Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
For 5-6 minutes and not trying to get the motor as cool as possible, I like the 2050 on 20 teeth. The RPM's would be 45,510 at 22.2 volts. The motors usually don't get to their max because of other forces, but on the other hand, the battery is going to start out with about 25 volts...51,250 rpms! My chart shows speed in the 72 mph range...the total roll out on the Kyosho using this gearing and 73 mm rear tires is 42.81 mm on my chart. Perhaps you can compare this to your roll out. I know if I geared for that speed on my car I would be a bit faster than the nitros. I may be wrong, but I believe that when I have geared for this speed I was a bit faster than the nitros.
Great...you already did the 2050 and your car did not ended up in FIRE, good news....that means I can do mine and hopefully have a good result.

I will definitely start with the 18T then up to 20T as my max. Playing with some setting on Hotwire and will see hows that go on the 1/8th track. 73mph is plenty fast versus 1/8th nitro...I remember they clocked Swaunger/Cyrul @ Byron Challenge last year where around 70+/- only....

My expectation is...the brushless 1/8th will out corner the nitro version cause the electric motor has a better "GET GO" then the centax clutch....straight line speed does not really matters to me.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Solara
Great...you already did the 2050 and your car did not ended up in FIRE, good news....that means I can do mine and hopefully have a good result.

I will definitely start with the 18T then up to 20T as my max. Playing with some setting on Hotwire and will see hows that go on the 1/8th track. 73mph is plenty fast versus 1/8th nitro...I remember they clocked Swaunger/Cyrul @ Byron Challenge last year where around 70+/- only....
I have not tested the 2050 in the on-road. I have used a 1700 kv and a 2650 on 4S and, of course, my current design, the 1400 kv on 6S. With that said, I don't think you'll have an issue with 2050 and the smaller pinion gear. However, with THAT said, I can't emphasize enough the importance of good quality cells. Sadly, I don't think the Zippy's are good enough, regardless of their C rating, to handle the requirements. I had quite a few failures of my MMM before I put the capacitor on it because of the "wavy" current that would come out of the cells. From what I was told, this unclean current would eventually knock out the standard, on board caps and once those were blown would attack the board itself. I eventually went with different cells (and the cap) and I didn't have any more problems. Now, I use SMC and the RX8 with no additional caps. It seems to be ok.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

I have not tested the 2050 in the on-road. I have used a 1700 kv and a 2650 on 4S and, of course, my current design, the 1400 kv on 6S. With that said, I don't think you'll have an issue with 2050 and the smaller pinion gear. However, with THAT said, I can't emphasize enough the importance of good quality cells. Sadly, I don't think the Zippy's are good enough, regardless of their C rating, to handle the requirements. I had quite a few failures of my MMM before I put the capacitor on it because of the "wavy" current that would come out of the cells. From what I was told, this unclean current would eventually knock out the standard, on board caps and once those were blown would attack the board itself. I eventually went with different cells (and the cap) and I didn't have any more problems. Now, I use SMC and the RX8 with no additional caps. It seems to be ok.
Too bad I don't have someone like SMC to provide support on my project. I have no choice but using the Turnegy packs for the testing...
I think I have to really RUN IT and come back letting you know hows that happen....

Man...how much money you have spend for LIPO and how many bad lipo you have went thru..? I kinda afraid to hear your answrer..LOL
Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Solara
Too bad I don't have someone like SMC to provide support on my project. I have no choice but using the Turnegy packs for the testing...
I think I have to really RUN IT and come back letting you know hows that happen....
I wish I had the full support of SMC too! I still have to buy the packs! LOL

I don't even want to comment on the second part of your post! To be honest, I do think I should have had a bit more support from some of the other vendors...I've paid for all this on my own dime! (I wish it were only a dime!!! LOL)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
East bay pete: do you got a carbon lower deck?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

I wish I had the full support of SMC too! I still have to buy the packs! LOL

I don't even want to comment on the second part of your post! To be honest, I do think I should have had a bit more support from some of the other vendors...I've paid for all this on my own dime! (I wish it were only a dime!!! LOL)
On the side note....money is actually a EASY PART....I have seen mulitple VIDEO regarding these type of on road conversion, by using the wrong stuff, or drove the wrong way, or hit the wrong stuff....and puff, in a big FIRE BALL. That...is something I would not want to see, especailly on a 1/8th circuit track with NITRO cars around...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

East bay pete: do you got a carbon lower deck?
I use the stock aluminum chassis utilizing the stock motor mount holes for my motor mount. One nice thing about the aluminum is that, like in nitro cars, it helps pull away heat from the motor, something that carbon fiber can't do.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Tech Addict

I use the stock aluminum chassis utilizing the stock motor mount holes for my motor mount. One nice thing about the aluminum is that, like in nitro cars, it helps pull away heat from the motor, something that carbon fiber can't do.
I don`t think that extra weight is a gain because of the cooling.
Remember the motor needs to run harder to get up to same speeds as a lighter carbon car would.

Have you tried?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don`t think that extra weight is a gain because of the cooling.
Remember the motor needs to run harder to get up to same speeds as a lighter carbon car would.

Have you tried?
I haven't tried a carbon chassis. When I was drag racing this car, I had wanted to get my hands on one, but then I started to concentrate on redesigning the car to relocate the battery so I could put the car on the on-road track.

I guess I would like to try it, but the cost of obtaining one vs. the unknown performance improvement vs. trying to find where I could get a carbon chassis made me give up on that idea.

Do you know where to get one for the Evolva 05 or M3?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry, i do not. But i have seen it beeing posted on Redrc, perhaps not for evolva 05 0r m3 but it sure has been posted for some 1/8 track car.

Lets ask in the nitro section.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Which one is better for 4S in 966e? MMM 2200kV or 2650kV motor?
Will the 2200kV motor fit ? (75.15mm length)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by darmawaa
Which one is better for 4S in 966e? MMM 2200kV or 2650kV motor?
Will the 2200kV motor fit ? (75.15mm length)
Not really sure which fits in the 966e. I think you could get away with either kv. I'm running a 1400 kv on 6s which is about 31,000 rpms. The 2200 on 4S would be about 32,500, so it should be ok except for the fact that you'll have to gear it a bit higher and it's less efficient than a lower kv motor on 6S. Higher voltages are always better to run.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Were you guys thinking about this Carbon chassis for the 966?
I think I recall the one on redrc also.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5827465

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...nChassis-1.jpg

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...conversion.jpg

Last edited by YoDog; 05-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by YoDog
Hey Rick...thanks for the input. I couldn't find any way to obtain that Kyosho chassis...is it for the Evolva for sure? Aside from that, do you think it's worth giving up the heat transfer in exchange for lightening the chassis in exchange for the cost? I guess there's also stiffness to consider as well.

On another note, I don't suppose you are, but are you coming to RAMS for the 2 day this month? I can't be there for the 23rd, but I might stop by to see the turnout on the 22nd.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey pete,
not too sure about the 2 day race. fund shortage...

They state in the redrc page that they make one for the Evolva but I only copied the picture for this post.

I was wondering, what are the dimensions of your 6s battery pack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.