Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless vs brushed wattage

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushless vs brushed wattage

Okay. Im looking at two setups. Both dual motor setups for an emaxx. I have one option to do two bigger brushed motors with about 309 watts per motor for 70 bucks. I can go dual brushless for like 160, and the motors will have about 378 watts each. I know that the brushless have more watts, therefore should be more powerful, and i know that the turn count and kv and voltage all affect the outcome, but will the brushless be worth the extra 90 bucks? will i notice more power simply using a brushless even with the wattage being close?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

even if both are the same, brushless will be worth the effort; much less maintenance needed
Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

You will notice more power in the long run as the brushed motors will fade if you don't rebuild them regularly. I originally choked on the price to switch to brushless but its the best thing I ever did.

Can you specify what motors exactly you are considering?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

the brushed dual 700 HO's from kershaw designs

brushless, idk, i got some suggestions from diff people, looking for an amoo motor...supposed to be comparable to a feigao 7 or 8 xl...plus ill need an esc. and ill prolly end up breakin stuff. so idk. lots of money with brushless due to the fatigue on the parts. plus ill need lipo batteries to make them run nice. and thats lots of money
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I assume you know you really don't need dual motors for a brushless setup - one BL motor is more than enough to fling an Emaxx around in the 40+mph range. I understand the need for bling and a dual BL setup is def a bling type setup, and overkill - unless thats what you're looking (and paying) for.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

yeah, but a good BL motor has like 1000 watts or more. I'm more worried about overpowering it and snapping my driveshafts, tranny gears, differentials, and all that other cool stuff. Plus ill need lipo batteries, and the charger. So its looking like itll be really expensive. What kind of pinion gearing do most people use? I assume lower teeth b/c the BL motors spin a lot higher rpms.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Lord

Depends - motor like Neus are happy 30-37000rpm. Starting with that and working backwards to find pinion to go with a reasonable speed. SOme mess up here trying to build one for an unreasonable speed. I run a Techno Neu 1515 1Y and use a 18, but I have buggy based diffs (Ofna) and a 51 spur so that pinion is tied into the rest of the gearing.

I started with a 8XL Feigao and used 14-16 trying to keep it cool - never did, Feigaos just run hot. About your concerns- they're very real - thats what got me where mine is now - breaking stuff or reading of someone who was running what I was planning and tearing that up. Thats the downside of BL - torque is sweet, but it finds all the weakness in your drivetrain.

A dual BL setup is going to be even harder on driveline cause of the extra weight.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

lol, yeah. thanks for reaffirming my fears.... but. i think im gonna go with a great planes ammo series motor(just one) from tower hobbies. has 815 watts on my current voltage. Wont need any lipos or anything for now.... ill post some vids when i get it built...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Tech Lord

Cool... I run an Ammo motor in one of my BL 18th scales and its been a great motor, don't think you'll be disappointed with them. Look forward to seeing your vids.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one thing thats better about a brushed motor is that it has a better drag break.

brushless motors you have to change out the rotor i think to get better
drag break