Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BROKEN CRANKSHAFT!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krawl
Thanks for the advice guys....I just curious, could this happened because I overtighten the flywheel nut? Because this is the first time I installed a flywheel with my own hand, usually my LHS mechanic get the job done....
somebody please comment on this...thx
Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Broken Crankshaft ... That can happen to anymotor not just Sirio based engines
I have a Sirio CL7B STI that had about 10 Gallons on it before it died, Rx battery died making it runaway & over rev ( I had switched back to FM) & the piston skirt cracked & front outer engine bearing blew but no crank failure !
I also have a Jammin JPX .21 modded with almost 5 gallons on it & I had just put in a new TKO Ceramic main bearing . This engine was crazy fast & in my last race here in PR at Landfill rc track (huge horsepower track) I was getting 9+ mins to empty tank with 6.5 venturi and ofna 053 pipe.
First qual put me 6th overall, sec qual had engine issues and qualified 1st in B main.
When I check my engine the shaft had broken around the bearings of the clutch bell Go figure !!!
Now I'm down to my last engine a Go 5PT and using my sirio carb.
So I think any engine can break any part of it, just bad luck or sometimes a lemon who knows. Just try to weather it out & have fun
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Maximo, I do agree with a lot of what said. A little info on the EB Mode V Specs though. After tuning and pitting for one all season, they have the same runtime as a stock v spec, just more power. Try it against a Speed or something that has a mod job to gain the same as the mod job on the picco.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Maximo, I do agree with a lot of what said. A little info on the EB Mode V Specs though. After tuning and pitting for one all season, they have the same runtime as a stock v spec, just more power. Try it against a Speed or something that has a mod job to gain the same as the mod job on the picco.

I do definitely like the OS engines.. we were actually running a Speed in Peter's buggy, did very well for him.... I think the issue for me between the Picco and OS is the fact i have way more experience tweaking the Picco's, I am relatively new with the V-Specs, I am sure if i had as much R+D time into the OS I would be able to get even better mileage... Integra ( Nick Moxley ) was running my V-Spec in pro buggy, we were pitting him at 10 minutes and using around 100 cc of fuel, the power was very smooth down low and ramped up to an excelent top end, the powerband seemed perfectly matched to those conditions and both of us were very impressed.... Because we have had great experiences with the Picco's its very hard for us to say the OS is a better engine, myself I feel the need to use different engine for different track conditions, i really like my modded C6 on anything that has a huge straight, I like the OS for loose surfaces and I like the Picco for high bite tracks, of course we could use all 3 on any surface but each engine does excel under different conditions... For a well rounded engine the V-Spec is very hard to argue with....
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i broke the crank on my b7 pro as well, i ended up sending it back to werks and they replaced it and the bearings for me. this mill is difficult to tune and all but i must say their product support is very good! use the contact info on their site and im sure jim will work something out with you
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krawl
Thanks for the advice guys....I just curious, could this happened because I overtighten the flywheel nut? Because this is the first time I installed a flywheel with my own hand, usually my LHS mechanic get the job done....
Do you have a picture of the broken crankshaft? Where did it break? I've run the earlier versions of the werks motors. I had a couple modified by eb mods and rb mods and the motors held up find until I had a rod split up the middle of it. Since then, I've changed the motors, but show us a picture or describe where the crank broke.