Wiki Posts
Search

AMB's update of decoder .. MRT transponders will not work

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
We will need new transponders this year. Now I'm wondering: how can I be sure to have a transponder that will work with all decoders now and in a near future?
The MyLaps RC4 Hybrid will work with both the existing and new systems (hence the 'hybrid' name).
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Our club have an old AMB RC2 decoder and we will send it to Mylaps to be upgraded to the new Mylaps RC4 decoder. We did notice on the New Mylaps transponder we are having issues with the transponder not getting picked up and sometimes it shows different transponder#... I called Mylaps today they basically told me that we have to upgrade the old AMBRC2 decoder to the newest Mylaps RC4 decoder for us to continue racing without conflicts reading the transponder. For $350 its not bad but with sofware they are developing the old PT will no longer work so everyone will be force to use the new Mylaps RC4 transponder talking about monopoly.... A lot of us still use the old AMBRC PT and all of the new guys have the newest Mylaps transponder so it will suck to all that have the old AMBRC PT....
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

In case anyone is curious, You can upgrade from your older systems to the new system for $330. You could probably get a few racers to pitch in for it.

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e...2_rc3v3_to_rc4
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bishop
Actually something I noticed in the CAD type pics seems to be a good giveaway as to what version RC4 you have...

http://www.rcmart.com/mylaps-transpo...l-p-35954.html

Looks like the new RC4 has 3 wires, but I'm kind of mystified as to why it would need a hookup to your RX signal, unless there is more planned that has yet to be mentioned.
At the outset, battery voltage during run time and ambient temperature will be transmitted by the new "purcy" transponder. Additional telemetry type data is planned for the future. That's the reason for the hookup.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
Just a heads-up... there was already a whole thread on this earlier this year when the change was announced, and a guy on RCtech is working on homebrewing a solution ( he even replied here)....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...p-madness.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...er-design.html
I also have a thread on a decoder design to be compatible with existing AMB and MRT transponders:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...g-decoder.html

It's not as far along as the transponder design, and of course is a much greater challenge. But I'm still interested in it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Our club have an old AMB RC2 decoder and we will send it to Mylaps to be upgraded to the new Mylaps RC4 decoder. We did notice on the New Mylaps transponder we are having issues with the transponder not getting picked up and sometimes it shows different transponder#... I called Mylaps today they basically told me that we have to upgrade the old AMBRC2 decoder to the newest Mylaps RC4 decoder for us to continue racing without conflicts reading the transponder. For $350 its not bad but with sofware they are developing the old PT will no longer work so everyone will be force to use the new Mylaps RC4 transponder talking about monopoly.... A lot of us still use the old AMBRC PT and all of the new guys have the newest Mylaps transponder so it will suck to all that have the old AMBRC PT....
You can trade in the amb pt and $36, for an rc4.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

BBK is advertising that all legacy AMB/my laps transponders will work with the new decoder....

http://www.bbksoftware.com/pricelist...nent-sales.htm
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have to say, with a few places now advertising the new RC4 transponders, it's not looking so great, mainly because thus far the new transponders are being listed as more expensive than the current Hybrids by re-sellers.

My worst fear in all of this, is MyLaps locking up their systems, and then ass reaming racers for the privilege, part of this is like looking at some things on their site, like I just noticed they now want something like $50 to re-register a Hybrid with a new user.
People come and go in RC, many people will always be using used transponders, MyLaps asking $50 just to transfer a transponder to a new user is absurd (It will all but kill off anyone using their online services).

As it's looking right now anyway, I'm not sure we have seen anything all that good from MyLaps, there was a move towards making transponders cheaper when the Hybrid came out, that seems to have crept up, also they are all but locking out re-sellers as well, barely any can match their online pricing, end result, they want all the sales obviously, and I'd not be surprised if prices crept up now, with a even bigger jump when and if they faze out the hybrids.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

We have the RC4 Decoder, and does pick up ALL amb transponders, even the rechargeable AMBRC transponders without a hiccup.

What I did notice is, whoever makes software, must make it compliant with the new features in the new transponders, otherwise you wont get the extra benefits of RC4 transponders.

The hybrid transponders do send info on voltage and temp.. not unique car ID.

I did have our new RC4 Decoder hooked up with the serial port, using Alycat software, and it worked perfectly picking up every transponder we had that was AMB. However, MRT transponders were at a 25 to 50 percent loss in lap counts. Some MRT that were tried were a 100% loss.

The bottom line is, if you like to race, and want to have laps counted, you need to upgrade your transponders, and right now is probably the only time it will ever be this cheap. As tracks upgrade to RC4, you will need to upgrade or be left out.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I asked My-Laps how this all works, this is their answer.

The older transponders are compatible with the new RC4 decoder. However, the new RC4 Transponders (non-hybrid) are NOT backwards compatible--therefore, the new RC4's will only work on the RC4 decoder. All existing transponders will work on the RC4 decoder.

I do not need the transponder info that bad, I will keep my original AMB transponders. As far as upgrading the decoder we are working at that.

Tom
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Out of all this the important part for me is the fact that ALL AMB PT's will still work. Only ones who will have an issue as far as getting laps counted are those with MRT's.

I don't care about the "new" features, I'll keep the 4 AMBrc's I have.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

And also that its only a matter of time before new clones are working on the new amb system..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

please help me understand they're saying that there is a trad-in policy on the MRT transponders?

what is the out of pocket cost? Can someone provide a link please? Thank you
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

I there any way to verify if the transponder is a "hybrid" version of the RC4 just by looking at it?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dan-o
please help me understand they're saying that there is a trad-in policy on the MRT transponders?

what is the out of pocket cost? Can someone provide a link please? Thank you
http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e...s/B2C/rc/shop2

The two on the bottom right are for trade in of mrt/dp to rc4 and rc4 hybrid.. This is the USA mylaps link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.