Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Servos in TC/USGT cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Recommended Servos in TC/USGT cars

As the title states, what servos are you guys running in your TC/USGT cars? I believe mine is on it's last leg (spektrum 6070) although i believe i can take it apart and clean it since it just sounds gritty. But I'd still like to look at another servo to put in my Destiny chassis. Leave your recommendations.

Also what do you think of the savox 1268
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm going to bias and say Sanwa from the ERS series to the BLS also performs flawless with their radios. With that said I really like the Highest servo brand also since you can use those in SSR mode with sanwa radio.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this what Ive been using Reedy RS0806 LP Digital HV Hi-Speed Competition Servo since its release...Im very happy with them...prior to I used the reliable Futaba 9551 and Sanwa

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/27108/
Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the SC-MG1252 by Savox and really like it. For my VTA or USGT car though I slow it down a little bit. Like any other savox servo though it is a little more power hungry.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've always been a Futaba guy when it comes to servos. Futaba 9451, 9452, or 9551.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

wide range of options from all i see..
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennhl
I've always been a Futaba guy when it comes to servos. Futaba 9451, 9452, or 9551.
I don't understand why so many people use Futaba servos, they seem to be much slower compared to others.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

The R1 servos are also a great option.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nubs
I don't understand why so many people use Futaba servos, they seem to be much slower compared to others.
Reliable, smooth, and plenty quick. I have found that if I get too quick of a servo, it has a tendency to chatter. Plus I trust their published numbers.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

People get used to running whatever speed servo is in their car. Just watch someone who is used to running a slow servo borrow someone's car with a fast servo - lots of turning in too early.

I've also seen the opposite. Inexperienced people running too fast of a servo with a radio without any servo speed or expo adjustments. Their car always looks out of control as they struggle to catch up to how fast their car reacts.

Like many threads like this, there will be plenty of responses from people with a favorite brand. Please make sure to include what the application you are using your servo (car/class/transmitter) to keep the response in context.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe it's just me, but I've never gotten too caught up with the servo speed hype. Anything around .10 seconds seems to work great for me. If you look at the geometry of most touring cars, moving the servo 45 degrees results in around half of that at the tires. So a servo that can move 60 degrees in .10 seconds moves the wheels 30 degrees in .10 seconds.

Now take a real car. A fast steering box would be 12 to 1, so for every full turn at the steering wheel, the wheels turn 30 degrees. So to turn the front wheels at the same speed as an RC car, the driver would have to make a full rotation of the steering wheel in .10 seconds.

Now I know, as soon as I post this, quite a few people will chime in that an RC car is a lot different than a full scale car and they will be correct. Other people will say they tried a servo with .15 seconds transit time and the car would not work. Maybe they are correct or maybe it's the placebo effect. I guess to each their own. I'll stick with .10 seconds as my goal for a servo. What is more important to me is smoothness and center consistency and that's where Futaba shines.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
People get used to running whatever speed servo is in their car. Just watch someone who is used to running a slow servo borrow someone's car with a fast servo - lots of turning in too early.

I've also seen the opposite. Inexperienced people running too fast of a servo with a radio without any servo speed or expo adjustments. Their car always looks out of control as they struggle to catch up to how fast their car reacts.

Like many threads like this, there will be plenty of responses from people with a favorite brand. Please make sure to include what the application you are using your servo (car/class/transmitter) to keep the response in context.
Excellent post (as usual!). Reminds me of my old autocross days back in the 80's. I was running a 74 914 and a good friend had a 74 Corvette. We swapped cars during some fun runs and we rode along to see how we did. I was turning in way too late in the Corvette, just kept missing the apexes. When we hoped in my 914, my friend hit almost every inside cone. He just wasn't used to something that turned in quickly.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer

I think this brings up a really good point for some of us more novice people. If we want to slow down the servo say from .07 to .10 is it more effect to adjust the dual rate on the controller, or the speed from the controller? I have been using a 3pl and am upgrading to a 4PLS which states in it's features dual rate on the channels or the actual steering/throttle speed. Right now the 3PLS I use only has steering dual rate. I have always wondered if I have misinterpreted these things.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by djgrom
I think this brings up a really good point for some of us more novice people. If we want to slow down the servo say from .07 to .10 is it more effect to adjust the dual rate on the controller, or the speed from the controller? I have been using a 3pl and am upgrading to a 4PLS which states in it's features dual rate on the channels or the actual steering/throttle speed. Right now the 3PLS I use only has steering dual rate. I have always wondered if I have misinterpreted these things.
Dual rate doesn't affect speed, it reduces total travel (basically EPA, but applied to left and right simultaneously).
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Dual rate doesn't affect speed, it reduces total travel (basically EPA, but applied to left and right simultaneously).
Perfect, thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.