Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who stickin it out with o donnell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

"piss off you little squirrel"......there's the new "safe for my 5 yr old son's ears" frustrated driver / road rage expression! Thanks Jon!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
I ordered (before I ever posted, of course ) 19 different things and I don't even own a OD car. The clutch bell screws are awesome. At $0.37 I should have bought 20.

19 things in the cart and the total was $40. Awesome Truggy bodies are $8!!
Why are you ordering truggy bodies.....admit it, ya goofed up the paint job on one of mine didn't ya???
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Not suprising

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
O'Donnell is alive and well. Talked to him the other day.

Brick wall for you as well.
When I talked to Steve he was super cool, I have no doubt that he will end up shinning like always, but Jon, your response to that guy, even if he is wrong, and drove his car very little, and did this and that, man you have a bad attitude.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
Haven't really been on RCTech much these days. But... Here I am.

You wrote me back in October 2010. I remember it well because I wrote you from my Hotel room while I was in Spokane racing the Mapston Memorial Race. I had just finished practice day and was beat, dirty and tired. Despite that, I replied to your PM. You then wrote in the public forum;

"Jon Moore, you made my choice for a first buggy a good one. I just finished the build. For a first-timer, it was an interesting task, but I learned alot. My next task is to break-in my two OS Speeds that I'm waiting on. Thanks again. Hopefully, my first practice session will be in a few weeks. Last question, does anyone have a setup available in PDF for a indoor clay surface?"

In October 2010, none of us knew any trouble was in the future for the O'Donnell car support. The team was strong and I was already planning for the season of 2011.

Then the rumors started and the legal issues began between O'Donnell and Hobbico.

You seemed to think I either knew this was coming or I could see into the future. You blamed ME for this, because you then wrote in the public forum;

"Jon, I fully appreciate you leading me down the path of a dead end. Nothing like spending a bunch of money on a product in which it's company is in the midst of turmoil. Thanks a bunch"

Wow. Thanks a lot. For some reason you decided to punch me below the belt for something I had no control over. I had been offering FREE support for the car since 2008. I bet you think I knew this was going to happen in 2008, huh? Idiot.

I have never cashed a check from either company. I've spent hours writing in the forum, answering PM's, answering emails and even time on the phone. To you, though, it was all a ploy and a scam. You dolt.

Well, this is the last time I'm writing to YOU!

You're a troll. In 3 months, you put 30 mins of runtime on your buggy (unless you were lying in your ad), in seven months you've posted 22 times. Most of which is meaningless junk.

I have NO doubt you checked where I lived before you posted your crap blaming me. You're a coward. You offer nothing to the hobby and nothing to the sport of racing. You have less than an hour piloting one of these cars and you've never even entered a race. You have no idea how hard sponsored drivers work or what it takes to represent a brand at the race track.

You spit and rant behind a keyboard and a monitor. You're pathetic and childish. Any future comments can be addressed to the nearest brick wall.

Piss off you little squirrel.
LOL +1 Well said
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

jtec racing in danville il has lots of od parts plus new kits. number is 217-442-race
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Piss off... you little squirrel.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
Piss off... you little squirrel.
you saying it to me
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

It's totally understandable that under these type of situations that tempers can flare and things can quickly become ugly.

If you want to continue to race and have great part support, I think Steve above all people would gladly support your choice if you were to check out different brands until he gets going again.
I was told that Steve will be operating his own business. This means he will be in full control and not tied in with distributors or at least that's the method they have looked at.

I believe that Hobbico in my opinion is milking this situation as they are full aware that once Steve is a free man, it's back to business as usual for him.

These distributors can be total hacks to deal with and the political nature of this business is sickening as it all revolves are the almighty dollar.

Once Steve can comment, he will. He knows this business, it's his living and he will return.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Awesome

Originally Posted by Greg B
It's totally understandable that under these type of situations that tempers can flare and things can quickly become ugly.

If you want to continue to race and have great part support, I think Steve above all people would gladly support your choice if you were to check out different brands until he gets going again.
I was told that Steve will be operating his own business. This means he will be in full control and not tied in with distributors or at least that's the method they have looked at.

I believe that Hobbico in my opinion is milking this situation as they are full aware that once Steve is a free man, it's back to business as usual for him.

These distributors can be total hacks to deal with and the political nature of this business is sickening as it all revolves are the almighty dollar.

