Schumacher Corner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

The problem with the rubber bands (or o-rings for that matter) is that it really doesn't get rid of the slop, it just makes you think it does. The forces and stresses that our cars produce is more than enough to over come the strength of the rubber bands. The car will feel better (less sloppy) on the bench, but you will still have slop while running. That is not to say there is no benefit, as I would expect the car to center better in a straight line (providing you have a good servo), and maybe be more sensitive off center.
I used to use teflon plumbers tape. Just cut a square (maybe 1cm x 1cm) then ball it up, put it in your ball cup, and press it on. It is remarkable how much you can compress this material inside th cup. The down side is that it will eventually work its way out of the cup (usually 3-4 runs). -Jeff
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Body bags are nice and thin so they work well for taking the play out of ball cups. Just make sure when you're removing play from your car that you don't add any binding at all. The car will handle much worse if there is a slight amount of binding compared to a little amount of play. I actually think that the cars work better with a little amount of play, theory being that the adjustments on them no matter how carefully done, theyre never perfect, because anything in rc is never perfect, and a little amount of play covers up those inperfections. So if something is a little sloppy, don't worry about replacing it or trying to make it zero play, a lot of how a car is going to handle can be mental too. If you think a change is going to make it way better than you probably will think it's faster and vice versa. That's why when I make changes I try to drive the car with a "lets see how this worked " kind of mentality .
Old 05-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

I've been doing some reading and is it safe to say that the mi2 likes to run with close or the same springs in the front and rear?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Schumacher sell rose joints (Pt number U728 )

I've replaced the middle bell crank link and the connection between the servo and the steering arm - these joints have zero slop!

You'll need a couple of different screws but I'm sure we've all got tons of these hanging around in our pit boxes!

Cost about £4 ($7) and works a treat
Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

The rubber band trick has worked foe me. Yes the forces will overcome the bands in turns but mine was mainly for the straights and it has made the car track perfect down the straights. I don't mind the slop as the car from the first run has gone straight so to me as long as it continues that way I don't care how much slop I get. The car runs very consistant so the little slop I have isn't affecting its performance. I will say I have my bands on pretty tight and takes a good amount of effort to move them. I have really short ones folded around twice.

I have heard of the plastic bag trick many of times but never actually tried it but from others posting on here and other threads I know it works.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with Weylin. The little bit of slop that's inherent in our cars makes them much more drivable. To me, tightening everything up too much, beside the potential for binding, could make the cars more twitchy and sensitive to imperfections in the track. That little bit of slop should make the car more forgiving.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:40 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I agree with Weylin. The little bit of slop that's inherent in our cars makes them much more drivable. To me, tightening everything up too much, beside the potential for binding, could make the cars more twitchy and sensitive to imperfections in the track. That little bit of slop should make the car more forgiving.
100% true. Even with the rubber band setup or using the wrapper trick some slop is always needed to make the car track straight.

I remember years ago racing oval I shimmed a car to have zero slop anywhere on the car. Man I practiced twice and the car was absolutely horrible. I took a shim or two out and had a little slop back in the car and it was perfect. From then on I learned that some slop is needed in a car to make it track straight and work properly.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I remember years ago racing oval I shimmed a car to have zero slop anywhere on the car.
Wow I forgot, you are old aren't ya
Old 05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yooo Adrian... Happy Birthday...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Happy B-day ya old man.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Wow I forgot, you are old aren't ya
I'm creeping up their.

Oh snap didn't know it was Adrians birthday. Well have a good one. Hope PW gave you the day off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Happy Birthday Adrian.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:25 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Actually he did get the day off to go racing, but he didn't tell me it was his B-Day
Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

HBD
Old 05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I want a day off to go play golf and a day off to go play poker. Wonder if they would believe its my birthday twice in a week....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.