Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

with regards to Yokomo G compound tires,
G2 means "G compound, 2 pairs"
The 139G has a more rounded profile than the 138, this should help in rolling resistance and wear rate I guess.
The G2 are definately not the hardest of the G series, if anything, they seem to be the "qualifier" tires as they didnt last that long with the kind of high surface temperature we run in here at the Equator.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Me too...

Yeah, I like working on my cars too. I like the satisfaction of when they work well...

I think the rubber is also thinner on the 139s.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

About yokomo tires, difference between 138 and 139 series is the thickness of the rubber. 139 has thinner rubber. But the surface shape of both series are the same. So when you use the same insert(say Yokomo 037F) in 138 and 139 tires, you will find that there is some space between the 139s and the insert but not(or less) on 138s.
Like NightKidZ said "2" just mean 2 pairs.
About hardness, its like this:-
M-----------------GS-----------G-----------GF-----------GH
extra soft-------soft---------medium----firm---------hard
Old 09-28-2001, 01:50 PM
Tech Rookie

?

say I ordered a bearing set for an older model yokomo YR4 would the whole set fit in a MR4
Old 09-29-2001, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

Wink

The diff outdrive bearings could be used. Thats about it.

Best to buy a Bearing set specifically for the MR4.

Last edited by Simon K; 09-29-2001 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Thanks all for the info on Yoke tyres. Mars, I knew you would come up with the most detailed answer. Thanks. So the 139G2 is the thinner crown tyre of the two. and it is a medium compound. Are the 138Gs much heavier than the 139G?

Josh ran a set of 139Gs for 3 runs, and I have done another 3 runs on them so far. They seem to be doing all right, and certainly haven't lost any grip. Do any of you suggest additive with them?

Darkside. You're quite right, I do keep myself busy. I've actually been in the shop till midnight doing batteries, motors, etc almost all week, though i had an early night last night, even though i had planned to do my own car then. It will get done sometime before tomorrow I suppose.

Heard the news about first practice at Indy. I see Michael tops the list. Should be interesting today. Actually regarding my bit about underdogs, you are quite right; Montoya might have been among those at the start of the season but he is certainly no underdog now. Raikonen at Mc Laren next year should be interesting. I wonder how he will compare with Coulthard. looks like it's going to be another great season.

Our championship starts tomorrow, and Monday I start doing some serious work on the race car - that's the real one you see with my name on each post. The engine is in little pieces at the moment and the cylinder head is being repaired after it dropped a valve seat a couple of weeks ago. It was quite a mess, requiring a new piston from Cosworth, four new valves, guides and seats, and new bearings and oil pump while I'm at it. We have a hill climb in exactly 2 weeks so I'm going to have to put quite a few hours into it, to get it ready in time.

Speak to you Monday. I'm still hollering for JPM !

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:06 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Johnbull: yeah, talk to you Monday. I'm still hollerin' for anyone but him! LOL!

Well while your putting in the work on the real car, remember to throw in some time to the smaller one!
Old 09-29-2001, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

johnbull: I am not sure about the weight difference between 138 and 139. But this is certainly one of the reasons why some racers perfer 139 to 138. I use Maxtec MaxGrip additive on them.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

I hae some 139G's ordered for carpet. I'll be trying paragon ground effects and MAX TRACTION formula on them.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

Hi guys,

After several years of running another manufacturer TC, I finally got something new and different. I just finished putting together my SP and I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there different servo posts for the car? I have an Airtronics 94737 and it doesn't fit that well on the posts.

2. Are the two small screws located on each lower arm there to keep the hinge pin from coming out? I unfortunately stripped one and I was wonder if I can just put some Shoo-Goo on it.

Any building tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Denso
Old 10-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Hi all. Greetings from Malta.

Denso - welcome to Yokomo. Correct - the small screws are there to keep the pivot pins from falling out. I tapped the holes 3mm and now use small 3mm cap screws. They are less fiddly.

Darkside. You oh so nearly got it right. I thought about you when I saw Rubens take the lead. Pity because he deserved better luck. He was certainly flying.

What did you think to JPM....another great move....even Michael admitted it. Tough luck there too.

But it was nice to see Mika win. In over 40 years of following Grand Prix racing don't think I can remember another driver winning a GP after announcing his retirement - temporary or otherwise.

Yes it was a good race indeed.

We had our first Championship meeting yesterday. It poured with rain in the morning making the track real tricky, but dried out by mid afternoon.

The racing was good and I finished off 3rd and 2nd in my heats with overall results of 6th and 5th. Can't complain. The car ran well and was super fast on the straights, and still gave me plenty of time. I ran a Corally 12 double motor which made it much easier on the throttle.

Mark Debattista, who writes as Senna had a good day with his Special too, winning one of the Stock finals. Well done Mark.

This afternoon I have started doing some serious work on the real race car as we are due to race Sunday week. I'm taking a few days break from R/C to get it done.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Johnbull: I'm sure you got to enjoy the race a lot more than the people in this country did! The ABC networks coverage was........ummm.......how can I put it.........TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, MORONIC, PATHETIC! At hem(clears throat)! I think that covers it!

Try to imagine this while watching the race: team names pronounced wrong, driver names pronounced wrong, misinformation about the cars, drivers, teams, and just about everything else!

According to the ABC pitlane people, the drivers are in control of "steering and brakes" and everything else is "automatic". The Sauber team is now the "Saber"(as in a small curved knife) team. They didn't even acknowledge that McLaren and Ferrari were on different tire compounds. They couldn't tell which car was which or who was driving them.

If Bernie was hoping to increase the popularity by allowing ABC to cover the race, they failed horribly. If I were someone who had never seen F1 before and was watching that broadcast, I would think that the cars were illhandling, with drivers who are only along for the ride while the cars are controlled pretty much from the pits. So much for getting good coverage for the sport in this country.

Last edited by Darkseid; 10-02-2001 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Johnbull: Oh, and I was also thinking of what I told you when Rubens was pulling in Mika like a hooked fish! I was impressed to hear Micheal say he would have rather it happened to him that Rubens. He appeared to actually mean it.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Darkside,

I totally agree with you on the coverage. Eddie Cheever made sure to say that these were the best "Road Course" Drivers in the world. I mean I like oval just as much as the next guy, but c'mon, the best drivers period. As far as Nascar goes, I think there may be just two guys that have the mental capacity to handle F1. Gordon and Stewart. I didn't say thay could win, just compete, just that they both would have the mental capacity to understand, you know what I mean. In CART maybe Helio, Brack. Andretti, hahaha. IRL forget it. Any way Cheever is an idiot. He can't even finish an IRL race without doing something completely boneheaded. He shouldn't have even been in the booth. What a joke. I have been trying to avoid seeing who won the race. I am waiting for the Speedvision broadcast next weekend. I only have 6 days to try and avoid seeing who won. I think I already know, but oh well.

Last edited by StMedina; 10-01-2001 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Darkside,

could you imagine somebody like Jimmy Spencer in a F1 car

I am laughing just thinking how he would fit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.