Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by swarb
^I believe it comes with bearings.
Get aluminum spur gear mount, metal diff nut, aluminum diff joints/outdrives, maybe the reinforced internal gears and maybe the trf shocks

Universals too, some say dog bones work ok though.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebcategory.asp?id=893
those options are quite important upgrades to get the car to hold up well, but you dont have to buy the universals direct, the dogbones works quite well.

and later on you might want to replace the std plastic arm mounts with alu ones, but that can wait until the std ones develop some sloop
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the price delta versus hopups, I'd just get the Pro version and find a body and tire combo that works for your track. The shocks, universals, and turnbuckles alone are exceptional upgrades that come with the Pro.

I agree with what others have said about additional bearings for components like steering and rocker arm assemblies.

Although the aluminum spur mount is a nice to have, you can get by with the stock plastic one, just use 4 screws instead of 2 But yeah, the aluminum one is nice.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Set up sheets are now posted on our site.

(Scroll down to find the FF03)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Got a roller for sale if anyone's looking for one:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post9364255

Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Soon or later it should happen....
And is happened today. I got my FF03.
In 1994-6, with the FF01, I got some nice seasons, was just matter of time...

At first the idea was to give ther the same Civic VTi I had on the FF01, but I was thinking to go more actual.

Anything that could resemble the actual WTC cars? http://www.fiawtcc.com/Gallery.asp

Any Cruze, or Leon, Volvo C30 available?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Initiate

that would be cool if Tamiya or other brands release some WTCC shells probably this kit will sure make some good sales and more events
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rtypec
For the price delta versus hopups, I'd just get the Pro version and find a body and tire combo that works for your track. The shocks, universals, and turnbuckles alone are exceptional upgrades that come with the Pro.

I agree with what others have said about additional bearings for components like steering and rocker arm assemblies.

Although the aluminum spur mount is a nice to have, you can get by with the stock plastic one, just use 4 screws instead of 2 But yeah, the aluminum one is nice.
Pro does not come with universals!

Only TRF shocks, blue ali turnbuckles, blue ali servo horn and HT servo saver and blue ali ball links. All you really need is the TRF shocks...everything else is just bling or weight saving if you really need to save the weight (I needed to add lots of weight to mine but that depends on the rules you run!).

Standard kit is the best value for money as you just need to add the TRF's and then you can add the rest as you go along.

Ali spur gear mount is not just a nice to have as it increases the spur to pinion precision. Plastic one has some slop! The amount of screws that attach the spur to the mount are irrelevant.

No need to upgrade to ali steering and rocker arms.....just get the newely released carbon reinforced parts and add the 850 bearings and it will be just as good. Some shims will also help a little too
Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

is there a way to get the transmission to hold up better when using mod motors? have been driving with a 13.5, hobbywing esc with turbo and boost almost full, would like to test a hotter motor, 8.5t just to get some more speed out of the corners, and dont have to go nuts on turbo and boost to get things moving..

the balldiff is just slipping to much, spec r diff is rated for using 11.5 motors without turbo..

or is the car useless is using other than stock motors?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bappe
is there a way to get the transmission to hold up better when using mod motors? have been driving with a 13.5, hobbywing esc with turbo and boost almost full, would like to test a hotter motor, 8.5t just to get some more speed out of the corners, and dont have to go nuts on turbo and boost to get things moving..

the balldiff is just slipping to much, spec r diff is rated for using 11.5 motors without turbo..

or is the car useless is using other than stock motors?
You would want the turbo but not so much the boost, and definately not a hotter motor.
These FWD cars suffer from traction problems under power, and the more power you have the more you will wheelspin.
Back in the FF01 days, and when the BRCA ran 27T Stock FWD as a championship, I was almost untouchable, and my trick back then was to run a thin shim in the front diff for a little diff slip, and to run Tamiya F1 springs inside the rear shock to lift a rear wheel in corners. Not had time to test this in the FF03 yet as my time is spent on other classes.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr lee
Only TRF shocks, blue ali turnbuckles, blue ali servo horn and HT servo saver and blue ali ball links. All you really need is the TRF shocks...everything else is just bling or weight saving if you really need to save the weight (I needed to add lots of weight to mine but that depends on the rules you run!).

Standard kit is the best value for money as you just need to add the TRF's and then you can add the rest as you go along.

The Pro Kit is approximately $195-$210 with the standard kit approximately $180-$195 ish. TRF shocks alone are about $50. The rest is gravy.

Ali spur gear mount is not just a nice to have as it increases the spur to pinion precision. Plastic one has some slop! The amount of screws that attach the spur to the mount are irrelevant.
Have you tried four screws yet? I ran it for a couple of months BEFORE the aluminum mount was available. Stripped spur gear count = 0 Again, nice to have but for the price, might as well buy it.

No need to upgrade to ali steering and rocker arms.....just get the newely released carbon reinforced parts and add the 850 bearings and it will be just as good. Some shims will also help a little too
That'll work well.

Keep in mind, the person I was trying to help wasn't looking to spend much in upgrades at the moment.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

You could use the plastic spurmount when you use some tape. Then the spur mount will sit very tightly and you don't have any slop. I've done that and i never stript any spur gears.
So the alu one isn't a must have item.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Giorgio
Soon or later it should happen....
Any Cruze, or Leon, Volvo C30 available?
I can't help with 190mm, but there is a C30 available for the Tamiya Mini-sized cars, and a Cruze for 1/5th On-Road.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you Academygaz.

I believe I'll go my my "old" Civic..... like the old days....
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Non pro kits should have included an ESC, the current street price is kind of high. I recall the old FF01 was around $130 and FF02 was cheaper because it didn't have real shocks which was around $110 similar to M03 & M04 pricing.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Random rant about street prices. I went to my lhs to pick up some "consumable" products. Two cans of paint, tire glue, and a can of motorspray...total cost with tax, $29 something none of which will contribute to making my car faster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.