Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Paul, how do I beat this Kody guy in Mod TC?
Originally Posted by Paul L
Defeating the KungFoo panda is no easy task, ancient Chinese secret
I thought that'd be a fun quote.

Anyway, I noticed on yours and Drew's setups from nats that you both ran soft springs, laid down a hole, with soft front swaybars and thin oil. You also had your camber links lower than is typical for carpet. Why is that?

-Mike
Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
Hi Paul,

When you're driving where are you eyes looking? Are they fixed to the front of the car? Are you always looking ahead of the car a few feet or staring at the corner while you're watching the car drive thru it using your peripheral vision.

Thanks!
Hi!, i think i pretty much look at the nose of the car. Something i have never really thought about.

Originally Posted by jasons56
Thanks again Paul for the tuning help at the Nats! Your sponsors could not have a better rep. That was an unbelievable show of driving talent as well.

My son is definitely a new fan. I'm glad he has a good role model. Get some more Gravity Products out there so we can show some appreciation that way as well!

Augie and I look forward to racing with you again. We sure wish Colorado was possible for us. Sounds like a blast!
Was Fun! thanks for the support. It was cool to see how much better he got threw the weekend. He adapted to the Way different conditions and by the end was cutting lines!

See you guys soon!

Originally Posted by jasons56
Speaking of which, what Gravity tire combo would be most like a Magenta Front/Blue rear?

Thanks!
Kinda hard to say but I would try super soft rear and soft front for starters.

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I thought that'd be a fun quote.

Anyway, I noticed on yours and Drew's setups from nats that you both ran soft springs, laid down a hole, with soft front swaybars and thin oil. You also had your camber links lower than is typical for carpet. Why is that?

-Mike
LOL, Nice, i must have forgot the secret .

Hi. The soft front sway bar just made the car easier to drive. The camberlinks were similar to how i normally run, i did lower them with the roll centers to keep the similar camber gain. The 2.3 springs and soft oil i have been using for a long time now.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Haha Mike, bringing the past back to haunt Paulie.

Im curious, what changes did you make specifically to suit the Sweep tires from your usual setup? I cant drive on them at all, Jacos are night and day difference for me.

And did you really run 116/18 gearing at carpet nats? or did you mean 28?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

I was running Gravity Med front and Gravity Soft rear on CRC carpet using JTG compound. The carpet traction level is low-medium, but the rear end was too locked in. Now, I'm currently running 21.5 2 cell lipo and I'm trying to find a good tire combo to work on carpet using your tires.

However, this tire setup works great for treated outdoor asphalt.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Haha Mike, bringing the past back to haunt Paulie.

Im curious, what changes did you make specifically to suit the Sweep tires from your usual setup? I cant drive on them at all, Jacos are night and day difference for me.

And did you really run 116/18 gearing at carpet nats? or did you mean 28?
Hi. I didn't change much really. I just tune the car as normal for any track and tire. if i need nore steering, rear grip forward bite etc i have adjustments that i would do on any tire i suppose. If you can explain what the car is doing maybe i could help more. I must have forgot to even do the gearing. I used 114/26, couldn't be farther off, sorry, lol.

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I was running Gravity Med front and Gravity Soft rear on CRC carpet using JTG compound. The carpet traction level is low-medium, but the rear end was too locked in. Now, I'm currently running 21.5 2 cell lipo and I'm trying to find a good tire combo to work on carpet using your tires.

However, this tire setup works great for treated outdoor asphalt.
Hi. If the rear is too locked in i would try to go to the super soft rear and also make some chassis adjustments to give more steering. Maybe stiffer side spring and damper tube, or more cambergain in the front end. In general my tires will be more stable than a yellow or grey rear so you will have to make adjustments to get the rotation to keep the corner speed. if tuned right i think more grip could be better.

Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE

Hi. If the rear is too locked in i would try to go to the super soft rear and also make some chassis adjustments to give more steering. Maybe stiffer side spring and damper tube, or more cambergain in the front end. In general my tires will be more stable than a yellow or grey rear so you will have to make adjustments to get the rotation to keep the corner speed. if tuned right i think more grip could be better.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I come from a touring car background, and I find it so strange that super soft will help with my "locked in" issue. When I hear "super soft" I think super high grip, and when I hear "hard" compound I think low grip. But, this is not necessarily the case with 1/12 tires. The softer the compound, the more it sheds its foam surface. The harder the compound the more the tire will retain its original surface and will build up traction.

