Like Tree17Likes

Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 242 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spu83
A new way to run blinky without boost ?
No as I'm sure 98% of the rc community understands that their radio epa goes past 100%. I always bring it up because of the 2%.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh L
So are you guys saying that this new ESC's BEC isn't really an improvement for HV servos? If I have to still run an external BEC then I don't feel like I am gaining anything over the SCT-Pro...
It's a 15a bec, how could it not be better? If you're running 2s & a hv servo then you don't need a bec anyway, if you're running 4s then yes you need a way to regulate the voltage down to a usable range.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 91bird
Update:
I removed the power wire from the ESC to the receiver. I then ran wires straight from the battery to the receiver. I'm running a 2S lipo with a high voltage servo. No more brown outs. This makes sense from an EE perspective as a voltage regulator will have some voltage drop and under heavy throttle the battery voltage droops thus taxing the BEC regulator even more. On a 2S 7.4V in and expecting 7.4V out isn't going to happen especially when the battery voltage dips to 6V. I also adjusted the BEC output in the settings to the lowest voltage hoping this might help in some way the internal circuits of the ESC. I would expect this same behavior on all makes of ESCs. Ways around the problem exist but not going to happen for $200 or less.
Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
It's a 15a bec, how could it not be better? If you're running 2s & a hv servo then you don't need a bec anyway, if you're running 4s then yes you need a way to regulate the voltage down to a usable range.
I didn't say it wasn't better, the fella I quoted above your quote ^ more or less said he thought it was giving him problems, so he ran the servo straight off the battery.
And I tried running my futaba 9352 servo strait from the battery once before, bypassing the the + - right off the servo to the pack, while the signal wire was left in place to the Rx as normal. I left ESC's internal BEC to run the Rx and I couldn't get my truck to stop glitching real bad with the servo wired direct like that.
I don't know if it would have had the same response or not if I would have just ran the battery to the Rx and bypassed the ESC BEC all together, but I was told by several it wouldn't matter how I chose to do it, it should work either way. All I know is it wouldn't work worth a damn wired that way and I ended up going back to a CC adjustable BEC to fix my problems. Even had a glitch buster installed to help with the load.
The reason I am concerned is because I don't really see where this ESC is worth the money if I am going to have to bypass the internal BEC once again to an external unit to make things work as they should.
That is how my SCT-Pro is now and it works fine.
Personally I don't really see where the programming of this thing for my application is a huge bonus as much as the idea of not needing an external BEC is.

Last edited by Josh L; 10-31-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

I didn't say it wasn't better, the fella I quoted above your quote ^ more or less said he thought it was giving him problems, so he ran the servo straight off the battery.
And I tried running my futaba 9352 servo strait from the battery once before, bypassing the the + - right off the servo to the pack, while the signal wire was left in place to the Rx as normal. I left ESC's internal BEC to run the Rx and I couldn't get my truck to stop glitching real bad with the servo wired direct like that.
I don't know if it would have had the same response or not if I would have just ran the battery to the Rx and bypassed the ESC BEC all together, but I was told by several it wouldn't matter how I chose to do it, it should work either way. All I know is it wouldn't work worth a damn wired that way and I ended up going back to a CC adjustable BEC to fix my problems. Even had a glitch buster installed to help with the load.
The reason I am concerned is because I don't really see where this ESC is worth the money if I am going to have to bypass the internal BEC once again to an external unit to make things work as they should.
That is how my SCT-Pro is now and it works fine.
Personally I don't really see where the programming of this thing for my application is a huge bonus as much as the idea of not needing an external BEC is.
Not sure why your servo would glitch that bad as wired, but as you stated it should have worked either way. Totally agree that the XR8 is not worth the coin versus the SCT Pro. We have 4 cars with the sct pro esc & 2 backups with no intention of switching.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

So are you guys saying that this new ESC's BEC isn't really an improvement for HV servos? If I have to still run an external BEC then I don't feel like I am gaining anything over the SCT-Pro...
On a 2s lipo and high current draw the voltage will drop enough to cause brownout conditions on a spektrum receiver. My testing has shown the brownout voltage on spektrum receivers to be ~3.3V.

