Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can only comment on the one i have mounted on my Sakura Zero.
They are good.
No problems so far and i have used and abused the car from the end of last year.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by PizzaDude
How do 3racing suspensionmounts compare to original Tamiya ones?
(quality-wise)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Your fast Rogier
Very fast

regards Roy
Ps you don't have a 416 some where lurking ready to be sold??
my 416x wil be sold after ets final round in andernach.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Marcel,

Pm me as i have 2 mates of mine who are looking for one.
Send me some pic's and price on what you have in mind for the car and what is with the car.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by marcel p
my 416x wil be sold after ets final round in andernach.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tron
I think FX2 is too aggressive for run-in tires and causes some overheat issues especially on asphalt...making the run inconsistent.
FX2 is the least aggressive I've run so far... T-Cube was ok, and LRP carpet 2 (yes, carpet on asphalt) was waaaaay too aggressive. I've also tried Tweak, MR, and CS, and FX2 still comes out the best.

Bear in mind though that the additive procedure I'm using is not exactly standard. Don't wipe the tires, just apply 10mins before the run, then hit the track with them still wet. No warmers either. Honestly, if I could get away without running additive I would, but with the tyre hardness (36), it's needed to get them working right from the start.

Regards
Ed
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
FX2 is the least aggressive I've run so far... T-Cube was ok, and LRP carpet 2 (yes, carpet on asphalt) was waaaaay too aggressive. I've also tried Tweak, MR, and CS, and FX2 still comes out the best.

Bear in mind though that the additive procedure I'm using is not exactly standard. Don't wipe the tires, just apply 10mins before the run, then hit the track with them still wet. No warmers either. Honestly, if I could get away without running additive I would, but with the tyre hardness (36), it's needed to get them working right from the start.

Regards
Ed
Wouldn't heating them, help you with that?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TryHard
Don't wipe the tires, just apply 10mins before the run, then hit the track with them still wet. No warmers either
if u run the car with wet FX2 on tire, your car tend to spin, tire dont grip at all...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zamrioo2
if u run the car with wet FX2 on tire, your car tend to spin, tire dont grip at all...
No offence, but that isn't the case at all. On a normal type asphalt track I would absolutely agree with you, but for this track the traction is mega high, and literally the wet doesn't stay for even half a lap. When we're running 10min races (with 11.5's) anything to extend additive life is a good thing!

Warming works to an extent, but the grip is just that much higher than anything else I've run on, bar the TITC track, that it just isn't needed in combination with the right additive schedule. Pretty much like a carpet track really...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Little bit random, but I got my titanium turnbuckles today (TRF official ones) and they look green not blue! Anyone else had that? Or are they greeny blue nowadays? (looks aweful on the car.. Shallow I know)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Little bit random, but I got my titanium turnbuckles today (TRF official ones) and they look green not blue! Anyone else had that? Or are they greeny blue nowadays? (looks aweful on the car.. Shallow I know)
Although the ones I purchased are TRF blue I've seen them in the color you describe. Not pretty, but they work just the same.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The new gear diff seems pretty great. It's so... white. The plastic they used for the housing is unusual. I built it like Jilles suggested, with 3 shims and the crown gears filed down flat. No issues in 17.5. I'll test it out with some mod next week.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The new gear diff seems pretty great. It's so... white. The plastic they used for the housing is unusual. I built it like Jilles suggested, with 3 shims and the crown gears filed down flat. No issues in 17.5. I'll test it out with some mod next week.
huh? i thought u were XRay for life now?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
huh? i thought u were XRay for life now?
It's a very nice car, and has the predictable, stable feel on the track the Tamiya sometimes lacks. But right now, it's slower. I'm going to put some time in trying out some other setup ideas next week.

In the meantime, the 417 is behaving well enough if I make it push a little and steer with some throttle/brake.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Default Split suspension mount brace

So, as in one of my previous posts, I thought I'd try making up a brace to match the stiffness of the one-piece suspension mounts, when using the split suspension mounts.

Thankfully I had a damaged 417 chassis plate that I could use, and cut a thin strip of carbon from it (making it orientated longitudinally for stiffness), drilling a couple of holes using a one-piece mount as a guide. Then using some longer screws on the inner positions, a couple of 0.5mm spacers for belt clearance, bolted it all together.

Only other thing I did was sand some of the corners slightly to a curve, so as to not touch the block and introduce tweak into the chassis.

It's a bit rough and ready, but should do the trick to try and see if I can feel any difference next time out If it works well enough, I'll make one up for the rear of the car as well. I should mention that it does make changing the roll centres a bit of a pain, as you need to use on the flat tamiya nut wrenches to undo the bolts without taking the bulkheads off (they block a nut driver getting in).

Also attaching a picture of my car from last weekend
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-split-block-brace.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-ec417-160611.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Turillo
Although the ones I purchased are TRF blue I've seen them in the color you describe. Not pretty, but they work just the same.

Cheers
Thanks, it's annoying as they were described as blue on the listing.. Why would anyone want that colour?

Tryhard - the brace looks interesting. I think 3 racing make carbon suspension block parts(they come with their alum blocks) so people could use them instead if having to source and cut carbon.

Be interesting to see how it performs.

Last edited by Qatmix; 06-22-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

its kinda hard to get an exact shade of blue when anodizing titanium as the process relies on a specific voltage passed through the piece (instead of using a dye like when anodizing aluminum).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.