Wiki Posts
Search

Transponders Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Transponders Question

This again may be vary obvious.....but..I do not run a transponder in my truck. The race director just hand counts my laps when I race. I would like to get a transponder so I can practice and see my lap times and see improvements. If I buy a used transponder, how to I program it? I mean when I see the other racers they cross the line and it says "BOB SMITH." Or whatever their name is. Sorry for stupid questions. Thanks for the answers!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You don't program anything - your transponder has a number - after you enter a race with it once, the program should assign that number to you, even if someone else was using it before and from there, it will do the name announcing thing.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Tech Lord

If you buy a used transponder be sure to get a non MyLaps registerd one. If it is registerd to the 1st user his name will be listed in your practise laps. Getting it on your name is a difficult precedure so be sure to get a non registerd or just buy a new one.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ben,

I see you are in the Phoenix area, where Dennis Crippen is/was the race director for many races and uses his "famous" FUZZY DOT scoring system.

Simply BUYING a transponder won't get you lap times if you race at his races...the transponder sends a signal to a scoring system...but Dennis doesn't use that system.

If you are racing w/ the old Gilbert guys at the NEW Location, I believe they do have the AMBrc/MyLaps type scoring system - which WILL pick up your lap times (when in use) -- get a used AMBrc or MyLaps 2 wire transponder... and once the race director puts your name and number in their scoring computer, you'll be able to get lap times from them if/when the scoring computer is in "practice" mode, or your race results in race mode.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Suspended

ben

1st see what timing system your local track is using..
then buy that type of transponder I recomend not buying the black mylaps transponders as most tracks have upgraded system and it will not read those..

The track director will need to add your transponder # into there system then your set.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Ben,

I see you are in the Phoenix area, where Dennis Crippen is/was the race director for many races and uses his "famous" FUZZY DOT scoring system.

Simply BUYING a transponder won't get you lap times if you race at his races...the transponder sends a signal to a scoring system...but Dennis doesn't use that system.

If you are racing w/ the old Gilbert guys at the NEW Location, I believe they do have the AMBrc/MyLaps type scoring system - which WILL pick up your lap times (when in use) -- get a used AMBrc or MyLaps 2 wire transponder... and once the race director puts your name and number in their scoring computer, you'll be able to get lap times from them if/when the scoring computer is in "practice" mode, or your race results in race mode.

I am really close to hobbytown at Greenway and the 101. Do you know what they use there?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:38 AM
Suspended

here call them and ask Id say from some reading and AMB RC4 is your ticket..
HobbyTown USA / SRS
3401 W Greenway RD
Phoenix, AZ 85053
(480) 945-2186
Hours:
Monday: 10am - 10pm
Tuesday: 10am - 10pm
Wednesday: 10am - 10pm
Thursday: 10am - 10pm
Friday: 10am - 12am
Saturday: 10am - 12am
Sunday: 11am - 8pm
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
If you buy a used transponder be sure to get a non MyLaps registerd one. If it is registerd to the 1st user his name will be listed in your practise laps. Getting it on your name is a difficult precedure so be sure to get a non registerd or just buy a new one.
I know this is an older thread but in case someone new is reading it..... to sum it all up

The registration mentioned above only applied to online lap time retrieval from the my laps website. For at track name tagging it is as mentioned earlier. The transponder gives off a number code, as written on the top of the transponder. During races the director/announcer will assign that number to your name and it will/should be saved into the track computer. This will then show it as yours during practice sessions.