Search
Like Tree15Likes

HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
Damn!! I wish they had this out when I had my WR8 ;-) That is sweet looking! Price isn't too bad either.

http://www.exotekracing.com/wr8-spee...-hpi-wr8-flux/
so you sold all your WR8!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Same results here- great motor (stupid fast) but poor stock esc. Have a new one installed and some new heavy big bore springs to try

I was just looking at my WR8. It needs some chassis love like this!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fkmliu
so you sold all your WR8!
Yeah unfortunately. At the time I was really disappointed with HPI's R&D, marketing and distribution. They had awesome bodies (GRC Subaru) but never released them in the states. That and the aftermarket was slow as heck in producing anything worthy of being called an upgrade for the chassis. So I just got fed up with it.

Shoot, at the time to get a set of resonantly priced alloy caster blocks I had to order them from China...

Looks like the aftermarket has caught up but HPI is still disappointing me.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
I was just looking at my WR8. It needs some chassis love like this!
Yeah man. Honestly that is an awesome chassis. It is almost tempting me into picking up another WR8... lol
Old 01-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 365 (100%+)

Picked up another wr8. Sold mine a couple years ago and regretted it since. Digging the exotek chassis!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, I just ordered a wr8 flux for 300$ with a new body off ebay. I currently have a hpi rs4 sport 3 flux and I love it for my on road race car, but was missing the offroad stuff. I always wanted a rally car and out of all of them this one was my favorite. I have a few questions tho since theres not a lot of support for this car unlike traxxas ones.

Im gonna be running 3s and read somewhere that the stock pinion sucks? Is it necessary to upgrade to the 19t pinion without overheating? Also the one I got comes with Integy shocks which look cool but im worried theyre trash since for every other car they seem to bend and leak. Does anyone have any experience with them? Other then that I plan to get the integy aluminum kit, along with offroad tires and tbone skid plates.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boostedk20
Hi guys, I just ordered a wr8 flux for 300$ with a new body off ebay. I currently have a hpi rs4 sport 3 flux and I love it for my on road race car, but was missing the offroad stuff. I always wanted a rally car and out of all of them this one was my favorite. I have a few questions tho since theres not a lot of support for this car unlike traxxas ones.

Im gonna be running 3s and read somewhere that the stock pinion sucks? Is it necessary to upgrade to the 19t pinion without overheating? Also the one I got comes with Integy shocks which look cool but im worried theyre trash since for every other car they seem to bend and leak. Does anyone have any experience with them? Other then that I plan to get the integy aluminum kit, along with offroad tires and tbone skid plates.
Congrats your going to enjoy this car. No overheating experiences with the stock pinion on 3s. I've only added a second castle motor fan and installed the stock shock spacers to firm the ride up a bit. The white Proline shocks I might upgraded but to be honest I really enjoy the stock setup on 3S. The body's are not cheap... I purchased a few extra bodies for display and run the digital zebra with turbo fans wheels.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is a chassis I have been thinking about getting as well. Sizing is weird, it appears to be a 1/9th scale like the super nitro / elec RS4 right? I see how those bodies fit, which is cool. But wheel diameter appears to be 2.2" or 1/10 size? Is that because the side wall is taller?

Also are any clear hpi bodies sold for this thing, or are they all sold as printed?

I really like that Exotek chassis. That significantly improves the look of this thing. I've got an Exo 6 and really have been impressed with the quality of the conversion.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theVetteman3
This is a chassis I have been thinking about getting as well. Sizing is weird, it appears to be a 1/9th scale like the super nitro / elec RS4 right? I see how those bodies fit, which is cool. But wheel diameter appears to be 2.2" or 1/10 size? Is that because the side wall is taller?

Also are any clear hpi bodies sold for this thing, or are they all sold as printed?

I really like that Exotek chassis. That significantly improves the look of this thing. I've got an Exo 6 and really have been impressed with the quality of the conversion.
Hpi did have a clear body. But haven't seen one listed in about 2 years. Under the old Hpi they could not sell the body alone. Have to wait to see if that changed under the new owners.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

Gotcha, thanks man. This might be an interesting chassis to set up a 300mm C5-R body. I might have missed it, is there wheelbase adjustment on this chassis?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

I just picked up one of these cars, it's a blast to drive and surprisingly capable.
I don't see an adjustment for wheelbase.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gozz had a really good on road setup with his WR8. The stock front shock tower might limit what alternative shells you can run. I'm doing a on road WR8 with a Ford SVT Lighting body.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Y8Duster
I just picked up one of these cars, it's a blast to drive and surprisingly capable.
Good to read that people are still showing interest in this vehicle.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Y8Duster
Cool thanks man.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
Gozz had a really good on road setup with his WR8. The stock front shock tower might limit what alternative shells you can run. I'm doing a on road WR8 with a Ford SVT Lighting body.
I think that would look great! BTW- "Cudacharger" what are the chances of finding another Mopar guy here with a WR8? LOL
Question for you guys, the WR8 I picked up was used, about three years old, and there seems to be some excess slop in the outer hinge pins and king pins. I]ve taken the pins out and inspected the parts. They don't look worn very much. The hob bearings also fit pretty loosely on the axles causing some more slop. The car is really in great shape otherwise. Were these cars that way when they were new?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.