Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Two questions >

Two questions

Two questions

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 274
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Two questions

Just looking at the ROAR regulations for weight on an electric offroad buggy which is 1499 grams minimum. It mentions it includes the transponder but does it include the battery?

Also if a buggy has a three geared transmission. What is this exactly? Is this better than a single transmission?
kiwiazbro is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 AM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Min weight is as a car will go on the track so it includes, literally everything.

Three gear transmissions are what all RM buggies have (top shaft, idler and diff gear) and the B5ML does - it takes one idler gear out of the normal 4-gear mm (top shaft, two idlers, diff gear) setup and puts the motor on the other side of the car. This decreases rotating mass and drivetrain drag to increase acceleration but tends to decrease rear traction because the inertia of the motors' rotor is now spinning against the normal rearward weight transfer.
MarkA is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 10:42 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I use 7g wheel weights, but is that what you all use as well (in 2015 that is)?.. I've been away for a while.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 11:09 AM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I use 7g wheel weights, but is that what you all use as well (in 2015 that is)?.. I've been away for a while.
Because most cars are often so far under weight today, the trend is towards putting thin but heavier weights under the battery pack like these. It takes 3 of those and a 45g front bulkhead to get my 2w buggy to 1500g for example. On the other hand, if you only need a few grams, the wheel weights still work well.
MarkA is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 02:35 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 274
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thank you for the response. Makes a lot more sense now.
kiwiazbro is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkA
Because most cars are often so far under weight today, the trend is towards putting thin but heavier weights under the battery pack like these. It takes 3 of those and a 45g front bulkhead to get my 2w buggy to 1500g for example. On the other hand, if you only need a few grams, the wheel weights still work well.
Ahh! Thanks for the info!

So much for lightweight chassis and parts (especially $$$ titanium screws) if we have to weight it all down, huh?
sakadachi is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
  #7  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 98
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Ahh! Thanks for the info!

So much for lightweight chassis and parts (especially $$$ titanium screws) if we have to weight it all down, huh?
The advantage to the lightweight parts is that you can place weight where it would benefit you more. You could lower the overall center of gravity, add weights towards the rear wheels to assist with traction, etc.
WRXnItUp is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WRXnItUp
The advantage to the lightweight parts is that you can place weight where it would benefit you more. You could lower the overall center of gravity, add weights towards the rear wheels to assist with traction, etc.
Thanks, yeah I know. I was just being sarcastic.
sakadachi is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.