Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of having another go at Touring Car (I currently run 1/12th and WGT) and I'm really interested in the JRXS-R.

I've read through a good chunk of this thread and it sure seems there is an active group of folks running the car and having success with it.

Perhaps not surprisingly the other car I'm looking at is the TM E4 which has a very similar overall layout (this battery-centered layout is what attracts me to both cars).

I was wondering if there are any folks here who have owned or driven both cars and can provide a fairly objective view of the pros/cons of each car. I'm really not trying to start an E4 or JRXS-R bash-fest ...I just would like to get a sense of what people think of each.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
This car has some interesting dynamics as far as lateral loading in corners with respect to the center of gravity. The car stays flatter to begin with than any other chassis I've ever driven. It transfers weight differently. It almost feels like when it loads to the side, instead of pushing heavily, it catches traction and balances itself really quickly. Other cars roll, stay loaded to one side, then rock back when the load goes away or they traction roll.
like this? diffrent driving style and all but this images can explain some of what you saying up to certain degree.

Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-hb_losi_turn.jpg   Team Losi JRXS Type-R-hb_losi_turn2.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz406
You guys are right about the finding the right combination of reactivity and traction. It's fun learning this stuff and it's still ongoing for me.
Believe me when I say its ongoing for everyone! There is always something to learn and a new combination of setup elements to try together in the search for crazy speed.

I like the shots of the TC vs the type R. You can see the advantage of the central weight layout with the car not behaving like a boat into every turn.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of having another go at Touring Car (I currently run 1/12th and WGT) and I'm really interested in the JRXS-R.

I've read through a good chunk of this thread and it sure seems there is an active group of folks running the car and having success with it.

Perhaps not surprisingly the other car I'm looking at is the TM E4 which has a very similar overall layout (this battery-centered layout is what attracts me to both cars).

I was wondering if there are any folks here who have owned or driven both cars and can provide a fairly objective view of the pros/cons of each car. I'm really not trying to start an E4 or JRXS-R bash-fest ...I just would like to get a sense of what people think of each.

Cheers,
Mike
There are advantages to both designs but one reason I would stay away from the T4 is the small size of the pulleys. You are just asking for lots of belt skip or friction. Its just a complicated system with 3 belts for an EP tourer. You gotta feel for people trying to push that drivetrain in spec racing.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
like this? diffrent driving style and all but this images can explain some of what you saying up to certain degree.

EXACTLY! If you get it right on setup, that's what it looks like. Nice shots!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What spur gear size do you guys use for 13.5 rubber? thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
Mike
I own 2 E4JSs and 2 JRX-S Type Rs. Both handle very well. Both tune very well. Both have decent parts prices. It will be hard to get local parts support for the E4 cars from your LHS, but Wolf Hobbies will get you your parts in days for California. The E4RS and the R both have bottom entry battery trays, The E4JS is a top loader. The R has a better belt tensioning system in my opinion. Both cars lack major factory support and have lost very good drivers who would have promoted the cars. Barry Baker signed with TM, but that didn't work out. Losi doesn't have full time drivers for the R any longer either. The E4 has slightly more belt drag due to having an extra belt, but its very minimal. Both will win in the right hands.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by |JayFlores|2
118 PRS here.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by |JayFlores|2
Me personally 104-116 depending on track layout. But with the new speed control profiles I've been only using 108+. If things continue to on the pace they are, in a few more months we will be back to using the stock spur gears sizes in the spec motor classes.

BTW I typically try to use the smallest spur I get away with. Because this will move the motor as far forward as possible.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
Me personally 104-116 depending on track layout. But with the new speed control profiles I've been only using 108+. If things continue to on the pace they are, in a few more months we will be back to using the stock spur gears sizes in the spec motor classes.

BTW I typically try to use the smallest spur I get away with. Because this will move the motor as far forward as possible.
Since I got myself a Tekin RS, I been running 118T with a 13.5, I switch to a 108T when I run 17.5 for same reason as yours
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

In theroy it is best to try and run the largest spur/pinion you can fit for any gear ratio. This will give you less friction between the pinion and spur and therefore more top end. You can adjust weight balance with lead.

This won't win races for you but if you are looking for everything you can then it helps.

Has anyone tried a flex mod deck but left the upper deck supports in place and bolted down to the top deck? What were your thoughts?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been using the Titanium racing pinion gears and i've noticed my car is quieter. I can hear more of the drive train noise now. Actually it helped me find a wacked out lcd center sleeve thingy.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
In theroy it is best to try and run the largest spur/pinion you can fit for any gear ratio. This will give you less friction between the pinion and spur and therefore more top end. You can adjust weight balance with lead.

This won't win races for you but if you are looking for everything you can then it helps.

Has anyone tried a flex mod deck but left the upper deck supports in place and bolted down to the top deck? What were your thoughts?
not only in theory, back when we used to have 20ish pinions on the cars that mde hugh diffrence, cars with a bigger gears smoother and roll further when coasting. but not in todays BL with Flywheel size pinions.

balancing is kinda mental thingie if you ask em hahah

Originally Posted by YmeBP
I've been using the Titanium racing pinion gears and i've noticed my car is quieter. I can hear more of the drive train noise now. Actually it helped me find a wacked out lcd center sleeve thingy.
I had few TiR and that company used to pack with a 2mm set screw sometime and that drove me nut ! for the gear/screws they have state of the art products for sure.

but I found out noise from the gears are more from meterial of spur than a quality of a pinion.

softer spur in brand new condition is quiter than a hard one, when only it is new.

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 09-18-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, another reason why I chose the type-R is that it is easier to make weight. I had the car reach 1525 last season with ease. Secondly, I think the chassis width is narrower on the E4, making less space to mount electronics, they are more exposed. Thirdly, I think I read somewhere in the E4 forum that some had issues fitting newer motors on the chassis.

Lastly, the gearing issues, you can achieve higher gearing on the type-r vs the E4 for 17.5

Now when you compare the two against each other at a major race.. The Type-R has done better. Barry Baker could not get the E4 to run well for him at the 2008 IIC. As for the type-r, fairtrace and shreff were able to win many races, and if I remember correctly, finished better at the 2008 IIC with the type-r vs the photon in 2009. I think that fairtrace would still be racing the type-r if Losi would sponsor him.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
If your pinion is very small as they are in mod, then yes you do want to try and go bigger. In spec classes where the pinions are much bigger then there is no harm moving the motor as far forward as possible. Also bigger pinions and spurs mean more rotating mass, not so good. In 17.5 you might feel the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.