Wiki Posts
Search

Two questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Two questions

Just looking at the ROAR regulations for weight on an electric offroad buggy which is 1499 grams minimum. It mentions it includes the transponder but does it include the battery?

Also if a buggy has a three geared transmission. What is this exactly? Is this better than a single transmission?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Min weight is as a car will go on the track so it includes, literally everything.

Three gear transmissions are what all RM buggies have (top shaft, idler and diff gear) and the B5ML does - it takes one idler gear out of the normal 4-gear mm (top shaft, two idlers, diff gear) setup and puts the motor on the other side of the car. This decreases rotating mass and drivetrain drag to increase acceleration but tends to decrease rear traction because the inertia of the motors' rotor is now spinning against the normal rearward weight transfer.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use 7g wheel weights, but is that what you all use as well (in 2015 that is)?.. I've been away for a while.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I use 7g wheel weights, but is that what you all use as well (in 2015 that is)?.. I've been away for a while.
Because most cars are often so far under weight today, the trend is towards putting thin but heavier weights under the battery pack like these. It takes 3 of those and a 45g front bulkhead to get my 2w buggy to 1500g for example. On the other hand, if you only need a few grams, the wheel weights still work well.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you for the response. Makes a lot more sense now.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
Because most cars are often so far under weight today, the trend is towards putting thin but heavier weights under the battery pack like these. It takes 3 of those and a 45g front bulkhead to get my 2w buggy to 1500g for example. On the other hand, if you only need a few grams, the wheel weights still work well.
Ahh! Thanks for the info!

So much for lightweight chassis and parts (especially $$$ titanium screws) if we have to weight it all down, huh?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Ahh! Thanks for the info!

So much for lightweight chassis and parts (especially $$$ titanium screws) if we have to weight it all down, huh?
The advantage to the lightweight parts is that you can place weight where it would benefit you more. You could lower the overall center of gravity, add weights towards the rear wheels to assist with traction, etc.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WRXnItUp
The advantage to the lightweight parts is that you can place weight where it would benefit you more. You could lower the overall center of gravity, add weights towards the rear wheels to assist with traction, etc.
Thanks, yeah I know. I was just being sarcastic.