Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smile
Angrymelon, after your build, can you post pics on the front suspension arms so I can see how it clears the suspension mounts?

My educated guess however is that the standard shocks with long ends will still have a taller ride height.
Here are some pictures of the arms, with the shocks installed. The front shocks have a 1mm spacer inside the body to reduce the length just a hair. This prevents the steering links from catching on the chassis.

Pretty much done with the actual build now. Need to figure out what electronics I'm going to put in this thing. Ordered up a Lancia body today, so I'll finally have one amongst all the Subarus!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I've not finished with the build yet, but I did get the shocks mounted and figured I'd take some ride height pictures with shell. This is without most of the electronics, it only had the silver can motor and a shorty pack I threw in there. This also doesn't have any pre-load spacers on the shocks. The body is sitting as low as it can go in the front, so they definitely cut it close. The bottom edge of the body follows nicely with the lower edge of the chassis. Depending on the body, little room for adjustment here Once the thing has some weight in it, I'm guessing I'll actually have to add some pre-load and raise it back up a bit.

Difference between front and rear shocks when compared to the DF03ra. I added 1mm spacers to the front shocks to prevent them from binding with the chassis. The instructions called for one that was nearly 3mm, which seemed excessive. No spacers are used in the rear.
Are these long dampers the same lenght and travel as the TRF 501 Front Big Bores?

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-54504-b...h=595_744_1011

Would you mind taking some pictures of the instructions manual, more especifically the dampers´ assembly part and also the parts listings at the end? I´m really curious about these long dampers and these higher susp towers. I tried looking for the pdf version of this manual, but apparently it was not released yet.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stormridersp
Are these long dampers the same lenght and travel as the TRF 501 Front Big Bores?

Would you mind taking some pictures of the instructions manual, more especifically the dampers´ assembly part and also the parts listings at the end? I´m really curious about these long dampers and these higher susp towers. I tried looking for the pdf version of this manual, but apparently it was not released yet.

Thanks
I'm not sure if they're the same. After looking at the link, it looks like those might be a tiny bit longer, and the shafts look like they're longer as well. I'll snap the pictures this weekend of the manual.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Last night I raced in RCGT class again with the XV01 pro. Most cars are belt drive carbon double decks like Xray, TC6, TC5, Top photons etc.

First 2 heats I struggled and ended last and second to last. By Amain there were 3 of us left and I placed second which is not great feat out of 3 lol. However I was shocked when I looked at my times. I posted fairly consistently in the low 12 and 3 times dipped into 11s. By best lap time was an 11.6 which was not far off then the top driver (who races mod) and runs and X-ray T4-13.

I plan on buying the TB04 Pro II when it becomes available and will most likely sell the xv01 and use that as my dual purpose TC / Rally. It's won't be available until mid June though, so for the time being I'll continue racing with the XV01
Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Thanks

Hopefully these are useful.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
Last night I raced in RCGT class again with the XV01 pro. Most cars are belt drive carbon double decks like Xray, TC6, TC5, Top photons etc.

First 2 heats I struggled and ended last and second to last. By Amain there were 3 of us left and I placed second which is not great feat out of 3 lol. However I was shocked when I looked at my times. I posted fairly consistently in the low 12 and 3 times dipped into 11s. By best lap time was an 11.6 which was not far off then the top driver (who races mod) and runs and X-ray T4-13.

I plan on buying the TB04 Pro II when it becomes available and will most likely sell the xv01 and use that as my dual purpose TC / Rally. It's won't be available until mid June though, so for the time being I'll continue racing with the XV01
Well done sir I wouldn't have imagined the XV01 being very competitive on-road.

So do you think the TB04 will make for a good rally car?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Well done sir I wouldn't have imagined the XV01 being very competitive on-road.

So do you think the TB04 will make for a good rally car?
I think it would. The old TB02 was a good car for Rallye. The TB04 is shaft driven, closed front and rear gearbox. The spur pinion has a cover, unsure if it is sealed. You can easily make a dust cover for it.. In fact Rallye legends has one that should fit with ease.

