Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
cheapest tablet/android device to run hotwire? >

cheapest tablet/android device to run hotwire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cheapest tablet/android device to run hotwire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default cheapest tablet/android device to run hotwire?

ive been trying to figure out what would be the cheapest option to run the hotwire app, im kinda screwed, mac computer, ipad, and a blackberry

id literally be using the "device" only for programming my esc's, maybe firmware updating my other non tekin esc's, radios, charger.. im aiming at a dedicated hotwire, r/c only "computer"

cheap means under 50 bux if even possible, i dont really care for brand, features, just the most bare bones i would need to connect at a super cheap price
Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Lord

On ebay and some local shops you can find white label 7" Android tablets.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I use my phone. Galaxy 3s. It was free at Verizon but because it has been outdated by the Galaxy 4, 5 and now six.

You can get a cheap Android smart phone with WiFi and use that. $20 on E-bay...

But the only time I use my HotWire is to set my turbo. Everything else is done with the buttons...
Old 05-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was in the same boat, I bought this RCA tablet for $39.95, it works fine with Hotwire.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38693696?w...682752&veh=sem
Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by uscgretired
I was in the same boat, I bought this RCA tablet for $39.95, it works fine with Hotwire.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38693696?w...682752&veh=sem
quad core with one gig ram, and flash storage???? for 40 bux!.... haaahaaaa amazing

hows the battery life?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the wrench
quad core with one gig ram, and flash storage???? for 40 bux!.... haaahaaaa amazing

hows the battery life?
I keep it plugged into the charger, toss it in my pit bag when I go to the track, may or may not use it at the track, when I get home it goes on the charger. Honestly have no idea how the battery life is but seems like I noticed it was only down a little when I plug it in back in the charger, I always use an iPad, only use that device for my Tekin stuff.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jerm13
I use my phone. Galaxy 3s. It was free at Verizon but because it has been outdated by the Galaxy 4, 5 and now six.

You can get a cheap Android smart phone with WiFi and use that. $20 on E-bay...

But the only time I use my HotWire is to set my turbo. Everything else is done with the buttons...
problem with phones is you have to jailbreak em to run as a non cell connected computers, would be awesome as a programing aid due to size, i was almost ready to buy a laptop, due to price, than i thought, thats just too much to be seen with... im not that serious, but i wanted to have full scope of options to tinker with...

its really just to change the bec voltage and play with timing curves as i have 3 cars running tekin stuff, the buttons have been fine to this point but i need access to what the buttons wont cover...
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

I keep it plugged into the charger, toss it in my pit bag when I go to the track, may or may not use it at the track, when I get home it goes on the charger. Honestly have no idea how the battery life is but seems like I noticed it was only down a little when I plug it in back in the charger, I always use an iPad, only use that device for my Tekin stuff.
just thinking for outdoor where i have no a/c to run stuff, kinda just pack for the day without chargers and such, so if its wiped for bare bones use, would last the day on standby
Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

just thinking for outdoor where i have no a/c to run stuff, kinda just pack for the day without chargers and such, so if its wiped for bare bones use, would last the day on standby
It will last for the day, I will unplug it and let it sit for 24 hours to see what happens.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

I have the hotwire software working great on my Galaxy Note 3. Thats if you needed confirmation regarding Android device. I am also an Apple Die-Hard. I actually run Parallels on my macbook pro and have win8.1 and win7 virtual machines running on my mac. The hotwire app works great that way also. I was a little concerned it wouldnt because its a virtual machine, but havent had any issues. So the cheapest route is to install Parallels or Fusion on your mac, then windows and finally run the hotwire software that way. i dont pay for software, so that was the cheap route for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

15.5 hours off charger and it is at 97%.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lil Paul
I have the hotwire software working great on my Galaxy Note 3. Thats if you needed confirmation regarding Android device. I am also an Apple Die-Hard. I actually run Parallels on my macbook pro and have win8.1 and win7 virtual machines running on my mac. The hotwire app works great that way also. I was a little concerned it wouldnt because its a virtual machine, but havent had any issues. So the cheapest route is to install Parallels or Fusion on your mac, then windows and finally run the hotwire software that way. i dont pay for software, so that was the cheap route for me.
i have noooooo brand/moral ties to apple, the only reason their overpriced junk works so well is being linux based, but they figured out how to take away the beauty of linux and root control from a user, thats why apple is idiot proof... all my apple stuff is second/third hand so im no diehard, just like my toy cars, i rather use them that fix them... i as well dont pay for software, only because, it defeats the purpose of the user, i know people write this stuff.. but these days, who they write for pays salary, no independ dev guys to support and promote... so... to run a second os, have system conflicts... to program a toy car... is really too much work...
Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

15.5 hours off charger and it is at 97%.
i was gonna bite, than i saw a bunch of reviews with the lipo giving out... is your tablet over 5 months old?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

i was gonna bite, than i saw a bunch of reviews with the lipo giving out... is your tablet over 5 months old?

Yes, received it end of Nov 2014.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...tablet_-_black

This little guy can be found on sale around the $50 mark every so often. It is a Windows tablet, so you can run the full Hotwire version. You'd be able to update firmware that you can't do from the Android app.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.