Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which stock motor is faster? Titan 12T or HPI 15T? >

Which stock motor is faster? Titan 12T or HPI 15T?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which stock motor is faster? Titan 12T or HPI 15T?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running a Firebolt 15T in my Slash for a few weeks while I wait for a replacement Titan from Traxxas...

The Titan is definitely torquier and has more punch to me - We have a pretty technical track and I'll be switching back to the Titan asap.

The HPI does sounds kinda neat though..

Both titan motors I have failed at the bearings so I'd recommend keeping it clean and well lubed..
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Well I put the Firebolt 15T in and drove it around my kitchen. It seems kinda like a turd. I'm running a Reedy 5000mah so I don't think its the battery.

I would like to run the Titan but now I'm scared of burning up the brand new speedo.
I feel like such a noob. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know a whole lot about brushed setups and haven't ran anything but brushless in over 18 months.
I don't think you'll burn up the speedo. Besides if you do they are always on sale for next to nothing. In fact I have a set of brand new blitz electronics I need to put up for sale. I'll be happy to get $30 for the whole lot (ESC, receiver, servo, transmitter)
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
I don't think you'll burn up the speedo. Besides if you do they are always on sale for next to nothing. In fact I have a set of brand new blitz electronics I need to put up for sale. I'll be happy to get $30 for the whole lot (ESC, receiver, servo, transmitter)
I had two blitzes I parted out and kept the electronics from one which is what I'm currently using. Just because they're cheap doesn't mean I want to burn up a new ESC!

I'll give you $30 for all the electronics you have. Is there a motor too? Send me your Paypal info.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
"better luck" as in not blowing up or as in being faster and winning more races?

It also weighs less so maybe I will go with that one. I don't need gobs of torque. its a really small track.
winning alot more races and staying like brand new
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have raced both in my Blitz. I am currently using the HPI motor (I have a couple of them) and have no issues with speed. I do feel a well maintained Titan is a better choice, and once these 2 HPI motors wear out, I will be going back to the Titan. Personal preference I would guess. I tend to gear the HPI motor about a tooth higher than the Titan, cant explain why, but that is where I have had the best luck.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jk racing
I have raced both in my Blitz. I am currently using the HPI motor (I have a couple of them) and have no issues with speed. I do feel a well maintained Titan is a better choice, and once these 2 HPI motors wear out, I will be going back to the Titan. Personal preference I would guess. I tend to gear the HPI motor about a tooth higher than the Titan, cant explain why, but that is where I have had the best luck.
because the lower the turn number the faster they are
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone x
because the lower the turn number the faster they are
Unloaded RPM, the HPI motor spins faster. NIP HPI tested against NIP Titan. The HPI motor also pulls more amps (2.1 average @ 5 volts for the Titan, over 4 for the HPI, tested back to back).

When loaded, the torque of the Titan shines, on these trucks (being heavier than "standard" 1/10 scale) torque helps. BUT, if you are running on a loose dusty slippery track, the lower torque of the HPI helps with traction.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive ran both Titains & Firebolts... I break them both in a cup of water & dynoed them... In which they will spin an extra 2 to 3000 rpms after this break in.

I will say the Titain is torquer & lasts longer than the Firebolt...BUT the Firebolt will beat the Titain down the straight everytime...

just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

tita in a 550 can and HPI is a 540 can
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Can the Firebolts fit directly into Traxxas Slash in size? without change anything?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xmax
Can the Firebolts fit directly into Traxxas Slash in size? without change anything?
Yes it will.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its all in the gearing! I can make any of those motors shine. I gear the Titans to self destruct (in a slash 23/83), I have found that b/c of the crappy tolerance in these motors you will find one that likes the heat. I ran the 2nd GCS event with this gearing/motor in my slash and it took a 10min main to get in past 140 in degrees. But then I had another titan on similar conditions burn up pretty bad after 5 mins. So honestly each motor is diff.

The titan seem to handle the low roll out ratio b/c of there size and fan. But it does not mean I cant get simialr results with another motor. The Hpi you must gear differently. same with the reedy radon, which seems to be the fastest (most RPM). I have to gear down to 19/83 with a radon motor but yet I am faster than the Titan on the starights, but If I were to go up a tooth or 2 on the Radon, it would puff in minutes (smaller motor/ no fan)

If you want to be the baddest Mo FO in the spec class either A. buy alot of motors and find the golden ticket. or B. Go buy a Red Dot Slash Motor
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Well i ran the Firebolt in the Slash today with a Reedy 5000mah 20C lipo and w/o breaking it in at all it took about 1/2 the pack before it was not embarassing. Then it was just a turd. Man I hate brushed stuff! I'm not even going to waste time trying the Titan. If forgot how crappy non brushless is!!!

Castle here I come!!!