Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 brushless VS 1/8 nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

As long as your electronics have room to vent then they should be fine. If you build a buggy and seal it all up then your just asking to thermal. A nitro motor will over heat if it's not being cooled.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run both and really do not prefer one over the other. I do however love the sound of a nitro ripping down the straight. As far as maintaining goes only thing not on my electric buggy is a clutchbell, clutch shoes and brake pads. There are still plenty of things to maintain diffs, bearings, shocks, bushings and cleaning.
So, I would not say electric is less maintenance.
They both will survive
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

At one point I owned a 8ight and a 8ight t both electrics. One has the xceleron 2100kv system and the Truggy had a MM 2200kv.

Electric was hands down way faster than the nitro. I now only own a losi 8ight 2.0 and 8ight t 2.0 both nitro.

batteries are way overpriced. They take over an hour to charge. They are very delicate. ESC and MOTOR temps get scary hot. Solder joint come undone. weight balance is off. At the end of the day a nitro vehicle is worth the hassle it's more fun to drive.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
I like pitting, more like real racing, as was mentioned...

I also like knowing a car is coming when I'm near the track(sound)

+10 no way i will ever go to ele 8ffff
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

yes lol i know that it still takes matence but since ive been running electrics for 8 years and racing them for 7 its just kinda 2nd hand nature for me and i dont think twice about anything like that i tend to tear all my 1/10th's down after every run when im paying and after ever race day and thats second nature but with the nitro idk why but it takes me like forever and ever to do the same thing when with it converted just pull the RX the ESC and the motor and clean compaired to pipe,engine,both sevors and the RX,RXbattery pack, fuel tank and more before i can even begin doing everything i want you know.,

but as long as the converted can survive the eat where i live and its ok to run with the nitro guys im prolly gonna switch
Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
At one point I owned a 8ight and a 8ight t both electrics. One has the xceleron 2100kv system and the Truggy had a MM 2200kv.

Electric was hands down way faster than the nitro. I now only own a losi 8ight 2.0 and 8ight t 2.0 both nitro.

batteries are way overpriced. They take over an hour to charge. They are very delicate. ESC and MOTOR temps get scary hot. Solder joint come undone. weight balance is off. At the end of the day a nitro vehicle is worth the hassle it's more fun to drive.
i love the feel of nitro to and i love the sound and the smell i just dont love the prices right now i just cant afford them,

what i would spend in a season or year of racing on nitro i could get a brushless set-up and have money left over
Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACE MAN
thank you all for your replys i appreciate them all,

now ive had my nitro jammin for a while and i love nitro i grew up in the desert ive been around racing and riding since i was four years old but now its time for a new engine and im seeing most of them that are decent engines im lookin at around 200+ bucks plus fuel has gone up so much that buying a case of 4 gallons is over 100 bucks, that for those prices right there i could completly convert my jammin over and just go from there, but the only thing that conserns me is the fact that in the summer(from right now till september where i live) its gonna be 100F or hotter but then the cold months its ice cold so im conserned about the thermal issue durring the summer,

i geuss what im saying is i love nitro its more then fun but its jut so friggen expensive.

Well its not any hotter where you are then where I am and there is a bunch of people here that race electric 1.8th all year round including outdoor during the summer afternoons.

While care must be taken, it it completely possible to run without thermal problems.

i also like the smell of nitro alot, but the best thing is is that everyone else at a big track is running nitro so I can get that without all the hassle that goes along.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Originally Posted by RACE MAN
i love the feel of nitro to and i love the sound and the smell i just dont love the prices right now i just cant afford them,

what i would spend in a season or year of racing on nitro i could get a brushless set-up and have money left over
Well if you are in Cali and want to run in the 20+ min mains you better get at minimum a 5S-6S battery and 1500kv motor. Then you need to purchase a charger that is capable of charging those packs. You are gonna be looking at the hyperion duoII the only way to go. 300 bucks for that plus a power supply, 200+min for a battery and you will want at least 4. Then you are gonna wanna have a spare esc and spare motor. They cook trust me. My buddy is on his 3rd Mamba and his 2nd motor. Yes they replaced them but 3 weeks out each time.

For me i just like the feel of nitro, I like to hear what my car is doing. I think it's the motocross racer in me. I loved the power of the electric but that was it.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

$200 min for a battery? If you buy (2) SMC 3s 5k batteries it is like $140, and if u buy from china it's less than $100.

