Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vujkovicv
notice the position of the motor plate. Its a tuning option on our cars. kinda hard to miss. I know all about mm3,mm4, rm3 and 4, but this is something completely different. what im thinking is it reverses the way the motor spins and more weight will transfer to the back for more forward bite if its in right hand drive.
I had my vehicle setup in the manner you are thinking until I was advised I had it wrong. I am not sure what it did though, I think I felt like I had a bit more rear grip if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by bdyche
Yes, "space the case." Play with internal shimming first, though. When I ran another brand we would sometimes end up with 0.2mm of shims between the halves of the transmission and a thin bead of silicone caulking or permatex at the seam to keep dirt out.
thanks, so when you do this, are you shimming all the gears this way for an eveness on all the gears? (I hope what I am saying makes sense) versus say just shimming the diff itself and then compressing the case on the other gears that are not shimmed.

any recommendation on a shim kit to use?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vujkovicv
notice the position of the motor plate. Its a tuning option on our cars. kinda hard to miss. I know all about mm3,mm4, rm3 and 4, but this is something completely different. what im thinking is it reverses the way the motor spins and more weight will transfer to the back for more forward bite if its in right hand drive.
Left hand or right hand, whatever setup you're using, the motor will have to spin in the same direction to get drive.
The only difference, would be how motor timing affects motor performance when run in reverse, I think.
*edit to clarify - The motor needs to spin towards the rear of the car in MM3 for both configurations you're talking about.

Last edited by ekt; 05-24-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I had my vehicle setup in the manner you are thinking until I was advised I had it wrong. I am not sure what it did though, I think I felt like I had a bit more rear grip if I recall correctly.

thanks, so when you do this, are you shimming all the gears this way for an eveness on all the gears? (I hope what I am saying makes sense) versus say just shimming the diff itself and then compressing the case on the other gears that are not shimmed.

any recommendation on a shim kit to use?
For the top shaft I ended up using the shims that came in the kit (just one of them, though), no shims on the idler gear and no shims on the differential (gear diff). When I ran a ball diff I used a single 0.1mm shim to take the slop out, but no more as if I shimmed it per kit instructions it would bind, same with the top shaft gear. Just a lot of trial and error, but it is free speed, so it is worth the time.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Noisy Tranny???

Been running a 210 V3 in stock and it has been pretty good so far. However, the tranny on these cars is very noisy compared to the 22 3.0's and B5M's of the world by a wide margin. I don't know if it is just mine but it seems that there is a noticeable noise that comes from the gear cover vibrating on the motor plate! I don't know why but it is quite noticeable in my case and was wondering if anyone else has had this same noise. Car seems to run fine just a bit noisy compared to the competition!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turtle Speed
Been running a 210 V3 in stock and it has been pretty good so far. However, the tranny on these cars is very noisy compared to the 22 3.0's and B5M's of the world by a wide margin. I don't know if it is just mine but it seems that there is a noticeable noise that comes from the gear cover vibrating on the motor plate! I don't know why but it is quite noticeable in my case and was wondering if anyone else has had this same noise. Car seems to run fine just a bit noisy compared to the competition!
What gearing are you running? Some stock gearing combos require a touch of the gear cover to be removed to prevent contact.

Other things to check are that your lower screw is properly screwed in or that your motor plate screws aren't protruding past the motor plate and making contact with the slipper plate
Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ekt
What gearing are you running? Some stock gearing combos require a touch of the gear cover to be removed to prevent contact.

Other things to check are that your lower screw is properly screwed in or that your motor plate screws aren't protruding past the motor plate and making contact with the slipper plate
Currently running a 69 spur and a 33 pinion! Why would such a small combo rub on the cover?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Legend

The stock cover I don't think was desired for the bigger pinion gears. You could give the exotek gear cover a look. Or, to confirm, just pull the gear cover and see if you still have the same noise.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

The stock cover I don't think was desired for the bigger pinion gears. You could give the exotek gear cover a look. Or, to confirm, just pull the gear cover and see if you still have the same noise.
Yeah, I will give that a try and see how it goes. The sound isn't terrible but kinda annoying and sounds like the car has something wrong and it doesn't! Otherwise car has been durable and pretty good overall! My biggest problem is parts availability in my area. The closest place that carries Durango is like 45 minutes away!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Legend

heck, I have no place that carriers durango. However, I have a pretty big warchest or parts from buying people out.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

heck, I have no place that carriers durango. However, I have a pretty big warchest or parts from buying people out.
I don't have parts other than the extra I order but since I work at a Hobbyshop part time I order from Great Planes as needed. Guess I'm kinda lucky plus I between my Durango stuff and my buddy has some we normally have a spare somewhere.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by wyd
I don't have parts other than the extra I order but since I work at a Hobbyshop part time I order from Great Planes as needed. Guess I'm kinda lucky plus I between my Durango stuff and my buddy has some we normally have a spare somewhere.
I actually ordered some parts recently. I needed a new shock body as I dented one somehow so the piston would not go up and down past a certain point. At least that wasn't too much sticker shock.

I also ordered a few more sets of rear a-arms as I didn't have the latest style in the amounts I felt comfortable with. Fronts will be set for a long long time.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I actually ordered some parts recently. I needed a new shock body as I dented one somehow so the piston would not go up and down past a certain point. At least that wasn't too much sticker shock.

I also ordered a few more sets of rear a-arms as I didn't have the latest style in the amounts I felt comfortable with. Fronts will be set for a long long time.
Wow dented a shock body. You would think that would have to be a very hard wreck to dent one enough that the shock piston gets stuck.

I like the newer rear arms with the new mounts. I think I have 1 pair extra for mine.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, it was kind of comical to seee the vehicle drive pretty well with just one wheel compressed lol.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

yeah, it was kind of comical to seee the vehicle drive pretty well with just one wheel compressed lol.
Kinda had some oval action going by lifting up the front wheel like that.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Turtle Speed
I spend a lot of time on my transmissions, an old habit from long ago.....but I also quite often run my V3 back to back with my B5 series vehicle's. I too notice that the 210V3 is louder. Lap times don't lie. My loud 210 is just as fast as my B5M, even though it sounds like a dump truck. 90% of all noise comes from the pinion and spur. If it bothers you, experiment with different brands of gears. Some are quieter than others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.