Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Tamiya F103 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Psyco,
have you tried the bushing rear suspension? Thats what I run and everyone else at my track runs too (probably the fastest F103 drivers in the nation). But since I have never tried the piviot ball I can't tell you from my own exsperience what works the best.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

I used to run the bushing rear end and personally.....there is no difference in performance to me. Everyone here uses the pivot-ball suspension.....and I think that we are some of the fastest F1 drivers in the nation too....we have a couple Kyosho World Cup drivers....whom I'm just as fast as. I think that almost any of the mods for the F103 besides the weight saving parts are almost negligible in performance gains.....give a good driver a stock car and the right tires and he will not be that far behind a totally hopped up car.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Psycho-
When I had my Kyosho T9300, the decals that came with that kit were for the Target scheme...and it also had the red wings too! Too bad I already sold it!

Jody
Old 11-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Guys, I have two Tamiya F1 cars. One started life as an F103RS and the other was the LM TRF. I hopped up the RS, but kept the stock o-ring pivot. The TRF car came with the pivot ball rearend. Initially, The o-ring pivot caused strange handling because I didn't have the screws tightened down enough and there was lateral play instead of just up and down. Once I tightened down the screws to remove the lateral play, the car handled great. I do find that when you tighten the screws down so you have no lateral play, you also significantly reduce the up and down mobility. This makes the car handle great on smooth tracks and not so great on rough tracks. You can do the same thing by adding the tweak screws to the pivot ball suspension. Basically, I agree with TheNige that there isn't much difference between the two. If you race tracks that have a wide range of conditions, you might do better with the pivot ball rear end and add the tweak screws to it. Maybe in the hands of a top driver, there would be more of a difference.

Odie

I was originally planning on building my "L" chassis car and painting it in the Target scheme, but decided not to open the box. If TheNige comes through for me on the Compaq decals, I'll just drive Juan Montoya's Williams F1 car. I have the Cross Williams body all ready to go. It just needs the decals! (hint hint!)
Old 11-24-2001, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Nige
were are you getting these BMW decals?
Old 11-25-2001, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Making them.....not for a month or so though. You can make your own too with a regular inkjet by using Repro Film.

I'll be using vinyl with a printer that can print white....all details will be posted on Formula 1 R/C so don't request or ask to be contacted for specific decals
Old 11-25-2001, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am going to be running my f1 on carpet, its rather new (only a few weeks old) anyway i got one used, started out as a 911 gt1, and i am currently running with the mercedes mclaren body+wings, anyway the car is a blast to drive, alot of people came up to me and complimented me on the car, anyway, it was running great, except for that in the 180 degree turns and in tight corners, when i went in carrying speed the car would slow down, almost like it skipped or something. it was fine at high speed and through longer corner, just tight ones, that i had to brake hard, and then accelerate quickly while in a tight radius. i am running hrb soft's all around, with sauced rears. nothing in the damper disks, and black springs in the front. i have no clue about the shock oil or spring, but its an aluminium (tamiya, i think) one. i am running a stock airtronics servo and a rooster esc, p2k2 motor 75/18 gearing (48pitch). if anyone could make any suggestions that would be great, thanks! oh and the diff is set right, loose, but no slip.

also anyone know where i can get fw23 decals? (or at least some compaq ones?) thx!
Old 11-25-2001, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

stormperson

I would try running medium compound tires up front and maybe reducing your steering throw a little. I'd bet you are getting quite a bit of oversteer with softs up front. I run mediums up front an asphalt, so I can only imagine the oversteer you must have on carpet. You may have to go to the gold or even silver springs with the harder compund up front. If you have exponential on your radio, use it on both steering and throttle. Depending on the track, you also may want to go with a little higher gear ratio. I usually run with 12, 13 or 14/75 on a P2K Pro. Unless you have a really long straightaway, you should be faster with those combos.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there is a long straight, and alot of fast corners, thus that gearing, i am thinking of going down to a 16 though. are there any fixes i can do without getting new tires, just quick ones? its pretty much handles great, except that it does break lose mid corner.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

The only thing I can think of that might help is to reduce your steering rate or use exponential.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:14 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey psycho, I m not sure about this...but try to lock up your diff...take out the 'balls'...and try it...

Cornering will be no problem...but i tryed one with the diff locked up and another car that has a smooth ball diff....and they are about the same...

TRY it...
Old 12-02-2001, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Lets keep the F103 forum on the front page, Don't let it die.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

It's been raining lately, so no racing F1 for me. Just Micro's...
Old 12-02-2001, 11:19 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hey psycho, i got a micro too man...its very fun....
Old 12-02-2001, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Stormperson.....if you are running the new front end that may be the cause of your push...go to the old style......i wouldnt run softer tires in the front than the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.