Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ceramic vs. stock motor bearings..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I did have a ceramic fail, that is why I started this.... one of the balls broke 3 or 4 little pieces... I sent it back to Amain along with the other 5 new ceramics I just got for an exchange for steel bearings..... the few people I have talked to told me the same thing (that the ceramics do not last as long and they will fail before steel) so I am not out but $4 for shipping, so now I have steel boca bearings on the way....
Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i have used alot of different bearings in my engines and have found most tko products to be great !! no failure ! i have used 14x25.4mm C , 14x25.8mmC , 7x19x6mmXC front bearing . i have not used 14.5x26mm C (plus 21 size) cause when i checked the bearing out at the hobby shop it had more play in the bearing than any i had ever seen , even worn out ones !!! and i am not putting that in my engine !!! the performance results are vast , smoother , higher revving , lower temps, less harmonic vibration resulting in less clutchbell bearing failure. personally i take my engines apart and clean them after every 3/4 to 1 gallon of fuel ran through the engine for close inspection the boca ceramics are good , and the boca steel bearings are better than most steel bearings on the market , these are what i recommend for 14.5x26mm applications
later , monty
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well guys this is how bearing life has been for me , I seem to get about 12 gallons of fuel through the stock rear bearings and then replace them with TKO ceramics ,the fronts all the stock ones only lasted maybe a gallon before the engine started to act up , I changed them out for Double Sealed bearings
and have never looked back PERIOD !!! You can leave the second seal on them , just get high temp high speed bearings , I forget the specs as it has been 3 years since I have changed them !! What I do know is they are made in England and have brown colored seals . They work PERFECT! As for the rear bearings all my engines take the 14mmx 25.4 bearings ,as of right now I don't have any with ceramics in them ,but that is about to end asI am going to put ceramics in my 421B for next season.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

the boca front 7x19x6mm front bearings come double sealed . havent had the best results with leaving both seals on the front bearing though ! the bearing doesnt seem to get enough lube while engine is running and starts harmonic vibration which causes bearing to spin slower than crank , leaving a rust type residue and scratched crank not advised
later , monty
Old 12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On all the Boca Bearings with front and back seals, I pluck out one seal and run them open on the back. They will get the lube needed, and I can't see leaving them sealed with Kluber grease alone. The new Nova double front sealed bearings look trick though.