Wiki Posts
Search

Best servos for 8th scale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

JR DS8711 servo for Truggy

Hitec 5995TG servo for Buggy

I think DS8711 is the best servo in term of price and torque power. It's the most expensive & powerful compare to other servos.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last edited by Integra; 03-25-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
LOL, internet problems or what?

throttle servo doesnt need to be anything special, you can use cheaper ones for throttle/break. personally I use the spektrum z590 for throttle.

I used that servo on my first 1/8 buggy too. Do yourself a favor and get a fast servo for your throttle. You'll be amazed at the difference. You'll have instant brake response. IMO a really good servo is more important on throttle/brake than it is on steering (still need 120oz+ for steering).
Old 05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Lord

X2 Davidka....but imo 2 High end servos are Required for the feel....I could NEVER EVER go back to a Slow Analoge servo...it would throw out my game for sure.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Lord

I agree, I still think the speed is more of an advantage on the throttle/brake though I use good stuff on both. I have been using an older Airtronics 258 for throttle and a Hitec 5945 (excellent steering servo) on steering. I want to try a digi on throttle. I used to hear that they could be cooked more easily on throttle/brake but I hear that less and less.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blu_dude
Why go with something with at least 200oz @ 6v? I'm new to this, so I'm just curious. What will less torque cause?
Just in case, so you know for sure its strong enough to turn the wheels. you dont want a weak, girly, servo for steeing that cant even turn the wheels and has problems centering.

Originally Posted by Furadi
Depends on what your talking about, buggy or truggy. For a truggy sure go for a 200+ oz steering servo. For a buggy anything above 130 oz is fine.

Most everyone here will tell you to spend $100 on a steering servo for a buggy but its a waste. There is no logical reason to have that much torque in a 7lbish buggy with skinny wheels. I did a back to back to back comparison with a jr9000t and my hitec 5625, and there was no difference in performance.
I dunno, Ive had junk servos and medium servos in steering, and you do need a fair amount. I just like to have a little extra, and I wasnt 100% sure when I said "at least 200 oz" that was kind of a random number guess.

Im always having minor steering problems, it either goes more to the left than it does to the right, or it REALLY wants to pull to the left, or it doesnt center properly when coming out of a left turn, but centers when youre coming out of a right.

steering servo is definately something you dont want to cheap out on, ive learned this the hard way.. two or three times already

Originally Posted by Davidka
I used that servo on my first 1/8 buggy too. Do yourself a favor and get a fast servo for your throttle. You'll be amazed at the difference. You'll have instant brake response. IMO a really good servo is more important on throttle/brake than it is on steering (still need 120oz+ for steering).
Ive been thinking about it, the 590 is good for about a gallon of gas then it starts to show its true colors.. that its a POS like its little brother (270)

for throttle, I know its not important to have a lot of OZs as you probably only need about 50oz for throttle, but I imagine you want a really really fast response time, something like .05 seconds or something?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

An ideal thottle/brake servo is something like a Futaba 9451 or a JR 9000s. You want fast but also 100+oz of torque for braking power. A new, clean brakeset doesn't require much power but any fuel on the disks or just dust and you'll lose alot. A more powerful servo can allow you to bump the EPA a couple of spots and get your stopping power back.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

An ideal thottle/brake servo is something like a Futaba 9451 or a JR 9000s. You want fast but also 100+oz of torque for braking power. A new, clean brakeset doesn't require much power but any fuel on the disks or just dust and you'll lose alot. A more powerful servo can allow you to bump the EPA a couple of spots and get your stopping power back.
I run my brakes on 50% and they still almost lock up. If they were 60% they would lock up for sure.

I done understand how you guys all get fuel on your disks... do you fill your gas tank with a fire hose or what? lol.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drakuli
hitec really?

i bought a HS 5625MG and HS 5645MG on wednesday. My intention was to use the 5625 as throttle and 5645 for steering.

Last night i put them on my buggy and test it. And guess what, the throttle one was okay but the steering could not center and can only turn to one way. I brought it to the shop just now and they said I have abused it. So no replacement but only repair and it takes one week. What the $%#@ ???

There is no way I will buy hitec again, ever.
HITEC HAS GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND SERVICE AND WILL REPLACE YOUR SERVO IN 7 DAYS AT MOST! every once in a while a servo that has a problem gets out of the factory when you sell like a million of them . my pic for servos has been 5998tg servos for a few years now , not one problem !!! HITEC is the best .
Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have used the KO Propos, JR, Hitech and Ace.

Hitech-The Hitech I had didnt center well at all. My buddy had excactly the same problem.

Ko Propo- I used them for awhile and they are good. They feel very good and I felt connected to the car with them. 3 out of the 4 Ive had lasted very long. I did send one in for service and KO service sucks. For that reason I wont use them anymore.

ACE/ Associated- I just bought 2 associated for a new buggy. They seem pretty good so far. They feel very strong torque wise but I preffer a little more speed. For 90 bucks I think they are good.

JR- I have used the 8711's and the 9100s. The 8711's are basically the same as 9100T's and work well in truggies. I like the 9100s for buggy, at .06 they are among the fastest. JR customer service is the best, send the servo in and they send me a new one.

In conclusion I preffer the JR 9100s for buggy but the ace's come in a close second. If your on a budget the aces would probably be best.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Specs mean Nothing when it comes to the Tq and speed.....imo the Ace makes the 9000S at .06 look slow...especially on a 3pk on HRS....so quoting specs will only get u soo far...ive driven Futaba, Ace, JR, Hitec...but never KO.....imo Ace is the king of the hill.
Thats just silly. Specs are very important. If your 9000s feels slower than the ace theres something wrong with it or your steering is binding. I have both and the the JR is way faster.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Buggy
Steering - Ace 1015
TH./Br. - Jr 9100s
LiPo
=
DIALED!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
I run my brakes on 50% and they still almost lock up. If they were 60% they would lock up for sure.

I done understand how you guys all get fuel on your disks... do you fill your gas tank with a fire hose or what? lol.
You've got great brakes then. The 50% or 60% number is arbitrary as it is a value of throw, not torque, force or power. If you're servo was weak you would hit a point of diminishing return where as you added throw you would not get more stopping power.

As for the second question, I ask my pit guy all the time. He doesn't know either.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by infanterene
Thats just silly. Specs are very important. If your 9000s feels slower than the ace theres something wrong with it or your steering is binding. I have both and the the JR is way faster.

No comment.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

You've got great brakes then. The 50% or 60% number is arbitrary as it is a value of throw, not torque, force or power. If you're servo was weak you would hit a point of diminishing return where as you added throw you would not get more stopping power.

As for the second question, I ask my pit guy all the time. He doesn't know either.
I just find it locks up too easy, this when way I brake it barely barely moves the throttle servo, maybe 1 "hour" or like 15 degrees, and the brakes are full force.

and yeah, the fuel on the brakes is weird, I hear it a lot but have never had it happen to me... not even close.