Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 brushless VS 1/8 nitro? >

1/8 brushless VS 1/8 nitro?

1/8 brushless VS 1/8 nitro?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 brushless VS 1/8 nitro?

i was wondering if i could get some solid opinions from people who have converted over to brushless in their 1/8 scale truggys or buggys and if you like it beter or dislike or watever cause it just became a possiblity and im thinkin pretty hard.

any and all thoughts on this matter are welcome and i will appreciate,

thank you for your time, RM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

anyone??????
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Elec.
-
charging batteries sux.
puffed lipos sux.
thermaling sux.
esc can melt

+
ghost quiet.....for the most part.
no fuel
no messy pit stops
easier to clean
no starter box/ignitor/fuel bottle/tuning screw driver.

Gas.
-
loud
dirty because of oil in exhaust.
fuel is $30 a gallon
motor is $300ish
stupid starter box
pit stops (+/-)
stupid glow igniter
stupid fuel bottle
stupid tuning screw driver
stupid tuning (elevation, temp, and humidity dependent)
flameouts
+
the sound of a 2-cycle motor
no battery charging....technically
no thermaling...technically
feels like real racing as far as duration of race and pit strat.
many gas racers at many tracks.
no ESC settings
no melted ESC
no soldering
can get wet....to a point
run time
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I think li//bl 1/8th buggies are a bad way to go because they generate a good enviroment for things to thermal in. When people started running 2wd truck w/ the gas trucks the trucks could run well because of the big shell. However, buggies often times had trouble running for that long. A truggy or something like an sc8e w/ a 6s a123 pack(can be charged in 10 minutes and purchased for $55 off ebay) would be a great setup. The one advantage that li//bl has is that you can run in the cooler months. Nitros should be sitting on a shelf once the temp drops below 60F. However, these electrics can still be run strong. For the money li//bl should be cheaper if you take care of it. Something like a mamba monster w/ a neu 1515 2.5d & a 4 6s a123 packs in the pit bag w/ a good charger should get you through an hour long main no problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I like pitting, more like real racing, as was mentioned...

I also like knowing a car is coming when I'm near the track(sound)
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you really enjoy all the pain in the ass stuff associated with Nitro RC Things like constent tuning, cleaning, rebuilding, lubing, etc. Then go Nitro, there is nothing closer to racing a real car..If you really jus want to race/play and have fun with allot less work and time, go Electric..I currently have 2 Nitro XRAY 808's and I am seriously considering converting one over to electric to increase my fun factor, and save me 10 hours a week of work and cleaning
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
If you really enjoy all the pain in the ass stuff associated with Nitro RC Things like constent tuning, cleaning, rebuilding, lubing, etc. Then go Nitro, there is nothing closer to racing a real car..If you really jus want to race/play and have fun with allot less work and time, go Electric..I currently have 2 Nitro XRAY 808's and I am seriously considering converting one over to electric to increase my fun factor, and save me 10 hours a week of work and cleaning
Do it.. theres a lot of people around the area that would help you if you run into problems.

I personally love the smell of nitros but the cleaning and maintaining was such a pain.

And electric is cheaper in the long run.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

The one thing I like about nitro over electric, is that you can rebuild and replace parts fairly easily.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

When my buggy got into trouble I miss my slash, after spending a weekend with my slash then suddenly I miss my buggy and smell of nitro on my finger...the point is both are FUN!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
Do it.. theres a lot of people around the area that would help you if you run into problems.

I personally love the smell of nitros but the cleaning and maintaining was such a pain.

And electric is cheaper in the long run.
I very well may, as soon as I get my racing life back. Right now working 6 days a week, but soon I will be able to race again. I'll look you up for help if I do it
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

for myself it is cheaper and more fun to run nitro.

i see way to many problems with electrics at the tracks melted solder joints and burned up escs are what i see the most though.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
The one thing I like about nitro over electric, is that you can rebuild and replace parts fairly easily.
How do you figure you can't do that with electric? In fact, the major electric components have WARRANTIES. Smoke a $240 Neu motor and they will give you a new one free or if it was serious user error they will charge $100 bucks, no questions asked. Smoke the ESC, most manufacturers will replace it or again charge a nominal replacement fee. About the only thing that isn't warranted is the lipos, but some mfg's will even replace those if they go bad early under normal usage.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Electric Pros:
Generally faster than nitro
Quiet
Cleaner
More low end torque/acceleration which means clearing big jumps with no run up
Lower long term costs

Electric Cons:
Cars really aren't designed for electric, so handling can be a little off
20 minutes is about the max run time w/o battery swap. No long mains
Quiet
Electronics/motor not as durable as a nitro engine.
Prone to overheating on hot days
Pretty expensive upfront due to cost of lipos

Most of the guys I know that race electrics do so more out of convenience than anything. We love to drive and race, but find the nitro maintenance to be a little too much of a hassle.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

I have raced both and I like the smell of nitro, it is just refuelling and off you go! The batteries became better and better the last year which resulted in longer driving, downside is still the long charging times (depends on how much amp you are charging: I charge my 4000mah lipo's on 4amps so it takes one hour for a charge)
Downside of the nitro buggy is the loud noise: you are not allowed to run your car everywhere while you can race your electric buggy everywhere!
With the the evolution of fast brushless motors the electrics are beating us nitro guys!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

thank you all for your replys i appreciate them all,

now ive had my nitro jammin for a while and i love nitro i grew up in the desert ive been around racing and riding since i was four years old but now its time for a new engine and im seeing most of them that are decent engines im lookin at around 200+ bucks plus fuel has gone up so much that buying a case of 4 gallons is over 100 bucks, that for those prices right there i could completly convert my jammin over and just go from there, but the only thing that conserns me is the fact that in the summer(from right now till september where i live) its gonna be 100F or hotter but then the cold months its ice cold so im conserned about the thermal issue durring the summer,

i geuss what im saying is i love nitro its more then fun but its jut so friggen expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.