Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA05 IFS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Looks like to me you have the wrong type of suspension mount in the front of the rear. Looks like a rear mount that's been flipped over.

Should look like this: (these are the front ends rear mount and the rear ends front mount)

Where as it looks like you have a normal one flipped over since I don't see the lettering on top. (These are the front ends front mount and the rear ends rear mount.
I'll take a closer look. It's possible I confused the parts. However, I would think the wrong part would cause the problem on both sides of the rear, and not only one side.

Here's the instruction from the manual. I believe I have it right.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 IFS-instruction-manual-b6.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I never check droop anymore with a guage. I always check it with wheels on and on a super flat setup board. I don't need to know the exact # on a guage. I lift the car and make the suspension droop until the wheels lift off the board. This is the amount of droop the suspension has. I as a rule of thumb run about 1.5mm droop in the front and about 4-5mm in the rear for rubber tire. First make sure its even (perfect) side to side...then adjust more or less as needed for the desired effect. You'll never get the droop perfect using a guage on a TA05 chassis...they are not flat no matter what anyone says. Try this method and I'll bet you get much better results.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I'll take a closer look. It's possible I confused the parts. However, I would think the wrong part would cause the problem on both sides of the rear, and not only one side.

Here's the instruction from the manual. I believe I have it right.
Larry I was thinking it was upside down and resting on the curved surfaces, which might not allow it to lay evenly.

However, I was going based on my non IFS 'R'. It seems the rear of the IFS is also slightly different. So forget what I was saying.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I was thinking it was upside down and resting on the curved surfaces, which might not allow it to lay evenly.

However, I was going based on my non IFS 'R'. It seems the rear of the IFS is also slightly different. So forget what I was saying.
No problem. At this point I'm open to any suggestions.

I'll try the suggestion of Core Creation. Hopefully, the required rear droop doesn't exceed the limited travel of the rear arm on the battery side.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I never check droop anymore with a guage. I always check it with wheels on and on a super flat setup board. I don't need to know the exact # on a guage. I lift the car and make the suspension droop until the wheels lift off the board. This is the amount of droop the suspension has. I as a rule of thumb run about 1.5mm droop in the front and about 4-5mm in the rear for rubber tire. First make sure its even (perfect) side to side...then adjust more or less as needed for the desired effect. You'll never get the droop perfect using a guage on a TA05 chassis...they are not flat no matter what anyone says. Try this method and I'll bet you get much better results.
I second this. I can usually get a more accurate reading using this method.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

I was going to get the TA05 for drifting, but it looks like this may be my main Touring car this session. How is the steering on it?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I was going to get the TA05 for drifting, but it looks like this may be my main Touring car this session. How is the steering on it?
The standard TA05, with the out of the box set, can just about turn on its axis! LOL It has that much steering.

The IFS-R has a little less steering out of the box. But still never lacks for steering.

Not sure about the standard IFS, I've never owned one.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Figured out my problem... I mean my car's problem.

I used the wrong spacers under the forward rear suspension hinge pin
mount. I don't even want to discuss how long it took me to figure that one out.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

What's the largest Spur Gear that can be used on the TA05 IFS? 64p.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

I should be getting my TA05 IFS tomarrow. And seeing how the shocks are layed down so low. I was wondering if there were still mounting holes to adjust the shocks? Or dose it remove the need to do that?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I should be getting my TA05 IFS tomarrow. And seeing how the shocks are layed down so low. I was wondering if there were still mounting holes to adjust the shocks? Or dose it remove the need to do that?
The same result is achieved by placing spacers under the ball studs on the rockers. It's explained in the manual.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
The same result is achieved by placing spacers under the ball studs on the rockers. It's explained in the manual.
I did add spacers on my shocks and it makes my car flow better on turns, it's called placebo effect.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whats the part numbers for making up a spool for the front?

Also, might stick mine back to upright shocks, it is less of a fiddle, only got the IFS-R for the 416 suspension and pulleys really.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cheehtae
I did add spacers on my shocks and it makes my car flow better on turns, it's called placebo effect.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Search and ye shall find...

Originally Posted by reenmachine
53877 (TA-05 spool) but you can use neither the pulley that comes with it nor the stock IFS-R one. You need the 54023 DB-01 37T front one-way pulley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.