Where I'm presently living (Las Vegas) there's not much opportunity for Rallye..
It's mostly rock here.. So I think my money is better spent on a chassis can be tuned for road.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
I think it would. The old TB02 was a good car for Rallye. The TB04 is shaft driven, closed front and rear gearbox. The spur pinion has a cover, unsure if it is sealed. You can easily make a dust cover for it.. In fact Rallye legends has one that should fit with ease.

Where I'm presently living (Las Vegas) there's not much opportunity for Rallye..
It's mostly rock here.. So I think my money is better spent on a chassis can be tuned for road.
Oh Raman, dont sell it!
Talk to the Colorado guys first, they have proved that the XV-01 is the best rally chassis out there! You might want to race that Tb04, but nothing will beat the XV-01 on dirt!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally...d-xv-01-a.html

BTW, hows going there mate?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hopefully these are useful.
Thanks for the scans mate! I´m afraid that tamiya missed the ball this time and hadnt written the parts lenght in the manual. I still believe that those shafts, at least the rear ones are 40.7mm.

The problem with the dampers thing is that the only buggy dampers that are sold separately, that is, front and rear, are the big bore aerated trf. All the others come in set of 4, 2 huge rears and 2 shorter fronts and the set costs about 80 bucks! Other than that, they sell the C.V.A minis, which are buggy standard dampers, in different sizes, from 55 to 70 something, but they´re plastic and cant match the TRFs. So it makes a really difficult choice, not to mention the research!

I guess I´ll have to wait til the susp towers are out so I can get some measures and then wait a few months til the proper dampers arrive.

Thanks for the scans!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Last edited by ThePanda; 01-24-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Delete

Last edited by Raman; 05-01-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Oh Raman, dont sell it!
Talk to the Colorado guys first, they have proved that the XV-01 is the best rally chassis out there! You might want to race that Tb04, but nothing will beat the XV-01 on dirt!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally...d-xv-01-a.html

BTW, hows going there mate?
Things are going very well.. busy with work and I finally have found time for RC.. but only 2 times a month.. thats all the wife will allow

I know.. I'm fond of the chassis it has served me well.. it went with me all the day to Brazil and back.. and recently I used it to race and had a lot of fun.. I'm trying to not spend "new" money in RC, just recycle the money.. that way I save the new money for my little son

Anyhow I sold something else and picked up a yokomo bd7 RS to race with. So the XV01 stays!

Last edited by Raman; 05-01-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, I'm getting a Tamiya XV01 Long Damper Spec in May 27th. I already have the electronics which are Tamiya TEU-105 BK ESC, Savox SC-1258TG, Airtronics 2.4ghz Radio and Transmitter. Is there anything else I should know about this kit? Is there any problems with the car? Also, what upgrades should I put on this car?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mac8
Hey guys, I'm getting a Tamiya XV01 Long Damper Spec in May 27th. I already have the electronics which are Tamiya TEU-105 BK ESC, Savox SC-1258TG, Airtronics 2.4ghz Radio and Transmitter. Is there anything else I should know about this kit? Is there any problems with the car? Also, what upgrades should I put on this car?

Thanks
I can't say with any first hand durability experience, but I did do some research before buying my XV01. I decided to buy the slipper set and the aluminum suspension mounts. I read these were likely the most important upgrades to the durability of the car. Be warned, as with most Tamiya stuff, be prepared for sticker shock

Slipper Clutch Set - Tamiya Part # 54378
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLWA

Aluminum Suspension Mount - Tamiya Part # 54379
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLWB

It's the same part number for both the front and rear of the car.

The last part I purchased was an extra set of body mounts. Considering I'll likely have several different bodies on this thing, and I normally trim the mounts to match the body.

Tamiya Chassis B Parts - Tamiya Part # 51502
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLVG

Hope this helps,
melon

P.S. While I've read that these parts are a good upgrade, depending on how you plan to use the car will determine their necessity.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Initiate

There are some guys who rally in Colorado, from time to time they post up some vids. They race against each other like Rally Cross, on narrow tracks, jumps and tight turns

You can find them at RCcralwer forums, which has a special Rally section.

One of the colorado guys chiming in.. I don't make it to rctech often. but this thread came up in a google search and I saw some CO chat. Thought I'd say howdy. Indeed you can find us on rccrawler in the rally section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.