Well if you are in Cali and want to run in the 20+ min mains you better get at minimum a 5S-6S battery and 1500kv motor. Then you need to purchase a charger that is capable of charging those packs. You are gonna be looking at the hyperion duoII the only way to go. 300 bucks for that plus a power supply, 200+min for a battery and you will want at least 4. Then you are gonna wanna have a spare esc and spare motor. They cook trust me. My buddy is on his 3rd Mamba and his 2nd motor. Yes they replaced them but 3 weeks out each time.

For me i just like the feel of nitro, I like to hear what my car is doing. I think it's the motocross racer in me. I loved the power of the electric but that was it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

You are partially incorrect. Anything that is rated at 6000 or more will go 20 minutes minimum in a 4s system. Goal of motor spec is 2000-2100. Pinion around 13 tooth. I see it all the time. But if you cheap out on the batteries and get 4200s or 5000s, then you will run about 15 minutes.

BUT, here is the caveat emptor (buyer beware).....lol. I am looking at the Caster fusion that runs 2 battery packs. I will have to assume you are talking about a vehicle that has a single pack. If that is what you are referring to, then you are correct.

As for the esc and motor, there are ways to protect them, but they can get really hot and burn up. I think it isn't as prevalent as everyone implies though.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i just love hearing my os screaming down the front straight and hearing what it is doing, balance is better and endless .. to a point run times of nitro , i still want an electric for a run any time but it is nitro for me
Old 04-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

I love my nitro. but I'm going to convert 1 of my 2 buggies to electric and compare the differences. being a mechanic and drag racer there is nothing like the smell or sound of a little nitro vehicle running around the track but guys lets face the facts there is gonna be more & more electric 1/8th scales popping up every where in fact there may be a day in the not to distant future we see all electric & no nitro vehicles. as you all know there pushing this farst of the green house deal and will eventually try and fase out the nitros I hate to see it but thats what I see happening and thats why they are pushing so hard. now the problems I'm seeing is we are going to be forced to do away with 1 polutant but are creating another one with the lipo's and disposal of them and the motors & speedos as they go bad.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've tried nitro planes and boats, but never cars. I couldn't get the plane and boat motor to run right, so figured I'd go electric, even more so now that brushless is out and cheap. No starting problems, no adjustments, no problem waiting at the start, no loading up, no greasy mess.

In the last race I did I was the only electric 1/8 and the other 7 in the A main were nitro. By the end of the 15 minute main there were two nitros and me and my Caster Fusion running a MMM and 2650kv and two 2s trak power 5000mah lipos ($75 each) I placed second, but couldn't get on the podium because the race director says "GP have motor trouble, EP no problem"

The lipos took 2900 mah, so I could go about 2-3 more minutes on those. If it was a longer main I'd have to change batteries, which takes about a minute, but that's one pit for every 15 instead of 1 every 5-6 minutes.

I can run my 1/8 almost anywhere and no one knows. Our track closed recently due to it's next to a golf course and drivers with nitros were not following the hours, electrics they never would even notice.

I don't mind the smell, the noise I wear earplugs and I don't mind racing against them because 5 out of six will probably have problems and driving wins in the end.

I have about $900 into my Caster Fusion Pro including Lipos, but I already had the chargers too. My friend has about $1500 into his HBD8, but he also had to buy the starter box, glow ignitor, fuel, he already had a charger--oh and he flamed out and got T-Boned...

BTW-the Caster Fusion is not a conversion so it has no balance issues...
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by penguineman
now the problems I'm seeing is we are going to be forced to do away with 1 polutant but are creating another one with the lipo's and disposal of them and the motors & speedos as they go bad.
Once lipos are discharged and the plastic removed they are supposed to be harmless--just metal plates, something I heard, not known as a fact...anyone with proof?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YDBD
Once lipos are discharged and the plastic removed they are supposed to be harmless--just metal plates, something I heard, not known as a fact...anyone with proof?
Its just a lithium-aluminum alloy inside.

the lithium just oxidizes away to a dirt common lithium salt and the aluminum takes longer but eventually ends up doing the same.

Theres probably recycling plants that will take them and strip the lithium out, because of the value if your really worried about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.