Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

I think the Spring chart on the Reflex website needs updating.
On the chart it says the T4 Yellows are 14.5-15.1, but on the spring page it says they go to 15.2.

Also, T4 Orange are 17.0 on the chart and 16.7 on the springs page etc.

Still not measured some Xray 2.5's?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Go by what the chart says. The product page is the manufacturer rating, the chart is a temperature adjusted value in order to remain a constant value in relation to other springs.

I have not had time to measure 2.5 springs. Things are very busy behind the scenes with our new facility build out and the testing of our RX4 T4 chassis.

What I can say is that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I should be moving into the new facility this weekend if I can get everything sorted out and the new chassis should go into production sometime next week. So far the results are very promising. I will post pictures and start a pre-order as soon as I am able to do so.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cristian

I have sent you a email just checking to see if you got it, no hurry on the reply

Edwin
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks a ton for showing James and I the ropes at RSD Speedway Sunday. I had a great time and the place looks fantastic. I can't wait for some epic races there for many years! Also looking forward to your new chassis/car. It looked promising.

AWD
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Testing springs etc last weekend and started to doubt some of the effects I was getting.

Should softer or harder springs give more initial steering?

I understand that whichever it is it might cause a loss of mid corner steering but I can make other adjustments for that.

Skiddins
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Testing springs etc last weekend and started to doubt some of the effects I was getting.

Should softer or harder springs give more initial steering?

I understand that whichever it is it might cause a loss of mid corner steering but I can make other adjustments for that.

Skiddins
IMO, there is no simple answer.

That said, I would expect stiffer springs to give quicker reactions off center, but maybe cause the car to take longer to get to the middle of the corner, as weight transfer takes more time.

This is assuming you aren't already too stiff. For instance on a T4, starting from 2.7 in the front though (which is a relatively balanced spring), above is what I would expect.

Last edited by erchn; 08-05-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Bad assumption made less assuming.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
IMO, there is no simple answer.

That said, I would expect stiffer springs to give quicker reactions off center, but maybe cause the car to take longer to get to the middle of the corner, as weight transfer takes more time.

This is assuming you aren't already too stiff. For instance on a T4, starting from 2.7 in the front though (which is a relatively balanced spring), above is what I would expect.
I fitted a pair of AME green springs, which seem similar to Xray 2.9's (having gone from RSD Silver's) and the steering felt lazy, I admit it got me ftd but it felt too much like hard work to get fast laps as it felt too safe.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I fitted a pair of AME green springs, which seem similar to Xray 2.9's (having gone from RSD Silver's) and the steering felt lazy, I admit it got me ftd but it felt too much like hard work to get fast laps as it felt too safe.
I've not tested any AME springs. But I will say that just because it claims to be stiffer or even measures stiffer it can feel very different. Take, for instance, the RSD Silver T4 vs. Green T4 springs, they measure nearly identical, but they feel pretty different on the track. The Green's (to me) feel lazier, though they measure slightly stiffer.

Also, if you are going all the way up to a 2.9ish spring, and not making other changes like lowering the amount of front anti-sway bar, the car may not generate much lateral traction due to lack of roll. When running RSD Red springs on my car, I run a 1.1 front bar, as example.

I would say that an easier test would be just standing your shock up a bit more with the same spring, to see if it generates the reaction to change you are expecting.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

I've not tested any AME springs. But I will say that just because it claims to be stiffer or even measures stiffer it can feel very different. Take, for instance, the RSD Silver T4 vs. Green T4 springs, they measure nearly identical, but they feel pretty different on the track. The Green's (to me) feel lazier, though they measure slightly stiffer.

Also, if you are going all the way up to a 2.9ish spring, and not making other changes like lowering the amount of front anti-sway bar, the car may not generate much lateral traction due to lack of roll. When running RSD Red springs on my car, I run a 1.1 front bar, as example.

I would say that an easier test would be just standing your shock up a bit more with the same spring, to see if it generates the reaction to change you are expecting.
I have the Reds, but haven't tried them as they are so stiff.
I have to be carefull at my home track as it isn't completely flat, so going to stiff can cause other issues, like flying off the sweeper But I'll try the red's at some point, might have to buy some other roll bars.
I do tend to run a 1.3 front roll bar on asphalt (and a 1.3 rear)
Another thing I haven't tried is lowering the front roll centre's (at the wishbone) as I'm always worried it migth make the steering too lazy.

Skiddins
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Cristian how far away are the TC6.1 hard anodized spool cups?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't have a date, but soon. We are working out some kinks with some samples from a different vendor. Should be late August/Early September if all goes well.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I've been playing with the RSD reds on my car as well (coincidentally with a lighter front bar as well). I really like the way they feel in mod compared to the silvers or 2.5-2.8s when the bite comes up. The car feels more consistent lap to lap.

Eric (is that right?), what's your experience with the 2.5-2.8s compared to the reds?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Yeah, I've been playing with the RSD reds on my car as well (coincidentally with a lighter front bar as well). I really like the way they feel in mod compared to the silvers or 2.5-2.8s when the bite comes up. The car feels more consistent lap to lap.

Eric (is that right?), what's your experience with the 2.5-2.8s compared to the reds?
Ethan, actually, no biggy.

I've not really liked the 2.5-2.8, car feels a bit too lazy going in, and not consistent through the rest of the corner.

The reds do feel really good, IMO, but I would like to find a bit more mid-corner steering. You definitely need lighter bars though, in the rear I'm not running a bar at all.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ethan, actually, no biggy.
My bad. Sorry about that.
I've not really liked the 2.5-2.8, car feels a bit too lazy going in, and not consistent through the rest of the corner.
That's how I've felt about them.
The reds do feel really good, IMO, but I would like to find a bit more mid-corner steering. You definitely need lighter bars though, in the rear I'm not running a bar at all.
Yeah, I'm in the same position. I have a couple of things to try tomorrow that I hope will ameliorate the problem.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

PM to Cristian 8/7/13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.