Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$30 motor brushes anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default $30 motor brushes anyone?

Ok I'm sure you guys have seen Reedy's new Plutonium brush. Sorry but if this electric brushed motor technology has gotten this far out of hand I quit again. I can drink like 36 beers for $30. Or I can drive my 10 mile to the gallon Buick for oh like two days on $30, Or I can go downtown and pick up a, Oh thats another message board but you get the picture.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

so sorry nice knowing you!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If your racing mod TC at a high level then you're probably burning up your brushes EVERY RUN. Lets just say a pair of brushes cost $4, so that's $4 a run. The new Reedy brushes are "supposed" to last around 30 runs, that comes out to $1 a run compared to the $4 a run we do now. If your not racing mod TC and burning up brushes every run then you don't need these brushes.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

GO STOCK RACING
Old 11-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

i heard about these brushes months ago i think they should be outlawed at every track in every country

Dave you are quiting just because an expensive brush came out
Old 11-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by adootindotin
i heard about these brushes months ago i think they should be outlawed at every track in every country

are you serious? It's been said that they don't give any performance gain other than lasting ALOT longer. Everyone does not NEED these brushes. If you're racing mod TC and are tired of replacing brushes every run they you will probably want them.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: $30 motor brushes anyone?

Originally posted by David Butts
Ok I'm sure you guys have seen Reedy's new Plutonium brush. Sorry but if this electric brushed motor technology has gotten this far out of hand I quit again. I can drink like 36 beers for $30. Or I can drive my 10 mile to the gallon Buick for oh like two days on $30, Or I can go downtown and pick up a, Oh thats another message board but you get the picture.
Are these brushes the same as LRP's Silver P Brush? I heard that associated was going to import these to the states, but it seems that they renamed them. Or are they different than the LRP's?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

It's about time nuclear engineers paid attention to the RC world.

Finally, a brush that will last longer in my well "Modified" 19 turn motors.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

30 runs on a mod? any turn! maybe the brushes would last that long, but if they are made of such a material that can put up with that much punishment certainly your commutator would have been cut maybe 30 times as well, if you can even squeeze that many out of it, cause no matter how good you clean the brushes they always have some contaminants to them that in turn will wear out the commutator, that in using new brushes would not.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Matt Howard
If your racing mod TC at a high level then you're probably burning up your brushes EVERY RUN. Lets just say a pair of brushes cost $4, so that's $4 a run. The new Reedy brushes are "supposed" to last around 30 runs, that comes out to $1 a run compared to the $4 a run we do now. If your not racing mod TC and burning up brushes every run then you don't need these brushes.
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can anybody say Tamiya 4 hour Enduro!!!!
Without using brushless!!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Is it a tiny bit funny that ROAR has a price cap on motors but no brushes?

While if they last the time they say, it's better in the long run, but I can't see paying that much...where's that LRP ESC? Ma¥be it's a quick way to push everybody to brushless faster.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Or kill mod on the local level.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

These brushes have been out in Europe for a while, and it didn't kill Mod.. As usual, something new comes out, and it's all doom and gloom. Remember the original Paradox? what was suppose to 'kill' the stock class too, if you went by on-line forums....
Old 11-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Aww...scared of a widdle bit of change?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Guys, I bet these are the same or VERY similar to the CS High silver Powermax brushes that I was talking about on this forum a few months back. Do a search to dig up the info from then.

These brushes are a great investment!

My experience with these brushes:

I run 12T modified as this is the limit here in Europe (not for much longer though). With the batteries we have today we can most of the time get away with timing the motors to the max. So I do that…

I have used these brushes on several motors (Orion Core, Reedy Kr, Reedy Ti, Hudy Crome….). What this brush does is putting a layer of “silver coating” on the comm. This layer prevents comm. Wear and prolongs brush life. This is the best explanation I have anyway.

I have run over 50 packs through an Orion Core 12X1 with max timing without any significant performance loss. I then skimmed the comm (one pass) and it was back to 100% perfect surface. The brushes were slightly shorter but just as silver and shiny as new. These brushes does not get discoloured! I’ve tried to kill them to see how much punishment they can handle. But no, they can anything I’ve put them through.

I’ve been told that these brushes were developed for racing on extremely large Europeean tracks in extreme heat. I don’t know if this is the case but I’m pretty sure they would be perfect for that.

Yes, this brush is expensive. The only store how have them around here sells them for around 20USD (today’s exchange rate). But compare them with regular brushes and do the math…

So quiting RC because it got cheaper? Yea, that sounds like good idea...

Last edited by OleC; 11-25-2004 at 12:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.