Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Search DLS II on this thread, he posted his Kyosho (car in middle) some pages ago using A123 batteries powered.
Very cool! That would be a blast on an asphalt track.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
I believe I can add fuel to this fire. On the left is a 1/8 PAN car. The middle is a 1/8 full IS car. On the right a 200mm 1/10 pan car. Don

Great explanation Don.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

More track testing of my Evolva brushless...driving by Jim Adkins...it's a bit long, but I wanted you guys to see that the battery is lasting...in this case there was more run time than my camera's memory card could hold!

RAMS Track Testing

The car ran flawlessly except for the fact that I had forgotten to reattach the rear sway bar before I put it on the track....DOH! Anyways, motor temps, battery temps and esc temps were cool...barely warm.

The new setup fits under a Protoform P909 body and I'm contemplating a "quick change" (5-7 secs?) access in the body for battery swaps...maybe not necessary because it probably won't ever be in a 20-30 minute race (battery times are anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes depending on how hard you can drive), but who knows?

By the way...did anyone catch it in this month's "Reader's Rides" in RC Car Action?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Awesome results EBP! I am glad you are still taking the time to develop your setup. I am sure you are learning a ton of new things with each challenge. The video looked great and the speed down the straight was quick. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by y7deluxe; 09-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
More track testing of my Evolva brushless...driving by Jim Adkins...it's a bit long, but I wanted you guys to see that the battery is lasting...in this case there was more run time than my camera's memory card could hold!

RAMS Track Testing

The car ran flawlessly except for the fact that I had forgotten to reattach the rear sway bar before I put it on the track....DOH! Anyways, motor temps, battery temps and esc temps were cool...barely warm.

The new setup fits under a Protoform P909 body and I'm contemplating a "quick change" (5-7 secs?) access in the body for battery swaps...maybe not necessary because it probably won't ever be in a 20-30 minute race (battery times are anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes depending on how hard you can drive), but who knows?

By the way...did anyone catch it in this month's "Reader's Rides" in RC Car Action?
The car definitely look awesome...however, I really hope your rear sway bar link was the problem about the "handling" issue...it is a torture to see that video with that kinda handling...1/8th car should handle alot better then that especially with the 909 type body...
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y7deluxe
This is my losi l8ight converted to on-road. Specs: 2200kv MMM with castle creations ESC. maxamps.com 14.8v 6500's with 30C discharge. 19/45 gear ratio with the Losi center smart-diff installed. JR DS8711 servo. Ofna 86505 tires.. waiting on the 86509's to get off back order. Lights taken from the Traxxas summit and installed on the l8ight. Top speed: 49mph.
What body is that? Ferrari obviously but, who makes it?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
What body is that? Ferrari obviously but, who makes it?
Kyosho Inferno GT body

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ari-F430-GT-AF
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by js058515
That's awesome dude! Can you post some pics without the body? What all did you need to do to convert....arms, shocks, towers?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

If you have a 1/8 buggy it really doesn't take that much. Body, body mounts,wheels/tires and shorter shocks for the rear. Here's mine-I'm still working on it. Don
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010001.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010002.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010003.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010004.jpg  
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by y7deluxe; 09-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

The car definitely look awesome...however, I really hope your rear sway bar link was the problem about the "handling" issue...it is a torture to see that video with that kinda handling...1/8th car should handle alot better then that especially with the 909 type body...
Thank you Solara. I also hope I was right about the handling. After attaching it, I drove it (although not at the same skill level by a long shot!) and it definitely seemed to stick a bit better.

Last edited by East Bay Pete; 08-31-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
Thank you Solara. I also hope I was right about the handling. After attaching it, I drove it (although not at the same skill level by a long shot!) and it definitely seemed to stick a bit better.
Pete...do you mind to give me a measurement about your power source? That 4 cells saddle packs from IB6000....I cannot find any official measurement from anywhere and i would like to do a mock up and test fit it on my Serpent.

Serpent has a disadvantage over Mugen and Kyosho is because there rear radio plate mount also have both side chassis bracing...that took out alot of required space for batteries storage...On my MRX4R, it has more space for battery cause Mugen does not have side bracing.

Also...have you (or others) considered using TEKIN RX8..? How come everyone are using MMM unit..? Isn't it the TEKIN suppose to be better? More efficient especially for 5 or even 6 cells?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Pete...do you mind to give me a measurement about your power source? That 4 cells saddle packs from IB6000....I cannot find any official measurement from anywhere and i would like to do a mock up and test fit it on my Serpent.

Serpent has a disadvantage over Mugen and Kyosho is because there rear radio plate mount also have both side chassis bracing...that took out alot of required space for batteries storage...On my MRX4R, it has more space for battery cause Mugen does not have side bracing.
Solara, I purchased the packs from RCMushroom:

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16347

They came fast!

The webpage is a little off on the size. The final size of my pack (6000 mAh) was 92mm x 62mm x 69mm (L x W x H). The 4200 would be 46mm wide instead of 62mm.

Remember that I was using the Lamberto Collari body which you can't really get in the U.S. and it's really expensive to get it from Europe. It won't really fit under the P909 body. I've since moved on to a different pack setup that is still in testing.

Also...have you (or others) considered using TEKIN RX8..? How come everyone are using MMM unit..? Isn't it the TEKIN suppose to be better? More efficient especially for 5 or even 6 cells?
I have been working on this project for about 14 months now. When I first started, the MMM was still on V2 and Tekin didn't have the RX8 and T8 motors. All of my testing was done with the MMM.

With that said, my latest design is now testing the Tekin combo. The Tekin is sensored so, in theory, it might be smoother than the MMM although the latest firmware for the MMM has REALLY helped smooth out lower power and the throttle curve in general. The MMM has the ability to customize the throttle curve to whatever shape you want. The Tekin only has 7 preset curves, although rumor has it that they are working on software for a custom curve feature like the MMM.

Tekin has had some issues with the RX8; I know from first hand experience in my buggy, but I think they have solved that problem. So, I'm excited to test it out in my project. As for being more efficient, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Running higher cell counts will be more efficient on the motor...higher volts = lower amps. The motor will run cooler and for longer times on a pack. The RX8 is a bit smaller and fits nicely under my P909 body.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

the RX8 and steve nue 1515 motor powered our E-mugen to a win over the Kyosho driven by Scott at our TZGP. it was a battle of run time. Scott and Rich's car handeled a bit better but we had a bit more top speed and 1:30 more run time. working with Danny on a pack that will hopefully provide 10 min run time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.