Wiki Posts
Search

new transponder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default new transponder

the new smaller transponder is it worth it to get one or just buy a used amb?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Buy the new one. You can get them for $89.99. You are going to pay that for a used one.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i saw that they came out with a new design. But i went ahead and bought the older design. It was a couple bucks more expensive. Did i make a mistake? I didn't like that fact that you could not screw it down and it does not have a led light.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its all preference. I have the new one with and extra holder so i can swap between cars.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have 3 new ones and 3 old ones. They all work the same. But I can fit the new one inside the radio box on the losi cars with room to spare. The new ones are a lot smaller but they both work the same.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Lord

The new transponder is just a step in between of 2 systems, when the RC4 system comes the old transponder will become unusefull.
Also the new transponder has fuel resistance wires and has a stronger output signal. Placing it close to the receiver I would not sugest, I have seen many problems with transponders near the receivers. You actually place a transmitter close to a receiver which afects the receiving signal as also other electronics within the receiver.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

so in other words, i made a mistake. when they come out with the new lap counter it will be obsolete? I have not used it yet, should i return it and get the new one? And when does the new system come out? At my local track all anyone really use's is the old model. Plus the shop owners whoud have to buy a new lap counting system, which i am sure would cost a couple thousand.

On another note, it in some ways makes me angry. I mean these little things that count laps, cost as much as my iphone. It's ridiculous. I can get a rx and a spectrum module for the same price. Is the circuts made of gold? Then you buy one only to find out you wont' be able to use it in the future. Stupid stupid stupid.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreaux
so in other words, i made a mistake. when they come out with the new lap counter it will be obsolete? I have not used it yet, should i return it and get the new one? And when does the new system come out? At my local track all anyone really use's is the old model. Plus the shop owners whoud have to buy a new lap counting system, which i am sure would cost a couple thousand.

On another note, it in some ways makes me angry. I mean these little things that count laps, cost as much as my iphone. It's ridiculous. I can get a rx and a spectrum module for the same price. Is the circuts made of gold? Then you buy one only to find out you wont' be able to use it in the future. Stupid stupid stupid.
Im going to go out on a limb and say the old ones wil be fine untill the track buys the new RC4 system witch I dont see happening very soon due to the cost so the old style will stil be used at tracks that are using the old style untill they upgrade...
Old 08-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

the new systems will be expen$ive
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Most tracks won't upgrade until the old system crashes.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Lord

You will never know what interesting exchange deal AMB is gonna offer to the tracks......
Beside that the real RC4 transponder will get some neat futures.

Buying a used transponder is giving some questions as well like if it is registrated and how long it is gonna last.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

If you track has the new RC3 decoder with the LCD screen on it, they can get a free upgrade when the RC4 comes out.

Everybody knows AMB is overpriced and they are, but they have a chokehold of lap counting in ALL forms of racing-Motox, nascar, rc, etc. The one good thing is that the AMB decoder's last for years and the transponders last for years also, and they are extremely accurate.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

then they would be forcing everyone else to buy the new transponders. Hopefully the new system will be compatible with the old transponders like the old system is compatible with the new transponders.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i saw that they came out with a new design. But i went ahead and bought the older design. It was a couple bucks more expensive. Did i make a mistake? I didn't like that fact that you could not screw it down and it does not have a led light.
If you are talking about the new rc4's not having a light, you're misinformed. They do have a red light on them to let you know they're working, and they come with a holder that works great, it screws in perfect on all the buggys I've seen except the losi.
Plus, they are super small. I couldn't believe how little they were when I got mine.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

The old transponders are compatible with the new RC4 system. No need to worry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.