Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Team Orion Vortex R8 Pro ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i have one orion r8 esc with long motor 1950 kv and i love it i run 5 pack on my rc8.2e buggy and i havent issue it i will buy other orion r8 pro esc with motor for my truggy soon when i turn on esc and i notice that fan keep run it ,
it is normal ?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by taztal3
i have one orion r8 esc with long motor 1950 kv and i love it i run 5 pack on my rc8.2e buggy and i havent issue it i will buy other orion r8 pro esc with motor for my truggy soon when i turn on esc and i notice that fan keep run it ,
it is normal ?
My fan runs all the time also on my R8.

Brian
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

i check on program box , notice that #12 motor rotate , 1-ccw 2-cw ?
what stand for ccw, cw ? also what restore default for ? i want make sure that all thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

clock wise, counter clock wise.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by taztal3
i check on program box , notice that #12 motor rotate , 1-ccw 2-cw ?
what stand for ccw, cw ? also what restore default for ? i want make sure that all thanks
As was stated, Counter Clock-Wise and Clock-Wise.

It makes a difference depending on how your motor is positioned in your chassis. If the can of the motor faces foreword or backwards, it will change the settings. Genius IMO to simply tell the computer to adjust. Beats having to try and re-program and or swap wires.

Momo
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

It's time to freshen up this thread a little bit.
Is this ESC so unpopular or does it work flawlessly for everyone and that's why there is so little activity here?

I'm experiencing some extremely bad customer service from Tekin and that's the reason I want to choose something else. To make a long story short, I've sent my new combo (which was defective right out of the box) to them and after 3 months of waiting I received an information that in ten days it SHOULD be sent back to me. I won't even comment it.

Coming back to the topic.
How are your Orions performing in terms durability and performance? How is this ESC being programmed? Is there a software included or the programming card is needed (similar to the Xerun)?

I'm thinking about the R8 pro + MR8 1950kV combo.
Can you compare it to the Tekin T8 1900kV?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Very hot temps with Orion R8 Pro

Hello,

As I stated in a previous post, the fan on my ESC broke after 3 runs. Temps went from 150 to 185 when running without the fan, so I have a question.

I have had to gear down to a 14 tooth pinion (44 spur) in order to keep the motor and ESC below 180, and now my car is a DOG down the straight-away.

What is everyone running as far as motor and gearing with this ESC? I tried an Orion 2100, but the ESC shut off after 4 minutes with a motor temp of 213, even with the 14 pinion!!!

With a Tekin 2050, the ESC is not shutting off, but the temps are about 185, and the car is still SLOW down the straight.

Do I just need to get an Orion 1900 kV motor, or even a 1700kV???

I need some help here, as I am ready to throw this ESC and motor in the trash (Horizon Hobby is useless as far as tech support. I have called them 4 times with a promise from them to call back, but they never do).

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

i broken my fan after three run on my buggy i forget check on temp esc/motor . 16/46 what pinion gear on orion 1950kv ?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glolar
Hello,

As I stated in a previous post, the fan on my ESC broke after 3 runs. Temps went from 150 to 185 when running without the fan, so I have a question.

I have had to gear down to a 14 tooth pinion (44 spur) in order to keep the motor and ESC below 180, and now my car is a DOG down the straight-away.

What is everyone running as far as motor and gearing with this ESC? I tried an Orion 2100, but the ESC shut off after 4 minutes with a motor temp of 213, even with the 14 pinion!!!

With a Tekin 2050, the ESC is not shutting off, but the temps are about 185, and the car is still SLOW down the straight.

Do I just need to get an Orion 1900 kV motor, or even a 1700kV???

I need some help here, as I am ready to throw this ESC and motor in the trash (Horizon Hobby is useless as far as tech support. I have called them 4 times with a promise from them to call back, but they never do).

Thanks in advance.
What vehicle are you running this in?

When you say its a dog down the straight-a-way, where are you topping out down that straight away.

In general for 1/8 electric, I usually start my gearing so that I top out towards the end of the longest straight, and adjust from there. Usually, its about 1 - 2 pinion teeth lower, max if at all.

If you find you are topping out right away and are at full throttle a lot, you could be over-revving the motor. That will make temp issues worse as you go down in pinion size.

Looking at the pics and specs on the orion motor, it "appears" to be similar in size to a Tekin motor?

But, as I have heard, people are having issues with them unfortunately.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

should i send out my orion r8 esc/ motor to team orion company to check up ?
i broken my fan if they can replacement my fan for esc ? let me know i have my orion r8 esc/ motor 7month old that all
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Legend

they may consider the fan a consumable item and you will just have to buy a new one if they do.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

should i buy new fan for esc ? right
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Legend

I would contact orion and see what they say.

If the fans they have apparently don't appear to be very robust, maybe look for another option that will work on the ESC, or, wire up a higher voltage fan direct to the power wires on the ESC and use that. This is what we did back in the day on the old Mamba Max ESCs we used in 1/8 electric after bypassing the BEC. worked well.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Very hot temps with Orion R8 Pro

Cain,

The vehicle is a Tekno EB48 prototype.

The vehicle was run at the recent JBRL round at Pegasus Hobbies, and did not appear to top out at all (either that, or the top speed was not very fast). Other vehicles were pulling on the Tekno buggy.

My son was the driver (not me), so I am going on what he told me, and my observations. The car is just SLOW with the 44 spur, 14 pinion, Orion R8 Pro and Tekin 2050 motor. (As stated, when the Orion 2100 motor is used with this setup, temps hit 213 degrees before the ESC shut down).

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Legend

with the gearing you mentioned and using this chart:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

looks like the vehicle was geared for about 30mph assuming a 2100kv motor, 14.8V nominal voltage, and 4.1 inch diameter tires.

That kind of speed range I was using on an indoor 50 x 50 track. Looking at the pictures here:

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Ra...ing/pages.html

am I correct in estimating the straight was about 80 - 100 ft straightaway (seeing about 11 parking spots, 8 feet or so spot width)?

You may want to ask him how his throttle application was around the rest of the track.

Did he feel that he needed a lot of throttle going around, or did he need very little throttle pull to get around the track?

I would also have him confirm that he either A) didn't top out down the straight or B) didn't have enough top speed down the straight . Those two would mean different things as far as which way to go for gearing.

this of course is assuming he isn't running any timing settings, etc. In general in 1/8 electric, I haven't found the need for any of that at all. the motors in general over power the car.

I would have thought with the Tekin for sure (as this is the motor I use in my Tekno V4 D8 with 44T spur gear, 15T Pinion, albeit 4.3 diff ratio) but similar speed on the track size I mentioned) you would have plenty of zip, I know do.

But with the Orion ESC, maybe there is more to it than what I have setup the Tekin, Castle, and Speed Passion ones to do.

By the way, man that must be awesome to run that buggy right now! LUCKY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.