Wiki Posts
Search

servo usage for 1/8 e buggy without bec

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default servo usage for 1/8 e buggy without bec

Hey guys

i am using 1/8 jammin x2 tekno conversion buggy. it is nice buggy. However, its weight a bit higher than commonly preferred buggies around 3900gr. i was using savox 1258 servo on it. it is plenty fast servo. However, when the car touches the surface, it does not handle it. So, i am considering buying new servo which is as fast as savox 1258 but generates more torque. I am thinking of buying futaba 9352sv servo. it can be used with lipos without regulator. If I buy 1100mah 2s lipo life battery and cancel esc's bec. Does it works very well with futaba servo? i am using hobbywing sct pro esc with lrp dynamic8 2000kv motor. May be if i go that way, i will able to reduce the abuse on the esc. Btw, I am using mt4 radio with rx 461 receiver.

Futaba 9352sv
Specifications:
Speed:
@ 6.6V: 0.07sec/60 deg.
@ 7.4V: 0.06sec/60 deg.
Torque:
@ 6.6V: 272 oz-in (19.6 kg cm)
@ 7.4V: 305 oz-in (22.0 kg cm)
Size: 40.5x21.0x37.4mm
Weight: 72g
Power Supply: 6.0~7.4V

Waiting for your opinions.

Last edited by murat61; 08-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how on earth do you go about cancelling the bec in the esc and run another external battery for the servo? I'm not sure you wont fry the receiver.
why does that make any sense whatsoever in the first place?

personally I'd cut my loses and just ditch that hobbywing and buy a viper vtx8. (never going to recommend a tekin RX8 till they change the flimsy housing that causes them to go up in flames from coming apart)

or there are servos that run on 6v that have that kind of torque and almost the same speeds. if you were serious about racing and really need that servo you wouldn't be running a hobbywing esc anyway. right?

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 08-16-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
how on earth do you go about cancelling the bec in the esc and run another external battery for the servo? I'm not sure you wont fry the receiver.

personally I'd cut my loses and just ditch that hobbywing and buy a viper vtx8. (never going to recommend a tekin RX8 till they change the flimsy housing that causes them to go up in flames from coming apart)

or there are servos that run on 6v that have that kind of torque and almost the same speeds. if you were serious about racing and really need that servo you wouldn't be running a hobbywing esc anyway. right?
I can use extra cable so that i can connect + - ports of servo directly to the lipo and signal cable to the receiver. So that servo can be fed by only lipo without risking esc. right? That servo is for unregulated lipos. i bought a vtx8 and esc was fried no reason. I am a foreigner. So, it is expensive to send it back. Also, i have to pay for resending from USA. hobbywing esc is just working fine. Most of the people is talking about how reliable this esc is. i just want to continue with this esc until it becomes useless. i can buy a savox 2274, however, i have a warranty problem. futaba servos offer 1 year warranty.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You should read up and learn before commenting.

To the OP, theres alot of HV servo's out there but if you're set on a $150 Futaba, well, ok then. But if the buggy is already on the porky side, I dont see how adding a small 2S lipo is gonna help any. Go with an external BEC (ie:Castle) and save some weight IMO.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yosh70

To the OP, theres alot of HV servo's out there but if you're set on a $150 Futaba, well, ok then. But if the buggy is already on the porky side, I dont see how adding a small 2S lipo is gonna help any. Go with an external BEC (ie:Castle) and save some weight IMO.
using bec makes more sense apparently. BTW, i can buy it for 120usd with Tower coupon codes
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do you purchase from HobbyKing from where you are? Bluebird servo's are a fantastic deal.
I picked up one (BMS28) for my buggy recently and with .10 speed and 388 oz/in torque for $60 + shipping, its alot of servo for the $$$ IMO.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Do you purchase from HobbyKing from where you are? Bluebird servo's are a fantastic deal.
I picked up one (BMS28) for my buggy recently and with .10 speed and 388 oz/in torque for $60 + shipping, its alot of servo for the $$$ IMO.
yea, i heard about it. However, hobbyking stuff is not reliable enough for me. I would rather pay 120 usd and use it like for 2 years. Also, i can buy hitec 7954
for 80usd from tower by paying 20usd more. it specs are 0.12sec/60degree and 403 oz/in torque at 7.4v
Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by murat61
yea, i heard about it. However, hobbyking stuff is not reliable enough for me. I would rather pay 120 usd and use it like for 2 years. Also, i can buy hitec 7954
for 80usd from tower by paying 20usd more. it specs are 0.12sec/60degree and 403 oz/in torque at 7.4v
You racing or just bashing?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is why I asked... I've never seen this or heard of anyone wanting to do it. seems a bit redundant when you're already running a lipo powered vehicle. especially if you're going to just use a 1100 mah one in it's place. it will more than likely not be able to provide as good of a power supply to the servo as the big battery.

and I don't understand why someone would demand the use of the top of the food chain servo but rely on using a hobbywing esc.
I picture a guy buying a $500 novarossi engine and putting it into a traxxas rustler to go racing. if you want it to work right buy the right stuff.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 08-17-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

this is why I asked... I've never seen this or heard of anyone wanting to do it. seems a bit redundant when you're already running a lipo powered vehicle. especially if you're going to just use a 1100 mah one in it's place. it will more than likely not be able to provide as good of a power supply to the servo as the big battery.

and I don't understand why someone would demand the use of the top of the food chain servo but rely on using a hobbywing esc.
I picture a guy buying a $500 novarossi engine and putting it into a traxxas rustler to go racing. if you want it to work right buy the right stuff.
i was just asking your opinions to learn whether it makes sense or not. But, the novarossi analogy is a bit cruel. Hobbywing esc's are not that crap. it is cheap and may be its specs are lower than vtx8 but it is competitive and reliable brand.
I wanted to increase the standart of my electronics and i just wanted to start with servo.
Whatever, i have a savox 1256 servo, plenty enough torque but a bit slow. i think i am gonna go with it for a while.