Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Why are ground receivers all 4 channel max? >

Why are ground receivers all 4 channel max?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MULMZ2
  • 1 Post By Roelof

Why are ground receivers all 4 channel max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Why are ground receivers all 4 channel max?

Is there an FCC compliance requirement that states ground receivers can’t be over 4 channel?
Old 06-08-2023, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

There's no such restriction.

Spektrum has a 5 channel receiver.

You can expand out a lot of Futaba receivers with S.Bus.

The bigger limit is how many channels the typical ground model needs, and how you would use those channels with the "typical" trigger and wheel transmitter layout.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Well considering the 7px is 7 channel and the 10px is 10 channel, you can’t really use the argument that you’re limited by the pistol grip controller.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

I'm going to guess that the reason why receivers/radios intended for surface haven't exceeded 4 channels yet is due to there not being a need for more channels up until about now. When hobby grade surface RC's first hit the scene there were no light kits, rear wheel steer, brake/fuel mixing, etc... it was just throttle, reverse/brake (if you had an ESC), and steering and for that time period that was good enough. If people start demanding that their surface radios have more features maybe a company will listen. To me it would make complete sense to have a radio that would let you cycle through rear wheel steer options on the fly, shift, engage/disengage dig, lock/unlock diffs, turn on/off lights, am I missing anything? I can see Traxxas being the first company to tackle this, it would mean they could sell more accessories for their crawlers and such and it would give them a reason to release a new TRX-4 with a new feature, dig.

To answer the question above, I have a Sanwa MT-S that has accessory switches and the ability to set parameters for said switches, so that is one way to add the additional channels to a pistol grip radio to perform functions that I listed above, another is to add buttons (easy to turn lights on/off).
Lonestar likes this.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 06-08-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

No need for not more and most of the time the needed minimized size are I think the main reasons. For the Futaba 7PX you can use an airplane receiver with 7 channels or expand through SBUS
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
There's no such restriction.

Spektrum has a 5 channel receiver.

You can expand out a lot of Futaba receivers with S.Bus.

The bigger limit is how many channels the typical ground model needs, and how you would use those channels with the "typical" trigger and wheel transmitter layout.

+1

Fly Sky aircraft Rx's are compatible with the surface based controller where Dasmikro once made a 16CH conversion, I'm sure this could be fully utilized for a battle bot, ha!

Here's a demo of the 8CH version that I bought and tested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy_tuBfK6-o
Old 06-09-2023, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cavi Mike
Is there an FCC compliance requirement that states ground receivers can’t be over 4 channel?
Here's a 5 channel surface receiver made by Traxxas. This is what's included with the TRX-4. 5 Channel Receiver Traxxas states on their site that the receiver is 5 channel and A-Main states that it's 4, so does anyone with a TRX-4 care to chime in? Are all 5 channels used on a TRX-4 with multi speed gear box and diffs that lock/unlock?

Real estate is hard to come by on some RC's, I personally don't see daisy chaining receivers as a solution to adding more channels. Are the surface radios that were suggested by people capable of assigning functions to those extra channels added when daisy chaining through the programming screen like the MT-S, because if that's not possible it's kind of pointless to add more channels if they cannot be individually controlled or programmed to operate as desired. I think the solution people may be looking for is 1 receiver that works with a radio that allows you to assign whatever is desired to a specified channel. Also take a look at the receiver/ESC that comes with the SCX-24, appears to be more than 4 channels.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
Here's a 5 channel surface receiver made by Traxxas. This is what's included with the TRX-4. 5 Channel Receiver Traxxas states on their site that the receiver is 5 channel and A-Main states that it's 4, so does anyone with a TRX-4 care to chime in? Are all 5 channels used on a TRX-4 with multi speed gear box and diffs that lock/unlock?

Real estate is hard to come by on some RC's, I personally don't see daisy chaining receivers as a solution to adding more channels. Are the surface radios that were suggested by people capable of assigning functions to those extra channels added when daisy chaining through the programming screen like the MT-S, because if that's not possible it's kind of pointless to add more channels if they cannot be individually controlled or programmed to operate as desired. I think the solution people may be looking for is 1 receiver that works with a radio that allows you to assign whatever is desired to a specified channel. Also take a look at the receiver/ESC that comes with the SCX-24, appears to be more than 4 channels.
I built an SCX10 III crawler a couple years ago with all the bells and whistles, steering, ESC, Hi/Lo, Dig (programmed 3 position), Dedicated Castle BEC and Light controller all plugged into a 5 channel Spektrum receiver.

Everything is programmable on the DX5 Pro I use for that (M17 for racing), steering and throttle as usual, high/low on a thumb rocker switch, 3 position dig on another thumb rocker to switch between the 3 set points of neutral and EPA each direction. Lights are set on a push button since the light controller just cycles through settings when it sees an input.

So yes, if you are using a high channel count with a suitable radio and receiver, you can use it all. You sometimes have to be creative on what button, rocker, or dial you assign to the function and take your time to set everything up so you don't burn up a servo, but that's also part of the hobby when doing some sometimes complicated setups.