Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One word - NORMAL.

All the Type A 60D's do it. And there's no real way around it. Raising the ride height helps, but then the car doesn't work...

Putting the moulded insert on the Outside (next to the tread) helps a little with a double stuffed set, but the bottom line is you gotta live with this sort of wear on Type A 60D's.

Getting 6 heats and 2 finals out of a set of fronts is actually pretty good!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks Tony. Coming from a touring car background I though I was doing something wrong. Anyway, is there a better tyre/insert/wheel combo available? I understand there has been a fair bit of change in this area lately with changes in compund and some manufacturers dropping right out.

Also, thanks for your efforts on the mini website. A truly helpful resource.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yep, Tony's right- that's a pretty normal wear pattern for Type A's, especially with the higher speeds on asphalt attained with a sport tuned motor. My guess is that your track also has a fairly long main straight with a left turn/sweeper at the end of it leading into the infield- that puts a lot of strain on the inside of the tire. You can swap the fronts left to right after each heat (although some drivers swear that the tires wear-in in one direction, but that's a whole other discussion) and that will extend their death, but at the end of the day they're just gonna wear out.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shock help

Help a little bit fellas,

Built my shocks(mini platics ones) the other night for my mini, VERY careful to assemble them with the 6mm spacers, install on the car check ride height and got it to 5mm. Checked uptravel and seemed too much 3 front and 2.5 rear. I was able to space the fronts to limit uptravel to just 1mm but rear spacing did not allow retainer on the shock. Had to install the spring then screw on end and retainer together. Is it possible that a car that turns so much has to have that much rear uptravel?
Racing Saturday and thinking I might be in for a quick shock rebuild to changes this but what do you mini gurus think?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i dunno... my double stuffed As were ran for the entire 2006 TCS Memphis and the Beat the Heat race the same year, and still dont show any signs of the Death Groove yet. ill start with them this year as well... bur i do have a new set, just in case!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Memphis and Laurel are different animals. Both are very easy on tires. Either that or you're just slow

Plus, we also run silver cans and I think he's running black cans = higher speed and more scrub.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Memphis and Laurel are different animals. Both are very easy on tires. Either that or you're just slow

Plus, we also run silver cans and I think he's running black cans = higher speed and more scrub.
tis true... i have been known to be slow at times! mainly when i race. whats the age limit to fit into the "Old Guys Rule" club? i may be there!

i forgot about the black can deal... im sure that would wear more.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
... My guess is that your track also has a fairly long main straight with a left turn/sweeper at the end of it leading into the infield- that puts a lot of strain on the inside of the tire. .....
Rccardr - you picked it like a nose. Long front straight (for a mini) where we hit top speed before half way, with a high speed left sweeper at the end. Looks like I'll just have to stock up on spare sets.

Thanks for ther help guys.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey all,

I picked up a hardcase lipo pack that I'd like to run in at least one of my Mini's. Those of you who've done this with something other than the 3200 Orion know that the corners of the case interfere with the battery hole through the chassis. I know it's not TCS-legal, but what's the best way to relieve the battery corners into the battery hole in the chassis? If it was just either side of the chassis it would be easy-peazy, but the battery hole is really an oblong tube so as far as I can tell I'll have to notch both sides of that tube for it's entire width.

Thanks,

Scottrik
Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
jas
Tech Apprentice

Default Tires for street running

Hi all,
What will be the good tires for general street running? I think the Spice, Ride, etc. are just too expensive if not for racing on a track, unless they can out last the inexpensive ones, then their cost can be justified.
TIA.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You're in HK? Then that's an easy question.

For $4.00pr you cant beat the Xpress tires (here) for bashing... Or the 3 racing equivalent which are $6.00....
Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM
jas
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, Tony.
I don't know about the Xpress, but I've seen and touched the 3Racing, feels extremely hard... . May be that's why it's good for street use?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Anybody know?

Originally Posted by todd8603
Help a little bit fellas,

Built my shocks(mini platics ones) the other night for my mini, VERY careful to assemble them with the 6mm spacers, install on the car check ride height and got it to 5mm. Checked uptravel and seemed too much 3 front and 2.5 rear. I was able to space the fronts to limit uptravel to just 1mm but rear spacing did not allow retainer on the shock. Had to install the spring then screw on end and retainer together. Is it possible that a car that turns so much has to have that much rear uptravel?
Racing Saturday and thinking I might be in for a quick shock rebuild to changes this but what do you mini gurus think?
This setup worked well on carpet with silver can.

Last edited by todd8603; 04-06-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
Well, had the frist run out with my Mini and it's exige this weekend. What can I say, it was excellent, car ran flawlessly all day. Only issues was when I bolted on brand new S-grips, (rather than the worn M's) way too much steering! Think I need to go to 6mm of shims in the rear shocks when running the S's. Still motor and battery performed faultlessly, and was really suprised with the level of brakes the car has

Did a bit of an endurance run at one point, and with a Orion 3200 LiPo, was at 20mins runtime before I decided to pull the car off, rather than risk the pack (even with a LiPo cutoff enabled on the speedy). Makes running the car easy, as just need to top up the pack for each run.
Interestingly enough, the motor was barely even warm, so really happy with it. Now just to get the BL2 motor, and away we go.

Oh, also picked up a foam bumper (by Square, here) for the mini too, works really well, and helps protect the shell wonderfully

Cheers
Ed
I see you are running 60D's up front, what are you running in the rear?

Also are you guys gluing the rubber to the rims?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spoook
I see you are running 60D's up front, what are you running in the rear?

Also are you guys gluing the rubber to the rims?
I was running M-grip 60D's in the front, double stuffed, and the same in the rear, but only with a medium foam. I tried some S-Grips all round for the last run... way too much steering, so need to limit the rear droop more I think.

And yes, all my tyres are glued to the rims.

HiH
Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.