Is it better or worse? Do some testing and compare the results to what I have shared.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Ran the xr8+ with 2s and 4s, Futaba 9352hv servo, no issues.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

On a 2s lipo and high current draw the voltage will drop enough to cause brownout conditions on a spektrum receiver.
Why I never run Spektrum.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Ran the xr8+ with 2s and 4s, Futaba 9352hv servo, no issues.
Some more information is needed.

What receiver?
What vehicle, 2wd/4wd?
Vehicle weight?
Motor used?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Some more information is needed.

What receiver?
What vehicle, 2wd/4wd?
Vehicle weight?
Motor used?
Tekno eb48sl with tekin4300hd, tekin 1850, hw 4000.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Tekno eb48sl with tekin4300hd, tekin 1850, hw 4000.
2S with the HW 4000 and 4300hd? Similar setup to what Im running with a SMC 4500 and a 2S Venom 100C pack. Any stuttering issues under acceleration? What settings are you using in the esc for timing and the acceleration boost (forgo the name)?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

2s packs from smc, track power and another brand.

No stuttering at all.

No timing (never use timing in 4sct or similar)

Stock throttle setting (did try settings 6,7,8) with no issues in any of the settings.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave H
If you setup the ESC with the radio set at 50% instead of 100%, then turn it up to 150%, will it be even faster?
Hahahaa! You guys are killing me.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave H
If you setup the ESC with the radio set at 50% instead of 100%, then turn it up to 150%, will it be even faster?
You can't get more than 100% out of a ESC, regardless how you physically or mechanically set the radio.
If you increase the EPA like your talking about, assuming you calibrated the full physical stroke range of the trigger, all you effectively have done is to short yourself on resolution. The bounds are dictated by what you told the ESC to do. Now if you calibrated the ESC with less physical pull that the full motion of the trigger can swing, then it will register the 100% end point before you actually get a full pull, which means you have now effectively created a dead section along the throttle.
Lets say you calibrated it at 75% pull. So at 75% of pull your registering 100% to the ESC value.
So with that being known, your not going to get more than you would at 75% through the remaining stroke from 75% to 100% swing of the trigger.
You just won't see a change and now have reduced the resolution once again, only this time on the physical side of the spectrum.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Wow... it's hard to believe what some people here actually believe about how these things work...

But it certainly creates some funny reading. (Just worried about the newbies to the hobby, who might actually believe some of the misinformation spread by some people )
Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DirkW
Wow... it's hard to believe what some people here actually believe about how these things work...

But it certainly creates some funny reading. (Just worried about the newbies to the hobby, who might actually believe some of the misinformation spread by some people )
I see the humor in it myself, but in their defense I didn't understand much at one point either. I started messing with RC when I was 8. That was 25 years ago now and things where so much simpler then. Charge your NiCds for 4 hours, plug it up and run for 5-10 minutes of glory!
That was about it. 27mhz and Mechanical speed controls where the standard in those days.
If I were handed something from today's industry back then it might as well have been a UFO. Here we are now with SMM chips, hyper-threaded processors and cell phones with 100's of time more power than our best desktops of the 90's.
But things are different now. The rat race goes well beyond capacitance overflow into the very root of social development. We are scarred with the idea of keeping up with trends and social acceptance to the point no one takes any real time to get in depth with anything anymore. It's rampant and easily revealed with one look at things people post about on facebook, and you name it alter reality entity. People want "like's" and will forgo anything of substance to get that instant gratification of worth.
My point is how it is insane how much a person really has to know these days to keep up with developments and still lead a normal life. And modern trends nearly hold no ground for realization or self correction.
There is almost no room much less the time to take it all in without missing out on something else...
The late great Carl Sagan put it this way> "We live in a world that is dependent upon science and technology, of which it's people know almost nothing of science and technology"...

I think it's obvious at this point it is up to us (those in the know) to concentrate on explaining things more freely with less contempt.
I personally love explaining things to people, regarding stuff they are ignorant about. I suspect it is one of the primary forces behind a forum that makes it a good place to be. I learn a lot still and always will I hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.