Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yeah, now there two of you...lol! If you need to run a 40mm (1.55") rear tires to make your car good you have something wacky elsewhere in your setup.
Three.

The OTHER thing to consider is that many of us race on non-permanent tracks. The problem there is (and even on some permanenet tracks, or outdoors, or...) is that you can't always run down at 3mm ride height. My car from the just-completed Regionals has 42.5(+)mm Prism tires w/ the IRS 3.5mm ride height spacers and it started it's main right at 3.5mm ride height at the chassis plate. IF I eliminate sag I'll gain the half milimeter and could stay legal down to about 40.5mm tire IF running 3mm ride height were a good idea here. As it is the track for Regionals was about as smooth as we get (upstairs on the basketball court, carpet allowed to "relax" overnight before taping down, etc). When we're back downstairs rolling out tracks on race day I generally can't allow the height to go below 3.5mm and usually have to watch closely if I'm getting below 3.75mm.

If the spacers were dropped 1mm on the plate it would give me the full 3.5mm ride height adjustment available from the spacers for tire sizes from 48mm down to 41mm w/ sag allowed for assuming a 3mm ride height. Dropping them 1.5 mm would allow us to maintain 3.5mm ride height with the above parameters in place.

A bit more height adjustment (down) would be appreciated and my opinion is there's plenty of room available in the plates to do so. I'd be willing to give up a little strength to do so--maybe make them available (and a more milled-out chassis plate?) as accessory items "buy at your own risk".
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
AHA!!!! I mentioned the same thing to Adrian who poo-poo'd the idea. "who wants to run tires that small"? was his reply.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.
I had the same issue with someone in the 12th scale forum along with the new prisms would not last me long enough to get the runs I need out of a set of tires like with the old legend rim and tire combo.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
I had the same issue with someone in the 12th scale forum along with the new prisms would not last me long enough to get the runs I need out of a set of tires like with the old legend rim and tire combo.
Yes, and your point is STILL incorrect--you've allowed yourself to be psyched-out by the SEEMINGLY less useable rubber. As is being pointed out the last few threads, any rubber between 38mm and 41mm is wasted on most chassis, so it doesn't matter if that "space" is filled with rubber (tire) or plastic (wheel). In fact most would argue we're better off with much of that space filled with plastic and enjoy the performance benefits of "low profile" sidewalls. And, as pointed out before, running tires at a larger than 48mm dia new is to practice false economy (chunk one, there goes your savings) on top of the performance disadvantage of tires that large.

One of the big limiters to how small can we practically run tires is the move to 2.5mm (or more in some cases) chassis plates. That half-millimeter comes straight out of ride height. We gain stiffness/precision but it comes at a cost. If we can reasonably move the height adjusters down on the sideplates we get that back. If it isn't feasible, ah well.

I maintain that tires have never been cheaper to run. Realistically the same useful life on all but a very few chassis (that can run tires to 40mm and below) and less than 2/3 the price with current street prices. We've won.

I'd just like to get a couple more runs in on my sub-44mm tires and as we're seeing that's a chassis/sidepod limitation, not a limitation of the tires themselves.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
Jason - Sorry to hijack your thread...your car looks great. There is a local racer who has a new kit but hasn't ran it yet. I can't wait to see how it works on asphalt.

Paul

Last edited by P2; 03-18-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Too much drama
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

protc - Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

P2 - If I want to look like an IDIOT with my foot in my mouth that is my perogative not yours to point that out. I am sure their are others who will kindly do that in a more civil manner. Thank very much.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not to worry guys, i will make the change to the pods in this coming run this week.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

hey guys,

More info on the SE car. I will be making 20 cars with the new color and fancy trim. They will be engraved with there own number as to when they came off the machine. We have a pre order list building up and i really apologize that i cant do this for all of the cars. I just want to have them be special edition with no compromises. I will make 20 and only 20. If you would like one please send me an email to [email protected] with your contact info and preorder. We will contact you for payment when they are ready. The car will cost a little more due to the extra work going into them. They will be eye candy and a great collectors piece. The car design is the same.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Not to worry guys, i will make the change to the pods in this coming run this week.
Will it change the position of the motor any? Or are you just machining the ovals lower?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Jason,
Since it seems lately that laying the servo flat is the way to go. Do you or will you produce a servo mount just for mounting the servo flat w/o the option of having it angled? If yes, I'd like one.

Also, how are the front springs coming? I'm waiting to make an order based on the springs, but if it going to be longer than a 1 week out I'll send my order through now.

Thanks,
E
Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricF
Jason,
Since it seems lately that laying the servo flat is the way to go. Do you or will you produce a servo mount just for mounting the servo flat w/o the option of having it angled? If yes, I'd like one.

Also, how are the front springs coming? I'm waiting to make an order based on the springs, but if it going to be longer than a 1 week out I'll send my order through now.

Thanks,
E
the current mounts allow for mounting the servo flat. just flip it around
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Hey guys,

I just looked at our pods and they are the same axle height as the IRS lowered pod plates. This seems to be the standard in the industry and i am concerned with going lower because it will make it so i cant use these pod plates on the 1/10th car. I will keep seeing what my options are but i am getting a little concerned not being able to use them on the DB10R. If you can let me know which cars are using pod plates lower than mine or IRS i would appreciate it. I want to see if they are able to use there plates on a 1/10th car.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jason- The Jari car, the FF-07, rear cutouts in the pod are 4mm lower than yours are... It would be my request also to have some rear pod plates with lower mounts, I and many others just want to use up tires more than we can with the car like it is, for just club racing at our local track, it would be nice to be able to use up tires a little more... Would it be that big a deal to have a different program for the 12th pods, versus the 10th pods, I am just guessing but I bet the 10th guys would like just a hair more gear room also, move the axle back just a hair...
For everyone.. The Associated #4 axle holders are a good amount lower than the lowest IRS holders, the 3.5 set, i believe they are at least .5mm lower, if not more, gives you that much more ride height to play with...Part # 4351
Old 03-18-2008, 02:12 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jason,

I don't own a Cyclone 12 anymore but I believe it's rear pod was around 1.5-2mm lower than a IRS lowered pod.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Jason- The Jari car, the FF-07, rear cutouts in the pod are 4mm lower than yours are... It would be my request also to have some rear pod plates with lower mounts, I and many others just want to use up tires more than we can with the car like it is, for just club racing at our local track, it would be nice to be able to use up tires a little more... Would it be that big a deal to have a different program for the 12th pods, versus the 10th pods, I am just guessing but I bet the 10th guys would like just a hair more gear room also, move the axle back just a hair...
For everyone.. The Associated #4 axle holders are a good amount lower than the lowest IRS holders, the 3.5 set, i believe they are at least .5mm lower, if not more, gives you that much more ride height to play with...Part # 4351
If i go to 1/10th pod plates instead of using my existing ones it will increase the overall price for the 1/10th car. For 1/10th pan car, everyone uses IRS pods and the standard in pod plates seem to be IRS height. How about CRC and Speedmerchant? Are they running pods like us and IRS? I know they are using there 1/12th pods on there 1/10th cars also.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by protc3
hey guys,

More info on the SE car. I will be making 20 cars with the new color and fancy trim. They will be engraved with there own number as to when they came off the machine. We have a pre order list building up and i really apologize that i cant do this for all of the cars. I just want to have them be special edition with no compromises. I will make 20 and only 20. If you would like one please send me an email to [email protected] with your contact info and preorder. We will contact you for payment when they are ready. The car will cost a little more due to the extra work going into them. They will be eye candy and a great collectors piece. The car design is the same.
sounds awesome, how much will it be, and do you have any pictures?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.