Most of the guys running at my indoor track are running medium front and rear. Should I be aiming for that tire combo or take your advice and give super soft a try.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Gravity RC

[QUOTE

Thanks!!
I come from a touring car background, and I find it so strange that super soft will help with my "locked in" issue. When I hear "super soft" I think super high grip, and when I hear "hard" compound I think low grip. But, this is not necessarily the case with 1/12 tires. The softer the compound, the more it sheds its foam surface. The harder the compound the more the tire will retain its original surface and will build up traction.

Most of the guys running at my indoor track are running medium front and rear. Should I be aiming for that tire combo or take your advice and give super soft a try.[/QUOTE]

Every track really is different so I cant say for sure but the SS definitely could free it up as you explained. maybe start with what they run and test from their.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quick question a thread search didn't answer (though this thread is huge so it's possible I've overlooked a post somewhere)…

What effect on motor braking does a change in mechanical timing have? If I increase timing from, for example, 20* to 35* can I expect increased, similar, or decreased braking power?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Paul, thanks for all the helpful hints at ROAR race....
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by C.Harper
Quick question a thread search didn't answer (though this thread is huge so it's possible I've overlooked a post somewhere)…

What effect on motor braking does a change in mechanical timing have? If I increase timing from, for example, 20* to 35* can I expect increased, similar, or decreased braking power?
That's a good question. I have noticed changes in brakes with timing ramp in the speedo more but not so much with end bell timing. I guess my vote is for similar.

Originally Posted by Ken McKinney
Paul, thanks for all the helpful hints at ROAR race....
No prob!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The softer the tire, the more the sidewall will deflect mid-corner... So, when used in the rear, a very soft tire can allow a lot of rotation.

But a softer tire will typically have more fwd bite than its harder equivalent. This is why you would see a Pink rear used so frequently in the Mod 12th classes(up until this past year)... They have gobs of fwd bite to lay the big power down, but are super soft so they allow the car to 'snap' around mid-corner, cutting a tight line.

In the stock/spec classes, it's a balance of getting the correct amount of rotation to keep corner speed up without going so soft as to increase the rolling resistance/bog the car down on corner exit.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul L
That's a good question. I have noticed changes in brakes with timing ramp in the speedo more but not so much with end bell timing. I guess my vote is for similar.
Okay make sense thank you for the response
Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Hey Paul. I am using gravity soft/soft tires in 13.5 blinky 12 scale. I handle great till about 6:30min in. Then I get really loose. It is very hard to get the car around the track without the back end coming around. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default PL FTW!

Paul, thank you for answering my question regarding steering effects of steering servo horn lengths.

Whenever you get a chance can you answer the benefit of lowered shock towers and shocks? Is this only for lowering overall COG with TC's or is there something else? I see this is one of the prominent changes for the 2014 kits.

Last edited by Overpowered; 03-26-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Madulla
Hey Paul. I am using gravity soft/soft tires in 13.5 blinky 12 scale. I handle great till about 6:30min in. Then I get really loose. It is very hard to get the car around the track without the back end coming around. Any suggestions?
Hi, Thanks!.
This can be a common problem in 12th scale, especially with low to mid grip, tires really like to start picking up stuff from the track and once it starts it compounds very fast.

I would try a few things and see if you can get to the bottom of it.

I would try a super soft rear tire, sauce it longer and sauce less front tire, the car should have similar steering but possibly help grip at the end.
I would also try LGC additive if you have not, many people at the Canadian nationals ran it and really thought it came in and lasted longer, winner of both WGT and 12th their used it and said he thought it was a advantage.
I would also try softer side springs, maybe it would help from pushing the tire as hard and build up less fuzz and debris. possibly a combo of these would even help. In the end though their is no promises, the only sure fire way is to get more cars out their and build the groove darker and wider.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Overpowered
Paul, thank you for answering my question regarding steering effects of steering servo horn lengths.

Whenever you get a chance can you answer the benefit of lowered shock towers and shocks? Is this only for lowering overall COG with TC's or is there something else? I see this is one of the prominent changes for the 2014 kits.
Hi. Yes I think it has multiple effects, the lower CG is obviously one of them but i think their is also a difference in the push angles or leverage angles on the upper shock, with it being lower. I don't have any proof but the way the suspension tuning effects the car is different so i kinda feel that it is not only a lower CG thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.