Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

For the untreated parking lot surfaces we have to run on locally I think this 4wd car would be perfect. I have a WRC it does not like to run on untreated parking lot surfaces.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Come to us

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
For the untreated parking lot surfaces we have to run on locally I think this 4wd car would be perfect. I have a WRC it does not like to run on untreated parking lot surfaces.
Next year, If you come to a MWS race, I'll set you up with a 2wd Pan.

My guess is that you'll never get a group to race a 1/8th gas car on a untreated surface. It just isn't that much fun and dirty too. If you think you need 4wd (I would agree.) the full suspension would help also. Low power motors. But if you got a group, go for it.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Next year, If you come to a MWS race, I'll set you up with a 2wd Pan.

My guess is that you'll never get a group to race a 1/8th gas car on a untreated surface. It just isn't that much fun and dirty too. If you think you need 4wd (I would agree.) the full suspension would help also. Low power motors. But if you got a group, go for it.
..........Thanks for the offer however I have seen videos of you guys racing on a prepared track. I know these cars will handle on a prepared smooth surface . All we have to run on is parking lots and none of them compare to the smooth treated surface you run on. And I know how to set up a 1/8 scale onroad car. I just feel that what I am trying to do the WRC car is not gonna work in my enviroment. In fact I know it won't work because I have already tried it.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 11-17-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

You want to revitalize interest in ON ROAD RACING?? You need to start at the grass roots thats parking lot racing thats how this sport developed .
Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

The modern pan cars work amazingly well on smooth prepared surfaces , for those of us lucky enough to have one nearby , and provide probably the best bang for your buck in R/C today , but if the surface is rough and unprepped GT cars with their buggy heritage are probably a better choice than even a 4wd pan or suspension car.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default PARKING LOT RACING

Here is what we did in 1970 to run on parking lot, try find best area you can find, grab your gas leaf blower and get some markers for coarse lay out old farm plow disk from some farmers junk pile and $30 dollar lawn sprayer and 5 pounds sugar and water mix with hot water when head out. Blow dirt off area set up coarse and spray mixed sugar water on race line and have fun.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

..........Thanks for the offer however I have seen videos of you guys racing on a prepared track. I know these cars will handle on a prepared smooth surface . All we have to run on is parking lots and none of them compare to the smooth treated surface you run on. And I know how to set up a 1/8 scale onroad car. I just feel that what I am trying to do the WRC car is not gonna work in my enviroment. In fact I know it won't work because I have already tried it.
Interesting discussion. I find it quite interesting that the consensus is that a "pan" car can't be run/raced on an untreated, less that smooth surface. Ever wonder how it was done "in the old days"? Seems to me you are trying to use some of the modern improvements (Motors???) and not the chassis/track they need to run successfully on. SLOW DOWN! Ever think about that? Might be an interesting experiment.....
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Interesting discussion. I find it quite interesting that the consensus is that a "pan" car can't be run/raced on an untreated, less that smooth surface. Ever wonder how it was done "in the old days"? Seems to me you are trying to use some of the modern improvements (Motors???) and not the chassis/track they need to run successfully on. SLOW DOWN! Ever think about that? Might be an interesting experiment.....
+1 back then our motors did not put out the insane HP and RPM the motors do these days. These cars can be driven anywhere, just a matter of throttle control, anyone remember the 2wd suspension cars (1:8 & 1:10 IC)?

The Europeans these days are running their 2wd Pan cars with 7-9 port motors on the same tracks as their 1:8 4wd bretheren and seem to be doing fine.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-18-2014 at 03:03 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Here is my P8F Competition finally a roller, still waiting on my Servos, Receiver and OS motor. I also need to trim the steering servo mount, and am awaiting the one piece motor mount. Some of the hardware was wrong, so that will be fixed. Don't Mind the old foams - chassis looks naked without tires.

As stated by many the car may be a dead class, but now I can run with my 1:8 4wd buddies all while maintaining a low spares inventory between all cars. And no, I am not going back to a suspension car, I am having to much fun running our "classic" Pan Cars.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag9632.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag9633.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag9634.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-imag9636.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
..............Nope I said my WRC does not like untreated less than smooth tracks to run on.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
The modern pan cars work amazingly well on smooth prepared surfaces , for those of us lucky enough to have one nearby , and provide probably the best bang for your buck in R/C today , but if the surface is rough and unprepped GT cars with their buggy heritage are probably a better choice than even a 4wd pan or suspension car.
..........I have not had any experence with a GT Car. Thanks for the tip Mr. Davis!!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gary47
Here is what we did in 1970 to run on parking lot, try find best area you can find, grab your gas leaf blower and get some markers for coarse lay out old farm plow disk from some farmers junk pile and $30 dollar lawn sprayer and 5 pounds sugar and water mix with hot water when head out. Blow dirt off area set up coarse and spray mixed sugar water on race line and have fun.
............Thats what we did back in the 70's!! Thanks for jogging my memory gary47.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gary47
The 70s! There was a club in Connecticut called NERCAR that was still doing this as late as 2006.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

..........I have not had any experence with a GT Car. Thanks for the tip Mr. Davis!!
i tried a diff approach here....invited the 1/8th nitro buggy guys too get some road tires for some parking lot fun on some off sundays. no luck, shame is our local collage has a brand new pave job on the lot.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Come race with the MWS!

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Here is my P8F Competition finally a roller, still waiting on my Servos, Receiver and OS motor. I also need to trim the steering servo mount, and am awaiting the one piece motor mount. Some of the hardware was wrong, so that will be fixed. Don't Mind the old foams - chassis looks naked without tires.

As stated by many the car may be a dead class, but now I can run with my 1:8 4wd buddies all while maintaining a low spares inventory between all cars. And no, I am not going back to a suspension car, I am having to much fun running our "classic" Pan Cars.
My offer seems silly beings you have all those Motonica cars.

Very cool 4wd, mine has a fiberglass chassis and allot of Mugen parts. Are you setting it up using Motonica's set up sheet? May I ask what your kit cost you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.