Once Steve can comment, he will. He knows this business, it's his living and he will return.
Well said Mr. B. I cant wait. I hope he makes a new .21 off road engine....The ss was great, but I know that Steve is just the coolest guy. He is so friendly and easy to talk to.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so seeing tower is blowing out the stock of o d parts does anyone really believe they are going to be back around?someone has to know the truth
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by welderllj
so seeing tower is blowing out the stock of o d parts does anyone really believe they are going to be back around?someone has to know the truth

Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower and O'Donnell have split ways. What product that is on the shelf belongs to them so therefore they are getting rid of it.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by welderllj
I could be totally off base, but like I've said before, I think it's now boiled down to negotiating the capital assets associated with manufacturing the product line (plastic molds, tooling for machined components, etc...).

I've been in a similar situation in my job, so I can definitely relate to the length of time needed to hash out those kind of details. I've seen three different scenarios, and each has a different level of grief associated with it.

1). Parent company purchases the "tooling" outright, and provides it to the supplier. (Parent company owns tooling, and has full rights to it).

2). Parent company has supplier purchase tooling, and amortize the cost into the product. (Parent company owns tooling, but depending on whether or not the full price has been amortized, ownership may or may not be questioned).

3. Supplier sources and purchases tooling, and may or may not amortize a portion of that cost over the life of the product. (Parent company does not own the asset, and cannot do anything with it unless it is purchased from the supplier).

Where it gets tricky is how "parent company" is defined. Is it Hobbico or O'Donnell??? The two companies have been operating under a partnership for many, many years. I'm sure that when the vehicle line was being developed, both Hobbico and O'Donnell Mfg. invested money. That being said, there are numerous details that have to be resolved as part of the separation, which simply takes time. We, the customers, have the unfortunate task of having the be patient. For some, the patience will run out, for others, it will not.

As has also been discussed previously, the main reason that neither side has made a comment, either official or unofficial, is that the outcome is not finalized yet. To make a statement could potentially hinder the negotiations, and would also cause frustration to the customers if such statements needed to be changed after the fact.

Again, I may be totally off in left field with my thought patten, but it makes sense. Regardless, when the time is appropriate for a comment, I'm sure we'll be hearing from both sides.

Last edited by Stubbs; 06-17-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typos...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, you're correct. Any type of official or unofficial announcement could result in more delays and/or lawsuits.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I could be totally off base, but like I've said before, I think it's now bolied down to negotiating the capital assets associated with manufacturing the product line (plastic molds, tooling for machined components, etc...).

I've been in a similar situation in my job, so I can definitely relate to the length of time needed to hash out those kind of details. I've seen three different scenarios, and each has a different level of grief associated with it.

1). Parent company purchases the "tooling" outright, and provides it to the supplier. (Parent company owns tooling, and has full rights to it).

2). Parent company has supplier purchase tooling, and amortize the cost into the product. (Parent company owns tooling, but depending on whether or not the full price has been amortized, ownership may or may not be questioned).

3. Supplier sources and purchases tooling, and may or may not amortize a portion of that cost over the life of the product. (Parent company does not own the asset, and cannot do anything with it unless it is purchased from the supplier).

Where it gets tricky is how "parent company" is defined. Is it Hobbico or O'Donnell??? The two companies have been operating under a partnership for many, many years. I'm sure that when the vehicle line was being developed, both Hobbico and O'Donnell Mfg. invested money. That being said, there are numerous details that have to be resolved as part of the separation, which simply takes time. We, the customers, have the unfortunate task of having the be patient. For some, the patience will run out, for others, it will not.

As has also been discussed previously, the main reason that neither side has made a comment, either official or unofficial, is that the outcome is not finalized yet. To make a statement could potentially hinder the negotiations, and would also cause frustration to the customers if such statements needed to be changed after the fact.

Again, I may be totally off in left field with my thought patten, but it makes sense. Regardless, when the time is appropriate for a comment, I'm sure we'll be hearing from both sides.
+1 To what stubb said, i work in manufacturing as well and this is spot on.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

It is what it is you guys, a situation that none of us know the exact details of. All of us have to decide what will make the best of our hobby, if you are a diehard supporter then by all means stick with your favorite brands no matter what the troubles! But the statement that O'Donnell is alive and well is a little misleading as far as the Z01 chassis line is concerned. It may be alive as a concept, as I'm sure it will be as long as Steve is breathing, but it is certainly not well! Investing in this product line as a racer needs to be done with extreme caution AT THIS TIME! I really hope this changes in the future as I would love to see what the SG evolves into as it was a solid platform.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.