Wiki Posts
Search

I need help picking a engine for my buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by gofast072
thanks for the quick reply, im thinking the b5 ive heard that the jammin engine doesnt have to great runtime, i need at least 8.5mins runtime.
its not that bad. with the right pipe u can easily get 8.5min. a guy that races at my local track said he was getting real close to 10
Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

n21bf limited has the 8 port crankcase that seems to divert the fuel flow better and make more overall horsepower .

got a couple left if you want one 145$ , 40$ for "houston tuned" ,add a dynamite 086hs pipeset for another 55-58$ and all that for under 250$

great deal on a novarossi quality engine
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I vote for the B5 it is a great race quality engine that will outlast many others with power and runtime to spare.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
Novarossi N21R. Powerhouse is selling them for $135 shipped and modding them for an extra $50. I was dead set on getting a werks b5 until I found that deal.

what kind of runtime does this engine get on average in a buggy. Is it standard plug or turbo.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for all the replies i still havent decided right now im leaning towards the werks b5 but im wanting some more info on the novarossi n21r and the rb killer 9 im really wanting some info on it ive had 3 different rb engines and loved them all the only reason i wondering about this one is because the price is way cheaper then the other rb engines that ive had,
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gofast072
thanks for all the replies i still havent decided right now im leaning towards the werks b5 but im wanting some more info on the novarossi n21r and the rb killer 9 im really wanting some info on it ive had 3 different rb engines and loved them all the only reason i wondering about this one is because the price is way cheaper then the other rb engines that ive had,
I believe the Killer 9 is made in Taiwan rather than in the normal factory in France. Not always bad, but I'd wait a little longer.

I personally run a modded Novarossi BF (Hotmods, but I think Mr. Houston learned at the side of Mr. Hottinger... probably similar mods.)

I'm right at the 10 minute tank range in my truggy. Temps run a little high with the stock cooling head... I put on a C6 cooling head that I had sitting around and it helped a lot. Note that the new version has a different head... if it is bigger than the old BF head that would be just the ticket!

Power is just a HAIR less than I really want in the truck... but in a buggy it would be an awesome engine, especially on a short indoor track.

I've had it to 300 degrees (OUCH!) due to a fuel tank problem... almost 2 gallons on it and I still can't turn it over by hand in the chassis.

On the other hand, you can get the Werks B5 or the Alpha for about what a modded BF will cost... both are great engines, probably a bit more power...

Also note that Novarossi engines (and particularly this modded BF) is pretty finicky on tune. It isn't as easy to tune as say, a VSPEC. (Current results tell me that it's going to live longer though... for half the price...) Would I buy another one for the truck? Maybe not... like I said, not quite enough power for a truggy. It has enough "grunt" to make all the jumps (including the more difficult ones at the RC Pro Finals) but it didn't feel quite as snappy as I wanted, and lacked just a touch on the top end. That could be my pipe selection though... I'm running it with a Dynamite 053 with a "square" header... I might play with pipe selection and see if I can wake it up just a bit more. Also, like I said, I still can't turn it over by hand in the chassis, so I'm not sure I'd consider it to be fully broken in yet...

And the Jammin JPX .21 is a great engine too.

NONE of the ones you listed would be a bad choice.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i get about 10 min. nova bf21 limted in myrc8b and around 12 if the track is hooking good
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Monty's "Houston Tuned" 3 port is a FAST engine........anything from Monty is FAST.......some have even been TOO FAST(my Houston Tuned 21-7 BT was a freaking missile and Im not joking)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

if your still lokking for a new motor in buggy or truggy then get an alpha. they will cost you just over two hundred dollars. time on a tank wise, i get 1045 in my truggy using the z852 w/ turbo button (green head).

availible at trackstarrc.com. (socal)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackstarlosi
if your still lokking for a new motor in buggy or truggy then get an alpha. they will cost you just over two hundred dollars. time on a tank wise, i get 1045 in my truggy using the z852 w/ turbo button (green head).

availible at trackstarrc.com. (socal)
The Alpha engines are available direct from RC Pro Products too. $199 for the F850, $209 for the Z852 or S852. (the F850 is supposed to be very much like a VSPEC in performance.) www.rcproproducts.com

I have an S852 (has more low end, good for truggy) on the way.

And like I said, that little Novarossi might be ok if you aren't a throttle monkey looking to be the fastest down the straight. It isn't quite enough for a truggy... but in a buggy on a tight indoor track it is probably good... good quality, budget price, not as much power as the "big boy engines" but nice for what it is.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I will be running the B5 for 2010 everone i seen run ran great with good gas milage for the power and performance you cant beat it.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

I suggest the B5 also. It just works and has great power. Both my werks motors will idle perfectly and almost never flame out. (Some of my kamikaze attempts on the big jumps can kill the motor once in a while.)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I use the novarossi plus 4c with the 9901/41021 exaust setup total: about $400
but if u r looking to spend less the Alpha plus engines r great
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Houston tuned bf...

Novarossi is the best.....