Wiki Posts
Search

Did I ruin something? 4PLS issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Did I ruin something? 4PLS issues

Just recently switched from a Spektrum DX3R to a used 4PLS with a R204GFE receiver and initially the setup worked great in my truggy. The TX was bound to the RX when I received it so it was plug and play, this was the Model 2 slot on the TX. I also binded my crawler to the TX in the Model 1 slot with another brand new R204GFE and it worked fine initially. Last weekend I had a problem where the TX wasn't registering any forward/reverse at all on the crawler. I had servo control but no ESC control, the lights on the ESC would light up as if it were operating like normal but it wouldn't drive, only steer. During this time, I noticed reverse wasn't registering on the bars on the tx screen. I had to reverse the throttle channel to make the bar go the other direction; still wasn't able to drive, just steer. After this fiasco, I busted out the truggy to see if it still worked. Switched to Model 2 and was able to drive it around until I noticed reverse wasn't working like it should be. Again, the throttle bar on the tx wasn't registering reverse, the truggy would drive forward but wouldn't go backwards. WTF is going on?? Reverse would work when I set the brake trim to 100, which didn't seem right. After reading through the 4PLS manual, I thought I'd adjust the set screw on the TX that changes where the forward/reverse ends, now reverse started working again in the truggy. Woohoo!

After going back to the crawler to diagnose it, I unintentionally left it in the Model 2 settings for the truggy. This got the forward and reverse to work again but it wouldn't work when I switched back over to Model 1 on the TX. Finally gave up.
T
One thing I noticed after digging through the manual is the TX was set to SFH HIGH and apparently the RXs I got only work on SFH NORM. Now I have some questions:

Is this bound to mess something up?

Does the TX need to be sent back to be updated?

Running a BEC and HV servos in both trucks, I've disconnected the red wire from the ESC to the RX since thats how the DX3R worked well. Is that necessary for Futaba as well?

Really kind of bummed it hasn't been plug and play and almost seems buggier than Spektrum but maybe its something simple I'm overlooking.

Last edited by Dave H; 08-31-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Language
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Also, the truggy has an RX8 gen 2 and the crawler has a Mamba Max Pro, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would suggest using whatever settings you have on model 2 on model 1 as it seems to have worked, then see how it goes. Reset model 1 settings and start from scratch, I would recalibrate the esc to. The servo settings shouldn't affect your throttle but you should set them to match your servo's anyway. I have these receivers as well and haven't had any problems with them. Can't really help with the bec but you could try without it and see if you get a different result.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

I have reasonable suspicion the throttle potentiometer or a wire came loose in the radio. Now both trucks don't work and both ESCs aren't recognizing their respective receivers until I turn throttle trims all the way to brake. Its like they'll drive but I can only drive them through trims, not the trigger itself At neutral throttle on both trucks, the throttle bar on the screen stays in one spot and only moves a tiny bit in either direction. Sub trims are zeroed, throttle/brake end points are around 100 each. Gotta be something up with the radio itself. Through all of this, I have steering control with both trucks on ANY model I select on the transmitter. I thought I bound only 2 models since I have 2 trucks but this has thoroughly confused me. Calling Futaba tomorrow, fully expect to send this thing back to them
Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you haven't yet, definitely try recalibrating your ESCs as mentioned above.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Oh I have. On the RX8, it will register the neutral position but will not recognize forward or reverse. If I turn the throttle trim all the way to brake it might calibrate but then I'm calibrating with the trim WAY out so that won't work. Really wish I kept my Spektrum radio now
Old 09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Turns out Futaba is impossible to get ahold of for service, anyone want to buy a busted 4PLS?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

As an update, I pulled the transmitter apart to see where the throttle pot is and decided to clean it out with electronics cleaner since I saw some 4PK guys doing the same. Fixed every problem I was having
Old 07-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Think I just ran into the same problems you are having will try the electronic cleaner thing tomorrow
Old 07-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mushroomed
If you haven't yet, definitely try recalibrating your ESCs as mentioned above.
Agree with Mushroomed, Calibrate the ESC. Everytime you change TX & Rx you should recalibate. Reason, you change ESC it doesnt know where the motor is set. It has to know where the motor is at. especially brushless motor. As for the RX8 no forward and braking it doesnt know where direction it goes. Try reversing the motor. More a Tekins man i am. Recalibation is what I think everybody is missing. Peop;e should know how the Bind any RX & TX before you install it on the car.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An esc does not lose calibration to the radio when switching them. With that said perform a re calibration with the throttle channel reversed. Also there is defective 203/204 receivers out there that do weird things
Old 07-25-2020, 12:25 AM
Tech Lord

I think after 4 years the issue is solved..... For sure if you read post #8
Old 07-25-2020, 12:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I think after 4 years the issue is solved..... For sure if you read post #8
If you read post #9, someone has clearly done a search of the forum to find this thread and has posted because they are having a similar issue...