Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about over-discharging lipos.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Question about over-discharging lipos.

I recently picked up my first electric RC vehicle and am learning about lipos for the first time. I've used the following link to learn a lot:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

One of the biggest things I've read across the net is not to over-discharge lipo batteries, as that's pretty much a death keel for them.

The batteries I'm running with are all 2s 5000mah 40c. So I know that my batteries are 3.7 volts per cell, 7.4 volts total for a 2s lipo. A full charge is 4.2 on each cell, so 8.4 on my 2s lipos. The SCT I purchased is a RTR that comes with an ESC that has a cut-off at 6.0 volts for a 2s lipo.

My question is this: many places, including the the link above, state that you should quit running the battery when it drops down to 3.5-3.75 volts per cell. However, the cut-off is at 6.0 volts, or 3.0 volts per cell. Hell, the battery was shipped to me holding around 3.2 volts per cell.

So am I fine running the truck until it cuts off at 6.0 volts? Anything I should know in regards to this?

A bonus question: since the ESC has a 6.0 cut-off, will it just quit running when it gets that low? Will I ever realistically hit that 6.0 cut-off if I just quit driving when the truck is slowing down?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IIRC, the LVC should read the packs voltage under load. Which should give you a resting voltage of about 3.2-3.5v per cell. Long story short you should be just fine.

saying "should" is my little disclaimer
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
IIRC, the LVC should read the packs voltage under load. Which should give you a resting voltage of about 3.2-3.5v per cell. Long story short you should be just fine.

saying "should" is my little disclaimer
So the voltage will read differently while under load and while unplugged from the car? For example, if I had telemetry, I'd see a different voltage load while on the track but as soon as I unhook the battery from the car and put a multimeter to it, the voltage will show lower?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Resting voltage will be higher, after you take the pack out of the car and let it sit for a couple minutes you would likely see voltage in the 6.2v-6.5v range.

I don't see you having any issues.