Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Sprint 2 Drift problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Sprint 2 Drift problem

Hey everyone, I'm not sure what seems to be the problem but I was having a blast drifting for like 20 minutes in front of my house. I go to give the car some throttle and it begins to stutter, but when I pick it up and give it throttle it runs smooth and quick but eventually begins to stutter again.

Could this be because of the battery running out of juice? Any suggestions on how to fix this? And can Sprint 2's run lipo batteries? Or do I have to modify something first before I can.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JaySushi
Hey everyone, I'm not sure what seems to be the problem but I was having a blast drifting for like 20 minutes in front of my house. I go to give the car some throttle and it begins to stutter, but when I pick it up and give it throttle it runs smooth and quick but eventually begins to stutter again.

Could this be because of the battery running out of juice? Any suggestions on how to fix this? And can Sprint 2's run lipo batteries? Or do I have to modify something first before I can.
20 minutes is actually a fairly long run for one go. The stutter was probably either you running out of juice or your ESC's thermal protection kicking in.

I don't know if that ESC can run a lipo but you can deduce that by looking at your manual and seeing if there is an option to turn on a lipo cut-off. However, even if there isn't, you could still run a lipo safely by installing this: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=NOV5476
Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkA
20 minutes is actually a fairly long run for one go. The stutter was probably either you running out of juice or your ESC's thermal protection kicking in.

I don't know if that ESC can run a lipo but you can deduce that by looking at your manual and seeing if there is an option to turn on a lipo cut-off. However, even if there isn't, you could still run a lipo safely by installing this: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=NOV5476
+1 to this.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

Also it will do that sometimes if one of the motor wires came partly or altogether disconnected from the Esc.(That is if its brushless)
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ALSO - Assuming you have the OEM brushed motor and the OEM ESC = HPI SC15 W = That esc is LiPo compatable according to the manual (my manual anyway).

BUT you have to reset the esc for LiPo use according to the manual FIRST, otherwise you could blow up the battery, etc....

I believe that esc has a low voltage cut off, as well. With my S2S the low voltage cutoff worked on the OEM Ni-MH battery as well as the LiPo. So, it could very well be low battery voltage.

Pushing a Ni-MH battery for 20 minutes is really stretching it.

Read the manual.