Race. It was his Florida State Series setup. I'm not sure if that setup is posted anywhere yet though. I think that setup is still a very good starting point for Reedy. But this track layout was pretty far off from the Tamiya track. I'm mainly just testing setup changes and seeing what effect they have and how much of an effect they have so I know what to do in certain situations.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
Good post! Nice to hear something other than the usual "itīs the best car in the world"-theme...
I'm a sales rep by trade. Honesty is always best. Even when trying to sell something. And bad mouthing your competitors is the worst thing you can do.

I really do think this car has a ton of potential and it's going to do very well against all the competition out there.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Same here...I only run Orion 4800mah Lipo packs...the info posted about the Mi3 does say that the Mi3 was designed to carry Orion 4800packs. However, some has complained that they actually dont work well on the Mi3, since the bulkhead covers the area where the negative plug on the battery hooks up. This could be due to the close parallel proximity of the Mi3 bulkheads, which are the closest in the world. The Yokomo BD has a similar issue, and the only way around it is to dremmel off the top deck if you want to keep it inside. Or just move it outside where it sits almost overhanging the chassis...which throws off balance...I hope this is not the case with the Mi3. Someone please get some Orion Lipo and test please....
The problems I've heard reported are that the pack, when positioned properly, is actually making contact with the steering ackerman arm. And that those having the problem are having to push the the pack further to the outside to avoid that, THEN thats when the battery terminal is being blocked. So your then stuck trying to angle the pack to get it to work up front clearing the steering arm and at the rear leaving access to battery port.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by Darkseid
The problems I've heard reported are that the pack, when positioned properly, is actually making contact with the steering ackerman arm. And that those having the problem are having to push the the pack further to the outside to avoid that, THEN thats when the battery terminal is being blocked. So your then stuck trying to angle the pack to get it to work up front clearing the steering arm and at the rear leaving access to battery port.
So now its 2 issues that need clarification...although its been asked about several times in the forum, no one has confirmed this.

PW: dont you have some Orion Lipos? Would you please test and see if they fit properly in the car? Maybe Tim from Fasttrack has some you guys can test with? Someone has to know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.