Wiki Posts
Search

Need some assistance identifying this motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodog
Yes...but technically speaking...the BO1A was a GRP built for Ninja. The one he sold is a Losi GRP.

From the looks of it, the guy put together a hodge podge of useless engine parts.
That's probably true.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
this is a grp ninja?
http://www.ninja-engine.com/content/...lang=0&engID=1

i have a grp 21 buggy engine with a ninja head...
that is confirmed!
Yes, that is a GRP .21 that was distributed and marketed (atleast in US) by Mugen as a Ninja

(And then a year or so ago Mugen started using OS intead of GRP)
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

i am guessing this motor was peiced together just to get some money...

because the head bolts were flat head screws (never seen anything like it other then on a thunder tiger buggy)

the engine seems really good (great pinch with glow plug out) but the darn piston/head button are really shitty..

got burned on this one..
i have a real ninja on order at a main...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

because the head bolts were flat head screws (never seen anything like it other then on a thunder tiger buggy)
Flatheads are common on Nova motors. I never had a GRP based motor so I don't know what they came with but it wouldn't surprise me if they had flatheads too.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

i am guessing this motor was peiced together just to get some money...

the engine seems really good (great pinch with glow plug out) but the darn piston/head button are really shitty..

got burned on this one..
i have a real ninja on order at a main...
GRP made (in my opinion) great engines...you can try to crank it...maybe it will make a good practice engine...you might be able to find a deal on a new piston/sleeve and button.

You can check Amain hobbies, I think they still have some parts in stock or Horizon may have some left overs.

Unfortunately GRP decided not to build engines anymore after their factory burned down, and I believe Mario Rossi has gone to Boss engines.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Flatheads are common on Nova motors. I never had a GRP based motor so I don't know what they came with but it wouldn't surprise me if they had flatheads too.
Yeah, they look like the correct button head screws
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nitrodog
Yeah, they look like the correct button head screws
i replaced two of the head screws with go tech ones i had laying around

ill search for some grp .21 buggy engine parts parts.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have an actual Mugen Ninja motor. It's an original BO1 not BO1A. It's in better shape then that. I never could get a tune I was happy with and the piston and button look better then yours.

Pay me the shipping charge to you and I'll give it to ya. Can't hurt and maybe you can frankenstein something that will run. Should be more then 6 or 7 dollars USPS.

Write this lesson off as NEVER buy a used motor from the internet. From somebody at your local track who you know and trust there tuning maybe, but NEVER on the internet.

PM me if your interested in mine. it's collecting dust.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdeppen
I have an actual Mugen Ninja motor. It's an original BO1 not BO1A. It's in better shape then that. I never could get a tune I was happy with and the piston and button look better then yours.

Pay me the shipping charge to you and I'll give it to ya. Can't hurt and maybe you can frankenstein something that will run. Should be more then 6 or 7 dollars USPS.

Write this lesson off as NEVER buy a used motor from the internet. From somebody at your local track who you know and trust there tuning maybe, but NEVER on the internet.

You, sir, are a gentleman. I hope this works out for him.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rdeppen

i know 6 or7 bucks is not a lot right now...
but i am switching from buggy to truggy and i have spent about 500 bucks in the past 2 weeks buying truggy wheels tires and new servos..

and the actual truck i bought plus a case of fuel..
it sounds good ill see what i can get in a couple days
Old 12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's definatley the losi/ grp rossi tuned version crank case & parts. I have one , it's a very good engine but parts are not available any more(Grp factory burned down ).Mine needs a crank or i would still be running it. Can't complain as it has around 12 gallons on it , but yeah it looks like that guy is a crook allthough if you look close at his pictures you can see grp on the block. The ninja had rossi on the side but not grp if i remember correct. Sorry about that man.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I'm not seeing how you think this is a hodge-podege motor.

Everything I see on it says GRP. Even the head that you think comes from a different Ninja says GRP right on it?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, they are all GRP parts, and all compatible, but the engine is definitly not in it's orginal configuration. The engine sold by Losi with the GRP badging in the picture came with an orange head. The head in the picture came with the Mugen GRP Ninja. I'm just saying...based on the evidence...that it looks like the guy had some "useless" GRP parts and assembled them and then sold it on the internet. (he should have disclaimed this)

That's all

I think the moral of the story is...buy new (espcially engines and electronics) or buy from a trusted friend...or if you have to buy used...go through paypal and maybe they can reverse payment if you've been wronged.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

That sucks mang!!!
Sorry to hear that and that it happened here too.
Used engines are very risky as I have learned myself.
Hope it all works out in the end for you.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

i traded some 10th scale brushless gear for it

the guy said if im not happy i can return the motor...

i found a piston sleeve set on ebay brand new and bought it...

done deal..

when i buy used i expect the worse but 99.9 percent of the time i get decent light used motors....

this is that .1 chance i got a dud...
if anything its a great practice/play motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.